What music are you listening to?

Benji

I've become hooked on the Sunset Takeover, who have got six songs out on iTunes, all of which are covers of songs by female artists. Their version of Poker Face is actually awesome, and I might even like it more than GaGa's original. Which is kind of blasphemy, but...ya never know.

My friend gave me both (assuming they've only done 2) Brand New albums. Listening to the one without the spaceman on the cover and has the song "Sowing Season" on it as the opener. Pretty damn good.

I'm busy listening to 'Only by the Night' by Kings of Leon. I know some people are saying there are only four good songs on it (Closer, Crawl, Use Somebody and Sex on Fire), but they are wrong. 'Notion', 'Revelry' and 'Cold Desert' are absolute tunes. Well worth the £7 I paid for it.

I'm busy listening to 'Only by the Night' by Kings of Leon. I know some people are saying there are only four good songs on it (Closer, Crawl, Use Somebody and Sex on Fire), but they are wrong.

No, no they are right. Which is a great shame seeing as Because Of The Times was awesomely awesome and their other two albums were just as good. :(

k-os' "I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman" is one of the best k-os songs I've heard in a long time and easily hip-hop track of the year so far. In fact, his whole new album is a lovely step back to his hip-hop roots.

Listening to Weezer's Blue album. Haven't listened to it in years, it's so awesome. Brings back some great memories of junior high.

Listening to the re-issue of "Kicking Against The Pricks" by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds...which is a little odd, as the tracklisting's different to the original release, and a couple of the tracks that were on the original CD release now only appear as bonus tracks on the additional DVD. But still, it's a massively under-rated Nick Cave album in my opinion, and I think it marks a real turning point in his career, which is odd for a covers album, but it really seems to lead Cave further away from the visceral music of the Birthday Party and a lot of the early Bad Seeds' material, and towards the goth-crooner direction he's more famous for. Not to mention just having some bloody great songs, though his cover of "All Tomorrow's Parties" is pretty naff.

Also, new The Boy Least Likely To. Has its lyrical flair, and some really nice moments, but nothing's jumped out at me like the last album did yet. All very sweet with a little undercurrent of sadness and loneliness, but never encapsulated in a couple of lines in the same way the first album managed time and time again. Difficult second album and all that.

Finally, listening to loads of Jake Thackray - especially "Family Tree", "Sister Josephine" and "Isobel Makes Love Upon National Monuments", which are some of the wittiest songs ever written, and falling completely in love with "Old Molly Metcalfe", which is so unlike anything else I've heard of his, and genuinely really quite haunting and a little unsettling in places. A beautiful, beautiful song though, which I'd be half-tempted to start playing myself if I thought I could ever do it any justice.

And finally, a fair bit of Alex Harvey, because I love his voice. Just strained Glaswegian demented mentalism - his pronunciation of "mobile army whorehouse" absolutely makes his version of Jacques Brel's "Next".