What music are you listening to?

Benji

Been listening to Alexisonfire a fair bit lately, especially "Mailbox Arson". I love the lines that Dallas sings for the chorus:

I watch the smoke start to rise,

One hundred homes one hundred fires,

Everything you own now burns away

This town is no longer mine,

It's fucked with me for the last time,

How I wish I could see your face.

And because of that, I decided to check out City and Colour for the first time. Why did I wait so long? Whilst the songs I have sound somewhat happy, they are incredibly sad at the same time, quite a strange emotion. It's still pretty good though, one of the reasons why I've been listening to Alexisonfire is the contrast between Dallas' voice and the other guy's (I'm not a fan of the largely inaudible screaming).

Old Crows/Young Cardinals? Yeah, only the past week or so though. I think I prefer Crisis though myself. OC/YC is a lot more... intense I suppose. Thjough that said the track Young Cardinals is good, as is one of the middle tracks (name I'm not sure of, possibly 'The Norther') and the final track Burial is amazing.

Not heard anything before Crisis though, which is what how my friend introduced them to me through.

EDIT: Just heard all of Sometimes by City and Colour. Goddamn, "Comin' Home" is amazing.

Edited by TheModernWay

Every copy of Peter Andre's new album was bought by a single bored housewife from Essex.

Ah, Katie Price?

Speaking of which, if it gets to number one, then British music scene is even worse than I thought. <_<

Edited by TheModernWay
  • Like 1

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Was at the Brantford International Jazz Festival for most of the weekend. Today was FAR better than yesterday (although yesterday did have a dixieland band and a PROG ROCK GROUP). Shuffle Demons put on a great show, including dancing their way around the crowd, and Peter Appleyard (81-year-old vibraphonist) was fucking amazing, including a drum solo and a piano solo. Plus I didn't realize his drummer was going to be Kevin Dempsey (once adjudicated my high school band and gave me some good tips), so that was an awesome surprise.

I now return you to your regular non-jazz music.

Random shuffle gave me excellent jazz today. "Blue Train" by John Coltrane is perfect music for a sunny Sunday afternoon in downtown Seattle.

Also of interest to Cloudy only; Mirah has a new album out and it's really good. On the whole I might like it more than Advisory Committee or C'Mon Miracle, but probably not as much as You Think It's Like This But Really It's Like This.

A random person just tipped me off to an Icelandic group called "Amiina" so I headed to youtube, loaded up

and got a bit excited.

Like a stripped down Sigur Ros I'd say. Beautiful. Four lasses who play loads of different instruments from violins, cellos and xylophones to bells, music boxes...All kinds of stuff. Totally dreamlike stuff.