Elder Scrolls V: Skeerim

apsham

God dammit..why did I marry Mjoll?! Theres no divorce in this game, and Mjoll is apparently unkillable. I like to think my visit homes are psychologically abusive. I sleep at the Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary, one of my other houses, or pretty much anyhwere there is a bed. The few times I do go to Mjoll to collect my share of the gold from the shop, she'll say things like "I've always dreamed of being an adventurer" Whenever I hear her say that, I like to think my characters response, while Mjoll has been sitting at home, is stuff like "Hey Aela! Remember when we were walking to Markarth and we ran across those bandits attacking that merchant? Then, after we killed the bandits and saved the merchant, we then killed the merchant, robbed him and stole his horse! Wasn't that such a great time!" amd procede to laugh in Mjoll face about our adventures...

I got married to Ysolda.

3169607-1323517000.jpg

She's great. Doesn't moan about anything, but ALWAYS calls me "love" which gets a bit annoying. Her stock phrases consist of "Back from another great adventure I bet" and stuff like "Hello my love" and "Here's your share, love".

Apparently if Hulda at the Bannered Mare is killed then Ysolda becomes landlady so that would be a nice thing to get her doing. Wonder if it's too late now I'm married though - would be nice for her to get out of the house from time to time.

The wiki says that as she can't die it's good to beat her up to level up but I can't bring myself to do that, even in a game.

People use torches in Skyrim? Hell, I play a Nord and rarely bother with them, except for the really cool sweeping strike you can do with it.

Neither did my beserkr-style Nord or my arcane trickster. The only time I really needed a light was for seeing if certain ore veins were mineable or not, and even then the action button is right there.

Also, transmute iron is the best spell in the game. Screw making iron daggers, I'm making gold rings.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

Nah it's great. I've upped all my archery and sneak skills and clothe myself in archery and sneak-empowered magical clothes and accessories. I can one-shot kill most guys now if I've not been spotted and can sneak up on people to within a couple of metres before drilling an arrow into them.

It's loads of fun. Initially it's a bit stressful as there's a LOT of backing away, edging around corners and panicking if you don't kill someone, but as you get stronger it gets really enjoyable.

Might have to try it. Right now I've got two players, Lisa the Nord, who was my test run and was basically a brute, and Gaius Julius the Imperial who uses literally every skill available (which is a brilliantly fun way to play). Don't think I'll go back to Lisa, as she was a dull play, but I want more of a challenge than Gaius is providing. Thinking about doing a roleplay play through with a Bosmer, so I'll probably go archery there.

The fact that overspecialization can really hurt you makes Skyrim all that more special. In the Fallout Games (especially 3) you can focus one or two things and become a god fairly easily.

Magic seems to be the one branch of skills you can completely live without, and even then there's absolutely no reason you shouldn't have Clairvoyance and Transmute Iron.

My guy has basically no magical ability. I never use skills, just potions and the odd shout to calm a bear, or send someone flying backwards to give me some room, or to run away quickly.

I've just signed up to the wizard's college place to unlock my inner Harry Potter. Should be interesting. :shifty:

Yeah, sneaky archer is if anything overpowered. Especially when you enchant things at a good enough level to make you basically invisible. I can one shot kill 99% of things. But even when discovered my bow does like 4 times the damage of the best stabby weapon I can find/create.

Potions and poisons are a thing I've not explored much of. Poisons are just easy money to sell on after I've mixed them, and potions aren't really needed unless I'm in a big battle, and even then I can use my left hand for healing magic whilst focusing attacks with a sword on the right.

I think if I do try a Bosmer, I'm going to force myself into playing first person, turn down the brightness to give it more of a challenge, and not allow myself to upgrade anything except their naturally bonused skills, to really challenge myself and make the character unbalanced.

Yeah, apart from being somewhat easy to level magic isn't too important.

Your essentials seem to be one melee type, one ranged type, one armor type, speech, sneak, and pretty much every single crafting skill (except maybe Alchemy). Everything else is just a bonus.

My arcane trickster uses glass armor, a "taser" (electric + paralysis) bow, a "taser" mace and shield for melee, and a "vampire" (health drain + soul trap) mace as an emergency measure.

My beserker had full daedric armor and weapons and one-shotted everything that wasn't an Elder Dragon with a shield-bash and sword (health drain + fire) stab. I also had a vampire bow with him for when he was overencumbered. And if someone was watching me play, I'd have them call my shots for me.

Edited by OctoberRavenO