What music are you listening to?

Benji

This last week has seen me listen to loads of Pearl Jam, forcing me to try and get into their stuff after only 'getting' Ten.

And I've made room for listening to albums that I haven't listened to in absolutely ages: Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Meddle, (Bowie's) Low, "Heroes".

And also started listening to more of The Rolling Stones and Leonard Cohen.

In other words, I've spent the week realising why I love music :)

Giving the new Alice In Chains, "Black Gives Way to Blue", it's first spin... on the second track "Check My Brain", which I've already heard and is awesome. More thoughts later...

UPDATE: DuVall ain't no Staley, but god damn is he good. It feels exactly like Alice in Chains. The heavy ones are heavy, the softer ones are melodic. If Layne was still around, I imagine that AIC would've come out with something very similar to this anyway. Great stuff.

With Pearl Jam last week and now Alice in Chains this week both putting out fantastic new albums... is grunge back? I hope so.

Edited by TheModernWay

As my current display name/everything else implies, I am really into Pizzicato Five right now. I just got one of their US compilations, The Sound of Music off of eMusic on Sunday night and they are just so great. My definition of a glorious song is a song that, when it plays, makes you suddenly forget everything else no matter how bad things are getting, and you're suddenly focused on this fucking awesome song and odds are you're inclined to dance to it or sing along with it. Pizzicato Five has a ton of those songs. The latest of which, "Happy Sad," is in my sig right now. It pretty much hits my weakness for danceable retro-sounding pop music. Especially recommended for anyone who likes Jamiroquai because they're really in the same boat for me.

Had the new AIC on again earlier, this time at full volume. I may end up liking having only the one 1 hour class at 9am on the Thursday. :shifty:

Also, like The General, I too have been listening to a fucktonne of Pearl Jam, barring one or two day non-consecutive days, I think I've listened to Backspacer every day since I've had it. It really is fantastic.

Anyway, although I'm technically not listening to them, me and my friends saw The Guns at a club on Tuesday night. We finished uni earlier than we thought we would (5 instead of 8) and were bored, so wanted to do something. Our one friend wasn't gonna come out, but in the end he suggested The Guns (who he's seen 4 times already). They're music isn't really my thing, but they were good live. The two of us were just stood there as we hadn't heard them before, whilst the other (and the rest of the crowd) did. I remember one song ("Listen Up" IIRC) having one hell of a fucking riff in the middle of it though. It's a shame I can't find that song/riff on the internet.

This also means I've doubled my overall gig count now. :shifty:

Edited by TheModernWay

I'm listening to The Stranglers with a proper appreciation of them for the first time and yes I'm probably too old to be appreciating them for the first time.

The waltz harpsichord of Golden Brown is just incredible. Really really mindblowing and the video is really beautiful too.

I'm loving Peaches cos I've been using its' simple but iconic bassline to practice bass with.

No More Heroes is a good old dirty piece as is Get A Grip On Yourself.

Strange Little Girl is awesome too.

I'm currently going through Rammstein's new album "Liebe ist für alle da" for the first time. I'm really really liking this album. The opening song "Rammlied" is the absolute finest Rammstein song of the decade, and later songs like "Waidmanns Heil" and the title track "Liebe ist für alle da" are really cool too. Okay, the lead single "Pussy" isn't anything to write home about, but as a whole, this is definitely their best album since "Mutter". Recommended.

EDIT: After a few listens, I have to take that back a bit. The first half of the album is really, really strong, but the latter half falls short. Only the title track stands out from the latter half of the album. Still, a good album... But not as good as I thought at first.

Edited by Jayzon

Been listening to the Eddie Vedder cover of the Ramones' "I Believe in Miracles" which I downloaded by accident thinking it was something else ages ago, quite a fair bit. I didn't like it at first, but the last week after playing it by accident and my Vedder/Pearl Jam love growing a lot, this song has too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z8V-2yqRag

Edited by TheModernWay

Listening to Slayer's "World Painted Blood" for the first time. An okay album, but nothing really stands out. Sort of "paint-by-numbers-Slayer". Has all the elements you'd expect from a Slayer album, and nothing else. The screeching solos from Hanneman and King, the evil/murder/blood/destruction vocals from Araya and great drumming from Lombardo. Not a bad album at all, but nothing great either.

Edited by Jayzon

For me, Editors were the classic example of one of those bands that you would like when you were younger but later on realise that they really weren't that good.

i still enjoy parts of their first album, second album was all shit. However, I'm actually really enjoying their third album so far. The one that all the critics are ragging on as being a Depeche Mode rip off or whatever. Papillon is a really good song and the singer has a fantastic voice. It's not an amazing album by any means but good and solid. I'm quite pleased for them.

I finally remembered to bring my MP3 player to class with me and managed to get through a couple albums today.

Stars of Track and Field - A Time for Lions

Slaughterhouse - Slaughterhouse

Cage - Depart from Me

All very different, all very good.

The new Creed album 'Full Circle' is decent and will turn out to be their best effort to date. They're really held back by Scott Stapp though, so I hope this isn't the end for Alter Bridge.

The new Weezer album 'Raditude' is fucking awful. How it has been getting good reviews is beyond me. Musically they're out of ideas, and lyrically Rivers Cuomo is getting creepy. Really creepy. The moustache on the cover of the 'Red Album' was a foreshadow for his creepiness.

And finally, the new Devin Townsend album is fantastic. Anneke van Giersbergen's vocals are astounding and compliment Devin's music very well.

I've become addicted to Girl Talk's Feed the Animals album.

If you're not familiar with Girl Talk, it's just a DJ who mixes old and new songs together, and they make for really fun stuff. I totally recommend the album if you're looking for something dancey.

Also been remembering just why Into the Great Wide Open by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers is my favorite album ever. There's not a bad song to be found on there.

Florence + The Machine - You've Got The Love (XX Remix)

Empire Of The Sun - Walking On A Dream

I've been listening to the above five songs on a pretty much infinite loop for the last week. Hasn't yet become annoying/boring. Will hopefully avail myself of all the respective albums in the near future - I need some relatively new (as in anything in 2009) music in my life, methinks. Last album I bought was the bloody White Lies' debut - and that was January, I think >_<.

Edited by badotori