What music are you listening to?

Benji

Just listen to First and Second, rest of their stuff is pretty boring. Have never liked Blue Record and thought Yellow/Green was pretty weak, but not because of their change of direction. I think they think they are far better songwriters than they actually are.

Oh god, Thrice is a fucking terrible band. On a good note, new Bass Drum of Death is solid and "No Demons" may be a monster.

EDIT: It isn't, it's just solid.

EDIT 2: Yeah, solid album all through I think. Will give it a few more spins in the coming days to see if I can dig anything out of it. Doesn't have any immediate bangers like "Nerve Jamming" and "Get Found," though.

Concerning Baroness; they are great song-writers and, personally, I think that really shows on The Red Album. There are a lot of interesting post-metal cuts on there that makes that album really enjoyable for me. Blue Record not so much and I think Yellow & Green turned out the way it did because of John Baizley either blowing his voice out or sensing that it would happen. At least, that was the vibe I got from them when they played Roskilde last year because there were a lot of early songs where Baizley toned it down with the vocals.

Today I dug further into the El-P discography, with Cancer 4 Cure from last year. And honestly, I really enjoyed it. His mic skills might not be the best, but they certainly aren't bad at all and god damn it, the production on this album is fucking genius. The following might be a bit of a knee-jerk reaction but Cancer 4 Cure might be my favorite El-P record so far. I can't wait to give Run The Jewels a spin tomorrow before Roskilde.

Anyways, on to the list! Lots of stuff happening.

Debuted
Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn
aivi & surasshu - The Black Box

Top Ten
1. Helen Money - Arriving Angels
2. Redwood Hill - Descender
3. Det Nopsus - Det Nopsus
4. Disclosure - Settle
5. Kvelertak - Meir
6. Iceage - You're Nothing
7. Humanfly - Awesome Science
8. Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn
9. Boris - Präparat
10. Shugo Tokumaru - In Focus?

The Great
11. The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
12. Peer Group - Brutalist Sketches in the Style of Water-Stained Concrete
13. Kavinsky - OutRun
14. Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
15. A$AP Rocky - LONG.LIVE.A$AP
16. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
17. James Blake - Overgrown
18. Thundercat - Apocalypse
19. Charles Bradley - Victim Of Love
20. Wormed - Exodromos
21. David Bowie - The Next Day

The Good
22. aivi & surasshu - The Black Box
23. Mountains - Centralia
24. Cult of Luna - Vertikal
25. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
26. Dirty Knobs - A Disenchanted Snake
27. Alberich - Guard Tower: Cassette Works, Vol. 1
28. Albetich - Fortification: Cassette Works, Vol. 2
29. Woodkid - The Golden Age
30. Otis Taylor - My World Is Gone

The Alright
31. Suuns - Images Du Futur
32. inc. - No World
33. Snoop Lion - Reincarnated
34. My Bloody Valentine - m b v
35. Tomahawk - Oddfellows
36. Nosaj Thing - Home

Ech, No More
37. Foals - Holy Fire
38. Portal - Vexovoid
39. Emancipator - Dusk to Dawn

Concerning Baroness; they are great song-writers and, personally, I think that really shows on The Red Album. There are a lot of interesting post-metal cuts on there that makes that album really enjoyable for me. Blue Record not so much and I think Yellow & Green turned out the way it did because of John Baizley either blowing his voice out or sensing that it would happen. At least, that was the vibe I got from them when they played Roskilde last year because there were a lot of early songs where Baizley toned it down with the vocals.

I liked Red Album a ton when it first came out, and like I said, First and Second prove they can put a song together, but I guess what I mean is that they overstretched themselves with the proggy stuff. What I hear is a lot of pretty noodling with not much more complexity than that. Their best songs are still their full metal ones because I feel like they actually do show a lot of range and complexity with those. Them sliding into prog has not really done them any favors.

Thrice was a frustrating band to me. I'd catch a song here or a song there that would pique my interest, only to have the album just disappoint.

Loved...about half of Baroness "Yellow & Green". Would've been a monstrous single album, but still holds up as a decent introduction to someone who didn't want screaming all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86-XrU8sh60

Probably my favorite song off of my favorite album from Alice Cooper, and possibly one of my favorite albums ever. They had a great catalog of music, even the sort of psychedelic acid rock they were doing before they released Love It To Death was really good.

I actually think Alice Cooper wrote great lyrics, they're always remembered as a great hard rock band, and obviously for their stage performances. But they are actually a great band, as far as being great musicians, and as I said, writing great lyrics. "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandee In A Gold Rolls Royce, I wanna be Elected!!"

Second spin of Bass Drum of Death's new self-titled and digging it a lot more than listen 1. Think it's because now I am comparing it to itself rather than comparing to the first one. Still not as good as their first album but very solid.

You should check this band out, VP, think it's right up your alley.

Alternating between three things stuck in my head today;

I was listening to this one on the way to work, so that explains that. It's also a brilliant little song.

This, because I've listened to it an obscene amount lately. It's my entrance theme for CIW, and I'm wrestling on Sunday, so I've been using it to try and get into the right mindset, and think of some things to incorporate into my entrance or something.

And finally...

Because I challenge you not to get this stuck in your head.

THE WIZAAAAHHHHD!

Excellent band, been too long since I've listened. Come to the opinion that "Barbarian" is just an okay song that I super dug because I heard it just as I was getting into Conan, but I'll always have a soft spot for it. Standouts on Dopethrone are obviously "Vinum Sabbathi," "I, the Witchfinder," and "Dopethrone." Also love "The Hills Have Eyes" but it's a <1 minute track, doesn't really count.

Akimbo's Navigating the Bronze. Not their best but super fun... I dunno, hardcore? Whatever you want to call it.

Though I hate that our office has cracked down on videos at work, I love that it's helped me rediscover music.

Grails's Deep Politics. Hard to imagine I was not really into this album when I first heard it, it's amazing. Also, Electric Wizard is forever like a handful of listens away from Grails on my last.fm, then I listen to Grails again and the gap widens.