What music are you listening to?

Benji

Yeah, the title track is gorgeous. The album wears thin a little after a while (I was listening at work and stopped a little bit after the Sharon Jones track), but it's still thoroughly pleasant music, and that title track. That is a song I really really want.

Haitian Fight Song by Charles Mingus is the best song ever.

miserere is the second best song ever. I'm not even kidding. I was awestruck the first time I heard it.

The whole story behind it is amazing too, with the Pope not allowing its performance anywhere outside the Vatican but then Mozart writes it all down from memory when he hears it aged 14 or something.

Diana Vickers - Songs from the Tainted Cherry Tree

OK, so MOST of this album is wonderful. When she gets into the racy pop shit during it, I feel like skipping the track straight away. It's like that for the first 3, but it gets better as the album goes on. She's much better when she sings slower songs.

The Fall - Your Future, Our Clutter

I fucking love The Fall. I make a habit of shopping for CDs every Monday and buying any new releases that catch my eye anyway, but this week was the first time that I woke up in the morning genuinely full of anticipation for that shopping trip, and all through Monday morning at work all I could think about was my lunch break and getting to the shops to pick this up. That's how bloody desperate I was to buy a new Fall album. Naturally, it's bloody good. Of course it is. It's The Fall. But...that's all it is, really, it's The Fall. Nothing's jumped out at me as an incredible track in the same way as 50 Year Old Man did on the last album, and the album as a whole hasn't struck me as something truly incredible like Imperial Wax Solvent did two years ago. Don't get me wrong, it's still fantastic. And in places really thoroughly danceable, of all things. And they cover Wanda Jackson! Music doesn't get much cooler than that. Cowboy George, bizarrely sounds in places like The Fall being produced by Joe Meek - it reminds me an awful lot of John Leyton's "Johnny Remember Me". On the subject of songs sounding like "The Fall do...", I can't help but shake the idea that "Mexico Wax Solvent" and the odd section of "Chino" sound like The Fall do Muse....

So...good. But not The Fall good. Which is annoying - I don't want to see The Fall become complacent again. Time to go mental and kick the band out again, Mark E.

Gogol Bordello - Trans-Continental Hustle

Speaking of becoming complacent, but not being bad. It's Gogol Bordello. It sounds like Gogol Bordello. They do what Gogol Bordello do. Other than that, nothing about this album has grabbed me. I'm sure it would be a lot of fun live, and I approve wholeheartedly of their musical ethos, but it's starting to bore me a little. Get on with it.

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings

Pretty forgettable, to be honest with you. Listened to it a couple of hours ago, couldn't tell you the name of a single song, probably couldn't hum a note of it. Might be a grower, if I give it chance.

Stardeath & White Dwarfs - The Birth

This album has been sat in my local HMV for months. Every time I saw it, I thought it looked fantastic, and contemplated buying it, but it was always a bit on the pricey side. But it LOOKS amazing. Then I discovered the Flaming Lips connection, which I'd suspected from the artwork, and still um-ed and ah-ed about it. Eventually, I bit the bullet, and bought it a week or so ago. Today, I finally got round to listening to it, and just wish I had done earlier. It's like a heavier Flaming Lips, which some of the songs sounding like a psychedelic Black Sabbath. It doesn't have the flow of a Lips album, and seems to hop around between genres without much in the way of rhyme or reason, but every track has something to offer, so I can forgive it. Top stuff.

Oh that's a shame you didn't like the new Fall album. I haven't heard it yet but I really enjoyed that Bury song which gave me some high hopes for it. I didn't actually like Imperial Wax Solvent that much though.

Then again, whenever I search "The Fall" in itunes lately I usually just end up listening to "Learn How To Fall" by Paul Simon or something. Maybe I have become musically regressive. :/

Forgetting all this nonsense about studio albums, I have decided that the best album ever is "The Very Best of Prince". Look at this:

1. I Wanna Be Your Lover

2. 1999

3. Little Red Corvette

4. When Doves Cry

5. Lets Go Crazy

6. Purple Rain

7. I Would Die 4 U

8. Rasperry Beret

9. Kiss

10. Sign O The Times

11. U Got The Look

12. Alphabet Street

13. Thieves In The Temple

14. Get Off

15. Cream

16. Diamonds And Pearls

17. Money Don't Matter 2Night

Every song is absolutely amazing!

A lot of SOiL's "re.de.fine" album, in particular the track "Something Real".

After initially dismissing them as "indie" after first hearing their song "Shake It Out" on the promos for TNA's Sacrifice, I'm liking Manchester Orchestra now. The "Mean Everything to Nothing" album is a good one. Reminds me of Brand New crossed with Nine Black Alps.

VAST's debut "Visual Audio Sensory Theatre" (with "Touched") is a great album. If I could describe it I'd say that it's an album made by a man who's in love, possibly with someone he can't have, be it that she's with someone else or has died.

The new (self-titled) Drowning Pool album is pretty decent, nowhere near as good as their debut with their original singer nor as good as McCombs' stuff whilst he was still in SOiL. "Let the Sin Begin" is very good though.

Oh, and various versions of Neil Young's "Rockin' in the Free World", mainly Pearl Jam's versions on MTV Unplugged and at Pink Pop '92 (with "Suggestion/Pulled Up" intro). I just love the way how 60,000 people all lose their shit at the same time on the Pink Pop version.

Edited by TheModernWay

Listening to the Motograter album, Motograter. Featuring Ivan Moody of Five Finger Death Punch fame. This shit is loud. I like it.

Edited by TheModernWay

Y'all Wanna Single by KoRn

I have fallen in love with Le Scrawl. Nothing else has played all day long. Seriously, Le Scrawl is the most bizarre mix of styles and instruments I have ever heard and I fucking love it.