The England thread

No, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy. And Sturridge? 6 caps, 1 goal, of which came against San Marino? It's hardly like he's had a belter for England. But that's not to deny he's in the form of his life right now and could be great for England. Honestly, more players need to follow his example and leave top teams if they're not getting a look in.

There are plenty of players that have played well for England. We've had a pretty solid back four for a few years now. Ashley Cole has been phenomenal for his country. And our centre back pairings have always been very, very good. Lampard's also been very, very good. You don't get to 100 caps for England if you're only an above average player.

I won't argue with the Rooney point. We look far better without him.

We do miss a distinctive playing style, and we've missed a striker for a long, long time. I don't think we'll win the World Cup next year, but I don't think it's quite all doom & gloom. I just get frustrated because players like Ashley Young and James Milner have had plenty of chances in the England set-up and have failed to provide much of anything. I'm not saying replace Gerrard with the likes of these uncapped young players, I'm saying replace Young, Milner and a few others, and you never know, one of 'em might surprise you.

No, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy. And Sturridge? 6 caps, 1 goal, of which came against San Marino? It's hardly like he's had a belter for England. But that's not to deny he's in the form of his life right now and could be great for England. Honestly, more players need to follow his example and leave top teams if they're not getting a look in.

There are plenty of players that have played well for England. We've had a pretty solid back four for a few years now. Ashley Cole has been phenomenal for his country. And our centre back pairings have always been very, very good. Lampard's also been very, very good. You don't get to 100 caps for England if you're only an above average player.

I won't argue with the Rooney point. We look far better without him.

We do miss a distinctive playing style, and we've missed a striker for a long, long time. I don't think we'll win the World Cup next year, but I don't think it's quite all doom & gloom. I just get frustrated because players like Ashley Young and James Milner have had plenty of chances in the England set-up and have failed to provide much of anything. I'm not saying replace Gerrard with the likes of these uncapped young players, I'm saying replace Young, Milner and a few others, and you never know, one of 'em might surprise you.

That's my point, though. Who do you replace them with... Adam Johnson?

To be fair, most of the players I'd be suggesting are in different position. But Nathan Redmond looked like the only good player in the England U21's in the summer and has had a fine start to the season with Norwich, he'd be my suggestion.

Andros Townsend, as well, should be getting a look-in above both of those names. This could be a big year for Townsend if he can try and lock down a place in the Spurs squad. He's very direct, and, at the moment, trying to replicate Bale's style of play. He's very fast and would be a much more positive selection than Milner, and at the moment, provides more flair than Young. He's in the squad, but I doubt we'll see him feature.

Saying that, Delph and any other Villa youngster or League journeyman would make more sense than the flavour of the month youngster from any of the bigger teams who plays like 5 times and suddenly becomes good enough to play for England. Sterling? Cleverly? Wilshere? I'm not saying those guys are awful, but the speed they went from appearing in the first team to making their debut for the national squad was ridiculous.

It's impressive, but at that young age you need to be playing football. Bit part roles at a big club just won't prepare you properly to make an impact in a fifteen minute cameo in an England kit. Then all of a sudden you're Adam Johnson and you might as well have stayed at Middlesbrough (even if agent and bank manager disagree).

I'd have thought laughing gas would be redundant being a Spurs fan

Try supporting Newcastle, the only way I'm going to get through this season is with hard, intravenous drugs.