General Movie Thread

Jimmy

5 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

nnngh, I'm going to see it today and have basically heard the same "it's not very good" reaction from all comers. Good thing I don't have to pay.

It's not like it is a bad movie. Matthew Vaughn is still a good director and the movie is very well executed. All the actors seem like they had fun filming this movie. No one phones it in. But it lacks an emotional core. Eggsy's coming-of-age boy-to-men journey was concluded when the first movie ended. And since the writers seem to have no idea about where else to go with this movie they decided to simply do a rehash of the first one but without a real reason for us to care about what is happening this time. So if you enjoyed the first one you'll probably like this one as well. Just don't expect to be blown away by it.

10 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

been going steady with Part-Time Theater Job I Probably Should've Moved On From But Shit, Free Movies for three years now.

aka living the dream!

I am seeing Kingsman tomorrow. I love the first so I'm excited. Fuck reviews (H)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

nnngh, I'm going to see it today and have basically heard the same "it's not very good" reaction from all comers. Good thing I don't have to pay.

I saw it! It's pretty bad!

Elton John was good, though?

It most definitely isn't as good as the first but I enjoyed it. Also a little too long and some largely unnecessary scenes. One of my takeaways from it is that I would really enjoy if Matthew Vaughn signed on to do a Fast & Furious movie. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last night I gave Bob Clark's Christmas classic, Black Christmas a go, and although I tried to watch it years ago when I was super into slasher/horror movies from 70's/80's my only memories of it was that I was super bored during the entire movie ... However this time around, I can really appreciate it for the genre masterpiece that it is, today's group of horror writers and directors really need to watch this and take some notes on how to craft a atmospheric movie. 

Kind of fun thing someone posted on Reddit. Spoilered for size. It's a road map someone made, but all the cities are movies. 

Spoiler

jmqqav1dmuuz.jpg

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/79js4l/i_listed_more_than_1800_mustsee_movies_and/

Watching "The Babysitter" on Netflix. This is like the first time I've heard Bella Thorne talk since she was a teenager. Man her voice changed in a way I didn't expect.

Been watching all the Halloween Movies and something is bothering me. They are way old but I'll spoiler it anyway

Spoiler

They have this really annoying habit of killing the protagonist from the last movie right at the start of the next one. It's not clever and it doesn't create higher stakes it's just lazy. They kill off Laurie between 2 and 4 I know they retconned that but it still counts, They kill Rachael at the beginning of 5 and now they just killed Jamie at the beginning of 6. Get a new move Halloween!

The Babysitter was really fun. Robbie Amell's character was the fucking best. Plot stuff below.

Spoiler

She was the reason behind this but I can't bring myself to hate Bee. She seemed like she genuinely cared about Cole on some level. She wasn't a evil for evils sake killer. I wonder what she wanted from the book? The ritual was done, you'd think he'd just let her have her way in the end after it's just them and she had a  story cooked up or he'd  use it to fix everything. I thought the same when Bella's character kicked back up. Tell her she can have her boob back if she uses the book to undo the night.

And with Susie Q re-watched that's two movies in a night, the most I've done in years.