What music are you listening to?

Benji

Oh Stravinsky is amazing! What were you listening to? I love L'oiseau de feu. I saw the RSNO play some of it once. It was fantastic.

I was being a populist bitch and listening to the Rites Of Spring. Must admit my knowledge doesn't stretch much further.

I've listened to lots of good stuff recently, such as albums by the Delgados, Aberfeldy, Beta Band, the Aliens, Mull Historical Society, Vaughan Williams, Sunset Rubdown, yourcodenameis:milo, Cap'n Jazz, Galaxie 500, White Denim, Bohren & Der Club of Gore, Vivian Girls, Luke Haines, Josef K(cause Paul Haig has a new album out that I cannot find anywhere so I am consoling myself with this), the Fall(newer stuff), N.W.A., Rolling Stones live stuff cause they were far better live and Gershwin. Oh and Now 74. >_>

All were good fun.

Also listened to new live album by Paul McCartney. It's a very professional performance and I do enjoy it but it just doesn't seem quite right. Something played on Ukulele is fantastic though.

Also listened to this which must be one of the best compilation albums ever. :wub:

I watched a documentary about the 50th anniversary of the defining albums of the careers of Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Ornette Coleman and Charles Mingus. I enjoy all of the albums, particularly Kind of Blue. Like so many other people, it introduced me to Jazz music, and despite the relatively large number of Jazz albums I've listened to in that time, it remains my favourite, though Keith Jarrett live in Cologne isn't miles off.

I would like Adam Green's new album too.

Listening to Dinosaur Jr.'s latest album, my first experience of them. Pretty darn good dirty simple rock, though mid-way through it gets a little samey, much the same complaint of Them Crooked Vultures as above. However, the lengthy solo on in the 9 minute wonder of "I Don't Wanna Go There" is super.

My mate gave me a bunch of stuff the other day, some I've listened to, some I've not.

3 Doors Down discography.

Listened to "Away from the Sun" (feat. "Here Without You") and the "Seventeen Days" (feat. "Behind Those Eyes") albums so far. Away From The Sun is way better than Seventeen Days. In the end, inoffensive, easy-to-listen-to rock.

Silverstein - A Shipwreck in the Sand

Ok so granted I missed a portion of the first half cooking, but yeah, no, not my thing.

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie & Infinite Sadness (CD 2 only)

This was through a mutual friend (damn her with not giving him the first CD too :shifty:). I didn't mind the Pumpkins, I found them musically to be what I liked, but Corgan's voice grated a bit. But this is a great album. Later 'acquired' the first CD too, and yep, great album.

Mad Season - Above

Side project featuring Layne Staley (Alice in Chains), Mike McCready (Pearl Jam) and someone from Screaming Trees/Skin Yard. Not Staley's or McCready's best work, and does basically seem like Ten-Vitalogy era Pearl Jam with Staley singing. Pretty good nonethless, but "River of Deceit" which I've had for years rises above everything else on it.

Jerry Cantrell - Degradation Trip (Volumes 1 & 2 edition)

Similiar to Mad Season, not Cantrell's best work. Features some cool songs though and is largely good. Interesting fact: the touring band for Cantrell (as well as appearing in a video or two) featured the Faith No More drummer Mike Bordin and future Metallica/past Suicidal Tendencies bassist Robert Trujillo, both of whom were playing for Ozzy Osbourne at the time.

oh my word. Everyone must listen to Dave Rawlings Machine album. Particularly covers of Cortez the Killer (Neil Young), Method Acting (Bright Eyes) and to Be Young (Ryan Adams). I love a good fiddle I do.

Also got the I'm Not There soundtrack which I am looking forward to listening to. Good choice of songs too. Some more later stuff would be good but One More Cup Of Coffee should be fun.

Also want Adam Green's new one. I love Adam Green.

Got Pugwash's greatest hits because I heard it's nice to be nice which is brilliant.

Will also probably eventually get Lyle Lovett.

Reissue of Get Yer Ya Yas out by Rolling Stones is amazing. Has some extra songs like Satisfaction and stuff but also an AMAZING support set from tina turner with Sweet Soul Music(!), Proud Mary and a cover of Come together that is far better than the Beatles version. Not to mention that the Rolling Stones set is obviously amazing too. Midnight Rambler being particularly brilliant. I always preferred their live LPs to studio stuff.

So somehow though my endless surfing through Youtube I found a metal band called Savatage, specifically their album "The Wake of Magellan". Great, great stuff. While the album as a whole is great, their last song "The Hourglass" can only be described as epic. It's what I can only decribe as Symphonic Metal fused with Queen.

