Bands That Don't Live Up To The Hype

EndOfAnEra

Creed, Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Green Day = Overrated.

If I never ever have to hear "Arms Wide Open", "I'm Still Alive" or "Jeremy" again as long as I live, I'll be a happy man.

Alter Bridge and Foo Fighters >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Creed and Nirvana

Agreed with the abuse of Jeremy and Alive on the radio, but Pearl Jam's ''hype'' is nothing compared to the (already heavily spoken about) messianic dick-sucking Nirvana Kurt Cobain receives.

My list:

Imagine Dragons, van Halen, Katy Perry, Green Day, Every 90's (post-pop-rock-funk-neo-arse)Punk band, Killers, Rise Against, Paramore, THE VERVE, Oasis, Blur, RATM, Massive Attack.

I can probably go on, but this is enough... for now.

.....people like you are the reason you could make the argument for Nirvana being underrated as much as overrated. It isn't a black or white thing - the band were good at what they did, some people believe they are much better than they were, but to overcompensate, some people are much more negative about them then they ever really deserve.

Oh, and for GhostMachine, lol Alter Bridge being better than Nirvana. Creed, I'll probably give you, but then again, no-one really likes Creed.

• Like 2

I wasn't trying to say that Alter Bridge is better than Nirvana. What I meant is that Alter Bridge is better than Creed, and Foo Fighters are better than Nirvana.

As for the Journey haters......bullshit. True, the band should have never fired Steve Perry (I refuse to listen to them without him), but they were NOT overrated. The song "Don't Stop Believin'", though, I admit I'm a bit sick of. But its not even really one of their best songs. I rank "Separate Ways", "Chain Reaction", "Open Arms", "Send Her My Love", "Wheel In The Sky", "I'll Be Alright Without You", and "The Girl Can't Help it" as much better songs. Even Perry's solo hit "OH, Sherrie" is better.

Foreigner....man....I had two different people request songs by them last time I DJ'd. And I can't remember the last time I've ever had anyone request them. (For the record, the songs were "Can't Slow Down" and "Urgent")

The only thing overrated about Van Halen is Eddie's ranking as a guitar god. He brought fingertapping from classical into rock. Big deal.

I don't know any Journey songs besides Don't Stop Believing and Any Way You Want It. Both songs are a lot of fun (though hopefully I don't hear Believing again for like 5 years), but I have no desire to ever hear a third Journey song.

I never got what made Tupac so special. Or how Jay-Z became such a big deal. U2's another one where I don't get how they went from "eh, they're OK, I'm not changing the station I guess" to one of the biggest bands in the world. I don't understand why people are mentioning bands like Creed. Its pretty universally accepted they suck.

Completely agree about Tupac and Jay-Z, Pizza. What gets me, though, is everyone who thinks/thought Notorious B.I.G. was so great. Part of it is posthumous hype by Sean `whatever the hell he's called this year' Combs, but Biggie wasn't even the greatest rapper, let alone top 5, when he was alive. And I thought (and still think) Tupac was better, but both = vastly overrated. U2, I can take or leave. Don't ever get requests for them when I DJ, and rarely play them otherwise. U2 were a lot better in their early days than they are now. I prefer Two Hearts Beat As One and Gloria over anything they've done in the past 20 years.

I personally loved the finger tapping in Mozart's early work

/facepalm

To be fair, he's not entirely wrong. There's a bit of music that employs a similar technique on the violin.

Paganini did it on the violin. And Eddie Van Halen wasn't really the first one to being the technique into rock guitars. Someone else did that in the late 60's. He's just the one most people think of.

Edited by GhostMachine

Ooh, speaking of Jay Z, who I like... Beyonce is definitely someone who doesn't live up to the hype.

I like her, she's a fantastic performer, good role model, Destiny's Child was fun, but when the hell did she suddenly become the greatest artist to ever grace the planet? There's nothing about her music that strikes me as particularly revolutionary other than the fact that her current pop contemporaries are absolutely terrible by comparison.

• Like 1

Pretty sure I mentioned Tupac a couple of pages back, but man, of the very few songs I've heard, I don't find them at all interesting. And Puff Daddy is awful. As an artist, I generally find Dr. Dre to be not very good, and Ice Cube is a much better rapper.

