General Movie Thread

Jimmy

I'm still not a fan. I like that they showed some humor but my previous gripes still stand and I thing the Zords and suits look horrendously bad.

Trailer specific thing but that damn song had me rolling my eyes.

I'm just gonna go watch some old Ranger series and await Ninja Steel's premiere which I think is this weekend.

Edited by Kirkland

Objectively though, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers fucking sucked. It was a Japanese show chopped up and spliced with American footage to form a ridiculous story.

This manages to stay true the original mythos while upping the scale and coherency. If it manages to stay somewhat self aware with a serious tone then this will be money. I love the look of it and while I left Power Rangers behind a long time ago, my nostalgia sense was triggered which is realistically what they're aiming for!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TCO said:

Objectively though, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers fucking sucked. It was a Japanese show chopped up and spliced with American footage to form a ridiculous story.

This manages to stay true the original mythos while upping the scale and coherency. If it manages to stay somewhat self aware with a serious tone then this will be money. I love the look of it and while I left Power Rangers behind a long time ago, my nostalgia sense was triggered which is realistically what they're aiming for!

Even as a kid I hated it.

I hope it does well. It doesn't look like it'll change anything about the genre, but hopefully it can be improved upon in future films? What I'm worried about are the actors who play the Power Rangers, because they're not good. Like, at all. I feel like the attention of the film is going to be focused upon them and if there'll be a mindfuck of CGI action. But I want it to do well, and I like the costumes and the robots because, well, it's cool to see new iterations of costumes.

19 hours ago, MDK said:

Even as a kid I hated it.

Yeah I was a very young kid when it was popular and even though I watched it, I'm pretty sure I realised how shit and embarrassing it was after a short while.

Edited by TCO

7 minutes ago, TCO said:

Yeah I was a very young kid when it was popular and even though I watched it, I'm pretty sure I realised how shit and embarrassing it was after a short while.

I think part of it is because my neighbours older brother absolutely loved kung fu films so we'd watch them sometimes and Power Rangers always wants pants compared to them. 

On 1/21/2017 at 16:55, MDK said:

Just seen that Charlie Hunnam is playing King Arthur in a new film called Sons of Monarchy

:shifty: 

XS5LK.gif

So apparently the huge "twist" in Split, the new M Knight Shamalalaland movie is

In a diner, patrons listen to the media coverage of Kevin's crimes, for which he's been nicknamed "The Horde". One of the patrons notes the resemblance between Kevin and a wheelchair-bound serial killer arrested 15 years prior, asking for the man's name. The man sitting next to her is revealed to be an older David Dunn (Bruce Willis), who reminds the patron that it was "Mr. Glass".

ITS AN UNBREAKABLE SEQUEL!  Having that spoiled for me actually makes me WANT to see it more then I had before!

• Like 1

First twist in an M. Night Shamalamadingdong movie since The Sixth Sense I've heard that I actually didn't hate (The Visit), dislike (The Village) or flat out figure out before the reveal (the Visit). 

(Yes, I figured out the twist with The Visit ahead of time, but I'd have hated it even if I hadn't. It was stupid as hell....and I've even watched the movie!)

Oscar nominations are out:

Best Picture

La La Land
Arrival
Hidden Figures
Fences
Moonlight
Lion
Manchester By The Sea
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell Or High Water

Best Actress

Emma Stone, La La Land
Isabelle Huppert, Elle
Ruth Negga, Loving
Natalie Portman, Jackie
Meryl Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins

Best Actor

Ryan Gosling, La La Land
Casey Affleck, Manchester By The Sea
Andrew Garfield, Hacksaw Ridge
Viggo Mortensen, Captain Fantastic
Denzel Washington, Fences

Best Supporting Actress

Viola Davis, Fences
Naomie Harris, Moonlight
Nicole Kidman, Lion
Octavia Spencer, Hidden Figures
Michelle Williams, Manchester By The Sea

Best Supporting Actor

Mahershala Ali, Moonlight
Jeff Bridges, Hell Or High Water
Lucas Hedges, Manchester By The Sea
Dev Patel, Lion
Michael Shannon, Nocturnal Animals

