Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

Marvel doesn't operate the MCU based on how well the books do or don't do. If they believe in the idea, they'll do it because the markets for each are completely different.

Related: the Russo brothers just signed a first-look deal with Sony so it certainly appears they'll be involved with Spider-Man in some capacity beyond Cap 3.

Edited by livid
  • Like 1

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the idea that what comic book "universe" is doing well, or what happened in what comic book timeline, would have any bearing on the movies should have been dropped years ago. The MCU has nothing to do with any particular comic book timeline. The movies do not have to pander to the tiny, tiny percentage of the audience who feel that any particular comic book timeline is significant. It's an adaptation.

Frankly, after the way the Iron Man movies dealt with The Mandarin, it doesn't feel like you should need to tell people that the comic book timeline doesn't matter, but I suppose geeks are persistent.

To put it in comic book terms - because something happens in the Ultimate Universe doesn't mean the same thing is true in the main "Earth-616" continuity. Apply the same logic to the movies. Just because something happens, or happened a certain way, in a particular series of comic books doesn't mean it has to happen the exact same way, and the characters have to be the exact same, in the movies - if only because it's safe to assume that whatever you think is the "correct" version of a story has been re-booted, re-told and ret-conned a hundred times by now in the comics anyway!

• Like 2

Yeah, the idea that what comic book "universe" is doing well, or what happened in what comic book timeline, would have any bearing on the movies should have been dropped years ago. The MCU has nothing to do with any particular comic book timeline. The movies do not have to pander to the tiny, tiny percentage of the audience who feel that any particular comic book timeline is significant. It's an adaptation.

Frankly, after the way the Iron Man movies dealt with The Mandarin, it doesn't feel like you should need to tell people that the comic book timeline doesn't matter, but I suppose geeks are persistent.

To put it in comic book terms - because something happens in the Ultimate Universe doesn't mean the same thing is true in the main "Earth-616" continuity. Apply the same logic to the movies. Just because something happens, or happened a certain way, in a particular series of comic books doesn't mean it has to happen the exact same way, and the characters have to be the exact same, in the movies - if only because it's safe to assume that whatever you think is the "correct" version of a story has been re-booted, re-told and ret-conned a hundred times by now in the comics anyway!

Oh come on! Everything has to be the same as the source material always! Are you kidding me?! Unless they do what the comics did step by step then the movies will never work. They'll never make money and the studios would give up on them. Don't be insane. There should never be any sort of creative difference from source to source ever, you pleb.

• Like 3

Absolutely. I heard in the new Fantastic Four movie Reed Richards doesn't have the grey bits above his ears.

If so I'm going to put my foot through the cinema screen and send Miles Teller the bill.

Edited by Captain New JaPenn
  • Like 1

The silliest thing about that marathon is that you'll be most knackered for the film you actually want to see. Imagine if you made it through to Age of Ultron and then fell asleep...

• Like 1