Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show

MalaCloudy Black

Just give us Lewis Black as the host now.

I can totally get behind 4 evenings of enraged shouting at whatever is wrong in politics.

He'd be dead in six weeks.

I feel like they've either got to go outside the show for an established comedian with a clear point of view, a la Amy Poehler, or give it to a relative unknown from within who has the smarts and the chops.

• Like 1

Amy Poehler is very unlikely to go from critically acclaimed network comedy to cable late night TV show. She's going to have better offers.

Yeah, the "a la" before Poehler's name seemed like an important clarification. The Daily Show seems like way too much of a time commitment for her to jump into after Parks and Rec has just concluded.

All the in-house names who seemed like real possibilities have either announced their departure or turned it down, anyway, and I kind of expect Aasif Mandvi to leave when Jon leaves, much like Bee and Jones are. I just hope Jessica Williams and Jordan Klepper will stick around.

Given just fragmented the entertainment landscape is these days, I don't see that big of a drop off from a network sitcom to basic cable. Most of the critically acclaimed shows are on cable. I would say that Jon Stewart is just about as culturally significant as anybody on network TV right now.

I would love Poehler but that seems unlikely. I just don't think there's anybody out there that Comedy Central can get that won't be a major letdown to the brand. They should honestly just retire the format and go in a different direction, maybe revive the old Politically Incorrect format or something along the lines of what the TV version of Loveline was.

• 4 weeks later...

So apparently Trevor Noah has been named the new host of the Daily Show.. very interesting choice. I'm looking forward to seeing him takeover.

From EOnline.com

Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show. The 31-year-old made his debut as a contributor in December. Fast forward three months and he's replacing Jon Stewart as the host of the popular Comedy Central program.

"It's an honor to follow Jon Stewart. He and the team at The Daily Show have created an incredible show whose impact is felt all over the world," Noah said in a statement. "In my brief time with the show they've made me feel so welcome. I'm excited to get started and work with such a fantastic group of people."

"You don't believe it for the first few hours," Noah told The New York Times regarding learning about his new gig. "You need a stiff drink, and then unfortunately you're in a place where you can't really get alcohol."

CLICK: Daily Show veterans: Where are they now?

"I'm thrilled for the show and for Trevor," Stewart said in a statement. "He's a tremendous comic and talent that we've loved working with...In fact, I may rejoin as a correspondent just to be a part of it!!!"

Stewart announced he was leaving his post on the long-running show in February. He's been the host of the show since 1999. Veteran correspondent Jason Jonesrecently left the show with his wife, Samantha Bee, also exiting this year as part of a new TBS deal.

"What I want to see there is the next iteration of this idea," Stewart said about hisDaily Show retirement, per The Hollywood Reporter. "I feel like the tributaries of my brain combined with the rigidity of the format. I feel like I used every permutation of that I could possibly use."

Noah, a South African native, has hosted numerous TV shows in his home country, including two seasons of his own late-night talk show, Tonight With Trevor Noah. According to his Comedy Central bio, he made his US TV debut in 2012 on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno. The comedian has also had his own Showtime special,Trevor Noah: African American, and performed for the royal family in 2013.

MORE: Find out where Samantha Bee is going!

Popular TV stars Amy Poehler and Tina Fey were fan-favorites to take over the program. Late-night talk shows have been criticized for being male dominated, but Comedy Central's president, Michele Ganeless, told The New York Times that the network "talked to women. We talked to men. We found in Trevor the best person for the job."

"Trevor Noah is an enormous talent. He has an insightful and unique point of view, and most importantly, is wickedly funny," Ganeless said in a statement. "For the next host of The Daily Show, we set out to find a fresh voice who can speak to our audience with a keen take on the events of the day, and we found that in Trevor. He has a huge international following and is poised to explode here in America, and we are thrilled to have him join Comedy Central."

Noah, who is still a new face to US viewers, took to Twitter after the news broke.

"No-one can replace Jon Stewart," he tweeted. "But together with the amazing team at The Daily Show, we will continue to make this the best damn news show!"

No timeline for Stewart's exit has been announced.

The Daily Show airs weeknights at 11 p.m. on Comedy Central.

Edited by punky

Haha, I was working on catching up since I'm behind, and so I saw his most recent appearance the other day and went "wait, is it going to be him?" It dawned on me that time that he was basically playing the Jon Stewart role while Stewart himself was essentially doing the "unreasonable correspondent" stuff.

It'll be interesting, and I think he's capable of doing it.

Bill Simmons @BillSimmons · 2h 2 hours ago

Heard Comedy Central pursued 3 big-ass names for Daily Show: Poehler, Louis CK, Schumer. Went 0 for 3. Young/cheap/upside was smart audible.

Not surprised they tried to get a big hire to replace a big name but ultimately going the relatively unknown route could end up the best way long-term.

Edited by Mofoticon

Some really terrible tweets in there, but to immediately pile it on him as a racist jew-hater is about as sad as it comes.

The problem of social media is apparent, all those stupid things you said when you were drunk, young, or both come to the forefront when you don't need them to.

I agree those tweets were about as stupid as they are, but to immediately say he's an anti-semite who is sexist and give him the ''worse than hitler'' treatment is stupid. He would have never been hired by CC, or even be accepted by noted Jewish Man and person he will be replacing, Jon Stewart.

And you can make anyone look bad if we trawl through his twitter feed and looking for stupid shit that's taken out of context.

Edited by Jasonmufc

None of those jokes were out of context. They're shitty hack jokes. Cheap punching down laughs. I don't necessarily believe he means those things or that he's a shitty person, but I expected better.

Also, still OK with him getting the job. Everyone says stupid things. But not as happy as 24 hours ago.

• Like 2

I think what needs to be done is to put things into perspective. Noah is still relatively young in show business. People are allowed to make mistakes, to say stupid things, to apologize and try to get better. If he refuses to apologize or does the apologize that I hurt your feelings, let's start the pile on. I'm sure Jon Stewart made some terrible jokes at some point. So has every other comedian. Doesn't justify him tweeting those hack jokes, but it doesn't make him the worst human ever or mean he shouldn't be the new host.

• Like 3