House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

I feel like her story works better in the books because you kind of expect that sort of thing from a 13/14/15 year old, but you kind of have to age up a lot of the characters in the  TV series because it's easier to digest. It was enough of a shock when people thought Bran and Rickon had been burned alive as like, what? pre-teens?, I imagine it'd have shocked people even more were they their ages in the books. Same goes for a lot of obvious stuff, like sex scenes. 

That said, fuck you all, I'm still Team Dany4Life.

• Like 1

Yeah I don't understand why they didn't use the TOJ dialogue from the books. Ser Arthur Dayne was a complete badass and they didn't use any of his lines apart from "And now it begins"

Left out

"Our knees do not bend easily"

"The Kingsguard does not flee. Then or now."

It was brilliant to see flashbacks in general though, I've always been more intrigued by the Robert's Rebellion era than most of the rest!

• Like 1

Even Danys story in the books has gotten old. Her story in the fifth book was a drag (granted the whole book was) but it got to the point where I began skipping her chapters. Arya is learning something throughout her whole story as previously said. 

Spoiler

I just wish the Mereen story in the show would conclude already. I have a feeling Daario is the leader of the Sons of the Harpy.

The ToJ scene sucked balls. I expected something a bit more than any other random sword fight where a bunch of nameless guys die. From a viewer standpoint, Dayne killed a bunch of nobodies while wheeling around 2 swords because that's what he does, apparently? There wasn't any dialogue that was fun, everything was exposition. Hell, they even needed Bran to tell us that Dayne was stabbed in the back.

Compared to other battles this show has produced, like the Mountain versus the Viper, the scene in the Eyrie, hell, even Ned's battle with Jaime was a heck of a lot better. They just condensed ToJ into 5 years of boring sword fighting, then pulled us away. 

7 minutes ago, Benkid Nada said:

Hell, they even needed Bran to tell us that Dayne was stabbed in the back.

No they didn't. They showed him get stabbed in the back.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Benkid Nada said:

Which they proceeded to hammer home with Bran having to explain to the audience that his dad didn't kill him honorably. It was just done so horribly.

He said that because his father obviously told the story in a different way. His father was his role modle. Someone he probably held up to an impossibly high standard. In the few scenes we saw with them together he tried his best to impress his dad. And to find out that the guy he looked up to all his life and whom he likely build up in his mind as a paragon of honor did something dishonorable can come as a shock.

• Like 2

It was still such a poor line, done so crassly and so on the nose I almost laughed. It's sole purpose was to explain to the audience what was happening, which I guess was actually needed because the entire execution of the scene was horrible. Seeing Bran's reaction without the line would have sufficed, in my mind. Though it doesn't help that Isaac Hempstead Wright is such a poor actor, I guess.

You know when we say to people who do nothing but moan about Raw to stop watching?

Ben, stop watching.

• Like 5

Um, I actually liked a lot about this week's episode. Tyrion and the dragons was fun, Arya's training montage into getting her sight back was great, Jon's arc was fantastic and Sam and Gilly was probably the highlight for me, though that could be because I just missed them. 

I probably should have included all the positive stuff I thought about the show just to reassure you guys that I'm still a part of the hive mind, though, right? :rolleyes:

The Tower of Joy scene was hyped up so much, and as such a monumental moment in the backstory of the show, it was just as bland as you can get.

25 minutes ago, Benkid Nada said:

Um, I actually liked a lot about this week's episode. Tyrion and the dragons was fun, Arya's training montage into getting her sight back was great, Jon's arc was fantastic and Sam and Gilly was probably the highlight for me, though that could be because I just missed them. 

I probably should have included all the positive stuff I thought about the show just to reassure you guys that I'm still a part of the hive mind, though, right? :rolleyes:

The Tower of Joy scene was hyped up so much, and as such a monumental moment in the backstory of the show, it was just as bland as you can get.

Yes, because then you don't give the impression that you're hate watching something so you can bitch about it on the internet.

• Like 8

On 5/2/2016 at 06:58, Benkid Nada said:

Reveal hidden contents

If next week is the Tower of Joy episode, that's honestly going to be the breaking point for me. If it's not something substantially satisfactory, I don't think I'm gonna' keep my hopes high for this show anymore.

You can watch what you want, but you said it yourself. It's like that guy who every Raw thread posts nothing but "Roman Reigns sucks and wins all the time and it's the worst" and then does the same thing the next week. It's fine to not like Roman Reigns or think the TOJ scene sucked and say so. But why keep going on about it?

2 hours ago, Benkid Nada said:

It was still such a poor line, done so crassly and so on the nose I almost laughed. It's sole purpose was to explain to the audience what was happening, which I guess was actually needed because the entire execution of the scene was horrible. Seeing Bran's reaction without the line would have sufficed, in my mind. Though it doesn't help that Isaac Hempstead Wright is such a poor actor, I guess.

No, it wasn't. It's perfectly natural for someone to react that way. Your inner monologue is not always confined to your head. I assure you that there's plenty of times that you speak out loud what you're thinking in a private moment. For example: road rage. Bran, for years, believed that his father won a fight against an excellent swordsman with honor. His perception of his father was shattered immediately once he realized that such a pivotal moment in his father's life, a moment that resonated highly with Bran, was actually not at all what he thought. He was so shaken by that fact, much like a driver that just got cut off is shaken by the fact that someone almost rammed into him, that his thoughts registered out loud.

It's fine not to have enjoyed the scene, but you're grasping at straws with this thing in particular.

• Like 4

That was one thing of a bunch of other things I said about the scene, and it's the one thing you guys are discussing with me about. I guess I could go on and talk about the other stuff, but no one highlighted that. I have a different opinion than everyone else, but apparently you guys can just go "Nah, you're wrong" and how I'm a negative Nancy and grasping at straws.

And Pizza, I'm just annoyed because I honestly thought it was going to be the Tower of Joy episode, not Episode 1: Once Again, No More Hope, and there'd be a continuation in a different episode. It's really just frustrating to me, because now I don't know if I should watch the next episode to see what happens (I don't even know if the continuation is happening next episode, though, can someone tell me) because well, there's so much more that could happen in that episode. I might read about it instead, or just watch that part, or something. I do know that if I choose to watch it I'm not welcomed to show my thoughts here, though.

13 minutes ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

I didn't understand why that scene was supposed to be so important while I was watching it. I mean maybe I just don't follow along well but I didn't get how it was some epic thing to be excited for. I only knew 1 character in the whole thing.

It might be the origin of one important character.

4 minutes ago, Benkid Nada said:

That was one thing of a bunch of other things I said about the scene, and it's the one thing you guys are discussing with me about. I guess I could go on and talk about the other stuff, but no one highlighted that. I have a different opinion than everyone else, but apparently you guys can just go "Nah, you're wrong" and how I'm a negative Nancy and grasping at straws.

The reason people focused on that one aspect is because it was the most nitpicky thing you said, and had obvious flaws that people have countered with.

This isn't about you having a different opinion to everybody else, and there is no 'hivemind' as you put it in a previous post. People are just pointing out your tendency to be overly negative about the show time after time.

• Like 4