UEFA Champions League 2018/19

Lineker

Did the player impede the goalie then? Can't tell from a still shot. Defo in an offside position though, with the keeper the other side of him he needs two defenders between him and the goal. 

4 minutes ago, MDK said:

umxhn6je0fg21.jpg

He didn't stand there the whole time, but literally moved into that position as the header came in. Would Courtois have saved it? Doubtful, but he's still in an offside position and to be honest, even when a player is stood in front of a keeper's line of sight it's given as offside usually.

BT questioned whether Tadic had committed a foul but the official ruling was offside. It was all a bit quick but a foul would have been harsh.

He definitely didn't impede Courtois. I think that's a shocking goal to overrule, and yet another time this "clear and obvious error" concept seems to have been ignored completely. I'm actually stunned they didn't rule out their given goal due to a soft foul in the build-up, almost felt that even the VAR needed to even it up...

10 minutes ago, Colly said:

He definitely didn't impede Courtois. I think that's a shocking goal to overrule, and yet another time this "clear and obvious error" concept seems to have been ignored completely. I'm actually stunned they didn't rule out their given goal due to a soft foul in the build-up, almost felt that even the VAR needed to even it up...

Clear and obvious errors are to overturn a bad decision the referee has made.

Offside is as simple as - is he offside, yes or no? Whether he's fouling the keeper or not, if he's stood in front of him and the ball goes in it's going to be offside.

Just because it's a tight offside call, it's still offside. The fact he wasn't "clearly" or "obviously" offside doesn't come in to it, as that's for fouls/mistaken identity.

Offside isn't as simple as that though as there's interpretation required as to whether he's interfering with play. He might be clearly offside (its tight but he is), but the second question has to interpreted. He's kind of stood next to the keeper who isn't getting anywhere near that ball. It just feels like it goes hugely against the spirit of the rule and ruled out what to me was a legitimate goal. 

Again, I'm not anti VAR, but this idea of "Is there any reason I can rule out this goal?" logic when there's barely anyone watching live who would see that as a disallowed goal is horrid. Yes if the refs missed something obvious that the opposition are massively aggrieved about, but that?

1 hour ago, MDK said:

Cheers! 

Yeah, he clearly blocks the keeper off (looks pretty deliberate too). It doesn't even matter if the keeper can definitely get there or not, if unblocked he may have been able to adjust and make a save from the actual header. Either way, the player is offside and interfering in play. Clearly a correct decision. 

I mean, he puts his left arm across the keeper's path to the ball and leans backwards into him as he turns.