General Movie Thread

Jimmy

I wonder if at this point in the Terminator universe, does John Connor tell Kyle Reese that he needs him to fuck his mom?

Also, occasionally in that Emilia Clarke looks like she's 14. But yeah, it certainly looks more Terminator-y than the last two.

It's essentially Back to the Future with Terminators.

"I'll be back... TO THE FUTURE."

"You need to go 88 mph if you want to live."

That doesn't make any sense

I really hope it features Helena Bonham Carter saying "Bibbidy Bobbidy Boo"

It might just be because I have much less interest in movies compared to a year ago but it seems like this year has been terrible for movies. I'm trying to find stuff that I can't miss but am getting nowhere.

This is a list of everything I've watched this year: http://letterboxd.com/walker/list/2014-films/

Is there anything really good that I've missed? Or even anything controversial that I should give a try?

Mr. Turner

Gone Girl

The Guest

Pride

How To Train Your Dragon 2

Obvious Child

Boyhood

Nymphomaniac

Two Days, One Night (probably my favourite so far this year)

'71

And there's a bunch of European films I've missed as well. It hasn't been an amazing year yet, but there's loads of good stuff to come out.

Mt suggestions in order of preference (and eliminating anything Jimmy recommended):

Interstellar

Jersey Boys

Under the Skin

Life Itself

A Most Wanted Man

The Rover

Muppets Most Wanted

Batman: Assault on Arkham

Justice League : War

Fury

The Homesman

22 Jump Street

Cheap Thrills

Chef

Lucy

Plus there's a ton of stuff I haven't seen but I'm quite looking forward to, like Nightcrawler, Birdman, John Wick, Big Eyes, A Map to the Stars, Still Alice, Inherent Vice, Big Hero 6, Camp X-Ray, Rudderless, Dear White People, Kill the Messenger, Foxcatcher, The Drop, The Normal Heart, In Order of Disappearance.

It hasn't been an amazing year, but it's still solid, in my opinion. If I were to rate the year overall I'd give it a B, maybe a B+? At least for now, still a lot of stuff to watch.

Boyhood and Interstellar are must watch for this year, though. Boyhood is undeniably the best film of the year, just so motherfucking stupendous. I didn't even know Linklater could top Before Midnight so soon, then he went and did exactly that.