Best Director

Denis Villeneuve, Arrival
Mel Gibson, Hacksaw Ridge
Damien Chazelle, La La Land
Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester By The Sea
Barry Jenkins, Moonlight

Best Adapted Screenplay

Eric Heisserer, Arrival
August Wilson, Fences
Allison Schreoder and Theodore Melfi, Hidden Figures
Luke Davies, Lion
Barry Jenkins and Tyrell Alvin McCreaney, Moonlight

Best Original Screenplay

Taylor Sheridan, Hell Or High Water
Damien Chazelle, La La Land
Yorgos Lanthimos and Efthimis Filippou, The Lobster
Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester By The Sea
Mike Mills, 20th Century Women

Best Foreign Language Film

Land Of Mine (Denmark)
A Man Called Ove (Sweden)
The Salesman (Iran)
Tanna (Australia)
Toni Erdmann (Germany)

Best Production Design

Arrival
Fantastic Beasts
Hail, Caesar!
La La Land
Passengers

Best Visual Effects

Deep Water Horizon
Doctor Strange
Jungle Book
Kubo And The Two Strings
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Best Editing

Arrival
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell Or High Water
La La Land
Moonlight

Best Cinematography

Bradford Young, Arrival
Linus Sandgren, La La Land
Greig Frasier, Lion
James Laxton, Moonlight
Rodrigo Prieto, Silence

Best Animated Feature

Kubo And The Two Strings
Moana
My Life As A Zucchini
The Red Turtle
Zootopia

Best Documentary Feature

Fire At Sea
I Am Not Your Negro
Life, Animated
O.J.: Made In America
13TH

Best Costume Design

Allied
Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them
Florence Foster Jenkins
Jackie
La La Land

Best Makeup And Hairstyling

A Man Called Ove
Star Trek Beyond
Suicide Squad

Best Original Score

Mica Levi, Jackie
Justin Hurwitz, La La Land
Dustin O’Halloran and Hauschka, Lion
Nicholas Britell, Moonlight
Thomas Newman, Passengers

Best Original Song

“Audition (The Fools Who Dream),” La La Land
“Can’t Stop The Feeling,” Trolls
“City Of Stars,” La La Land
“The Empty Chair,” Jim: The James Foley Story
“How Far I’ll Go,” Moana

Best Sound Editing

Arrival
Deep Water Horizon
Hacksaw Ridge
Sully
La La Land

Best Sound Mixing

Arrival
Hacksaw Ridge
La La Land
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi

Best Animated Short Film

Blind Vaysha
Borrowed Time
Pear Cider And Cigarettes
Pearl
Piper

Best Documentary Short Subject

Extremis
4.1 Miles
Joe’s Violin
Watani: My Homeland
The White Helmets

Best Live Action Short Film

Ennemis Intérieurs
La Femme et le TGV
Silent Nights
Sing
Timecode

Kind of sad there was no acting nomination for 20th Century Women, I really hope I don't forget to watch that. I can at least tick The Girl on the Train off my list, though! Right now, though, I just want Moana to win best Animated Feature and the Salesman to win best Foreign Language Film.

Only real "man, really?" I have is Amy Adams not getting nominated for Arrival. I feel like a lot of of that movie works in part because she's so good as the lead. You could easily jettison Meryl Streep (even though there is a moment in Florence Foster Jenkins where I got choked up entirely because of Streep delivering a line real well). Still, the actress who would have actually been on the bubble is Ruth Negga, and I'm pretty delighted that she got in. Best Actress was the toughest field this year by far, I think you could probably put together a secondary five nominees there that would have been as good as some years' first five.

I really hope the bloom comes off the La La Land rose, though. It's a good film but Moonlight is a lot better. So is Hell or High Water, but the victory there was just that getting nominated. I'd also say that Jackie has a better score than La La Land does, though obviously that's not gonna actually happen. Best Original Song field is alright but I would have loved to see something from Sing Street get in.

• Like 1