Things I have been listening to -

Steve Albini's original mix of Nirvana's "In Utero" - the mix that Geffen deemed unlistenable and unreleaseable, and drafted in the fella who produced R.E.M to tidy it up into the album that actually saw the light of day. Now I'm a sucker for anything Steve Albini touches, and for the most part this is great - In Utero wasn't a bad album in the first place, and most of it's pretty much untouched - the drums feel a little more isolated, which is to be expected, though they're not quite as loud as in most Albini productions...the bass is much more pronounced, which makes some of the songs feel a little grungier. The standout tracks, though, are "All Apologies" which feels much heavier and more anguished, and has the cello part brought to the fore much more than in the released version, and "Heart Shaped Box" which sounds absolutely sick - takes a little while before you notice anything too different, but the guitar solo sounds utterly demented, feedbacking and going out of phase in a really rubbish tinny way, it's brilliant.

Merzbow's "Merzbuddha"...which is about as listenable as Merzbow gets on his own - touches on elements of industrial and even techno music. It's not easy listening, but I wasn't exactly expecting it to be.

"Damn Right, Rebel Proud" by Hank Williams III which is what it is, quite frankly - angry hillbilly rock. As expected.

Edited by Skummy

I've been checking out previews of songs on iTunes then looking up the songs on Youtube. Checking out some Jpop and downloaded the video for Gackt's song "Ghost". Sucks that iTunes has almost nothing by Kodi Kumi and no Ayumi Hamasaki videos (songs yes, videos, no), but I can probably get those off Veoh. Bought the greatest music video of all time a few days ago. Namely, "Sabotage"!

So somehow though my endless surfing through Youtube I found a metal band called Savatage, specifically their album "The Wake of Magellan". Great, great stuff. While the album as a whole is great, their last song "The Hourglass" can only be described as epic. It's what I can only decribe as Symphonic Metal fused with Queen.

The real, best version of Savatage ended when Criss Oliva was killed by a drunk driver in 1993. If you've ever heard of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, they're a spin-off from Savatage, believe it or not.

And look up the song "Gutter Ballet", which is Savatage's most well-known song. Jon Oliva even performs it with his other band, Jon Oliva's Pain.

Edited by GhostMachine

The real, best version of Savatage ended when Criss Oliva was killed by a drunk driver in 1993. If you've ever heard of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, they're a spin-off from Savatage, believe it or not.

And look up the song "Gutter Ballet", which is Savatage's most well-known song. Jon Oliva even performs it with his other band, Jon Oliva's Pain.

Yeah I've looked through some Trans-Siberian ORchestra but their stuff on youtube is limited.

I've been slowly aquiring as much Savatage music as I can. At the moment I have the Wake of Magellan album, Gutter Ballet, Streets and I'm trying to get Sirens now.

Few different albums here and there. First there's The Cool Kids' album Bake Sale, very good Hip Hop album with a mix of old school and honest lyrics. Various songs by a band called Flight 409, Lil Wayne's latest mix tape, No Ceilings, and last but not least, Drake "Drizzy" Rogers' second mix tape, Comeback Season.

Oh, and I just got back into listening to The Chariots' last two albums, The Fiance and Wars & Rumors of Wars.

Alkaline Trio- This Addiction

6/10

Well its Alkaline Trio, so I can think of worse things to listen to. Its not the return to their roots they promised, it's actually not too much different from Agony & Irony. I am beginning to wonder if they're even capable of getting back to their old sound now, that's a bit depressing.

Giving the new Fozzy "Chasing the Grail" a spin.

Pretty damn fricking good so far. If you like their first, you'll like this. Undecided if its better or not yet, partially as it's not finished yet.

Obsessively listening to:

Nirvana's Live At Reading album. It's the only live album I've listened to time and time again. Even Muse's HAARP has only had one listen.

The Japanese edition of Manic Street Preachers' Lifeblood album, with all their B-sides. The backlash of this album is unwarranted, seemingly stemming from how Richey Edwards declared 14 years previous to that that spacey 80's bands were shit.

The normal version of Manic Street Preachers' Know Your Album album. Don't know why I like this album so much, Nicky Wire's lyrics are fucking awful; his out of context name-dropping makes him a pseudo-intellectual version of Fred Durst. Bradfield's tunes save this one.

The first two tracks that have been released from Smashing Pumpkins' Teargarden by Kaleidoscope album. Good stuff.

And finally, some Biosphere. Hooray for Biosphere!

The first two tracks that have been released from Smashing Pumpkins' Teargarden by Kaleidoscope album. Good stuff.

I too have just got into the Smashing Pumpkins in a big way recently. I always didn't mind them, but with Teargarden being free and being given the second CD of Mellon Collie by a friend, I've grown to like them a lot. Granted it also helps that the friend is a chick. :shifty:

At first listen I wasn't keen on Widow Wake my Mind, it sounded bizarre, but it's grown on me again. A Song for a Son was instant love though.