• 2 years later...

Yeah I never really saw the hype behind Jay-Z, Dr. Dre, Biggie, or Tupac. I often see those guys albums mentioned as being the unquestioned best ever along with Nas (Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt, All Eyes on Me, etc). I think Nas is great, Illmatic is legitimately great.

The others though? I don't know, hip hop and rap isn't exactly my wheelhouse but I know what I like. I don't know what made those guys so revered. 

Ghost.

Decent band, decent little gimmick. I don't really see much more in them than that, despite the fact that they've had albums heralded as "the best metal album of 2015" and been nominated for tons of awards.

• Like 1

I already said what I think about Biggie and Tupac, but.....

Dr. Dre is good, but still overrated. I agree that Ice Cube is better. Jay-Z I can take or leave. He's done a few decent songs, but I wouldn't say he's the greatest or even in the discussion. Neither is Nas. Sean Combs, however? Lmao. If he wasn't a producer, he'd never be allowed to rap. I haven't heard any song he's done that was made better by his presence on it, and I still can't believe him and Jimmy Page ripped off Kashmere for that song from the soundtrack of the Tri-Star Godzilla movie (which was really a Beast from 20,000 Fathoms remake). Its All About The Benjamins is the only song he's on that I can stand, and I especially hate that one he did with Mase, because Mase sucked about as much as Combs, if not more, talent-wise. Also not happy he did that song about Biggie that rips off The Police's classic Every Breath You Take.

I'll also add Mariah Carey. Decent vocal range, but she squeals/warbles way too much. 

Already mentioned in this thread, Foreigner, Journey and Alice In Chains are all bands that should have disbanded. The only original member of Foreigner actually in the band now is the guitarist, Journey became a cover band when they fired Steve Perry, and Alice In Chains just isn't the same without Layne Staley. I may or may not add Stone Temple Pilots to that list.

*edited to add* I don't know enough about the band Ghost to comment. I assume this is the band also known as Ghost BC, whose vocalist dresses like a skeletal pope?

Edited by GhostMachine

Other than a handful of songs, I prefer to pretend that Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was their last album. As far as influential British bands go, I prefer The Who and the Rolling Stones.

Edited by GhostMachine

My last name is Floyd, so when I was in high school, there was one guy named Jerry who always called me "Pink" because of that. (Sadly, I found out he died over a decade ago) Pink Floyd is one band I've always been on the bubble about. I've known people who thought they were great, others who hated them, and others who thought they were brilliant during the Syd Barrett years and turned into crap afterward. I personally think they were better post-Barrett, as I've never heard any songs with him in the band that I liked. I've never heard The Wall or Dark Side of the Moon all the way through, nor do I own any of their albums.

The local classic rock station plays Another Brick In The Wall pt 2 and Money to death, with Hey You getting played occasionally. You'd think those were the only songs the band ever did. I wish they\d play Learning To Fly more often. I tend to prefer their songs with David Gilmour on vocals. (Learning To Fly is my favorite Pink Floyd song, but not my favorite song with that title. I prefer the Tom Petty song with that name over PF's.)

I'm probably going to get raked over the coals for this, but I'll add the band Slipknot, if they've not already been mentioned. Mushroomhead has been accused of ripping off their gimmick, but Mushroomhead either did it first or at the same time (I hate Mushroomhead's current look), and both bands have quashed any attempts made by people to start a feud over it. Slipknot just got more famous first. And Corey Taylor is a better vocalist than he shows more often than not with Slipknot. Back when i DJ'd online, the ONLY Slipknot song anyone ever requested (with one notable exception....as in, it only happened once) was Wait and Bleed. (The one-off request was Vermillion) And I did play Psychosocial on my own a few times. Personally, I prefer Stone Sour over Slipknot. Through Glass alone is better than anything he's done with Slipknot, as far as I'm concerned.

On 4/8/2017 at 19:52, MDK said:

The Beatles by a distance. Early stuff was great and then the hippy flower power LSD bollocks is just... bollocks. 

Funnily enough, I'm the other way around. Except for A Hard Day's Night, my interest in The Beatles doesn't begin until Revolver.

White Album can fuck off though.