E3 2019

GoGo Yubari

21 minutes ago, Kaney said:

Is it America only? I bought a year membership then upgraded with the ultimate game pass for £1 thing but it says it's only for a month :(

It worked for me. I bought a year of gold then the ultimate for $1, and now I have it until 2020.

3 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Nice to actually have an exciting surprise at E3! That was a solid conference, I think I liked it about as much as Microsoft. Overall I think I'd say for me it was something like: Microsoft > Nintendo >>>>>> Square >>> Bethesda > Ubisoft.

I would agree with that, although Nintendo isn't quite that far ahead of Square in my mind. 

A great E3 this year... sadly with the leaks, not too many surprises. Although the Breath of the Wild one was huge.

For me, the highlights were FF7, Cyberpunk, Outer World's (wish we would have seen more), Zelda BotW 2, Deathloop, Animal Crossing (haven't played before!), and just all the games coming to Game Pass (and getting it for $1).

Would have liked to have seen more for Fire Emblem and Pokemon. Although, let's be honest, the formula for those games haven't really changed. 

I think the reason why Square is so far behind for me is that while FF7 is probably the game I'm most excited for overall and maybe the best start-to-finish segment of any presser, everything after that was fairly boring (a million JRPGs!), neat but not my tempo (FFXIV!), or honestly kind of a mess (The Avengers, now featuring five minutes of voice actors explaining stuff like "playing Bruce Banner is an important part of playing The Hulk!").

• Like 1

Yeah, showing the voice actors was a weird choice for E3 and screamed to me that they didn't really have much else to show. Don't get me wrong, I love Troy, Nolan and Laura as much as the next guy but I didn't need to see them trying to explain why I should be excited for a game that really should have sold itself. 

For me I think it goes a little something like this:

1. Nintendo
  2. Square
  3. Microsoft
  4. Bethesda
  5. Ubisoft

But really that's not saying much because even Nintendo didn't hit it totally out of the park.

As far as games I'll be purchasing from E3, I think Link's Awakening, Cyberpunk 2077, 12 Minutes, DOOM Eternal and Final Fantasy VII Remake are all day one purchases. I'll probably also begrudgingly buy Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order on day one because fuck it, it's a single player Star Wars game and that's an unfortunately rare commodity these days. I'm interested in Outer Worlds but that can wait for a sale. I'm super interested in whatever Deathloop is but don't know quite enough about it yet. Watch Dogs Legion and The Avengers haven't sold me yet, and I'm hoping they can convince me otherwise because I'm a big fan of both franchises.

Overall, a kinda lacklustre E3. It's a damn shame.

Dont think there was anything especially necessary for buying on day 1 but I admit I was disappointed with Avengers. There wasnt any gameplay but it looked pretty poor.

Honestly still struggling to figure out the funniest/weirdest part of that presentation. I think it was when they spent a full minute reiterating that the five Avengers who appeared in the trailer are in the game, to rapturous screaming and applause from the crowd.

I'm glad they seem to be going the Overwatch model and not charging for subsequent characters and whatnot. Someone who saw the gameplay yesterday said that the powersets/the way they've differentiated the way each character plays looks decent but that was about it.

17 minutes ago, Josh to the World said:

So this was just about the shittest E3 possible, huh? There’s not one game I imagine I’ll buy.

Really?! I am a cynic with E3 and there are at least two first day buys for me and could be talked into more/some down the line. 

I have several games I'm interested in, some from E3 and some that were announced beforehand. Nintendo's show was solid yesterday, even if I wasn't quite as head-over-heels in love with it as some people were. Maybe that's because I'm not a big Zelda fan.

What I'm really curious about is how The Witcher 3 runs on a Switch. I'd be happy with a version that cuts down significantly on graphical detail to get a decent frame rate. Handheld Witcher sounds fantastic on paper.

Really, I think this E3 was about as good as it was ever likely to be at this stage of a console cycle, and with Sony absent. Next year ought to be more significant as marketing for the new consoles gathers momentum.

1 hour ago, Josh to the World said:

So this was just about the shittest E3 possible, huh? There’s not one game I imagine I’ll buy.

They could have stood up there for 6 hours giving me the finger and telling me what a stupid asshole I am but it still would have been worth it just for Game Pass Ultimate :P 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

What I'm really curious about is how The Witcher 3 runs on a Switch. I'd be happy with a version that cuts down significantly on graphical detail to get a decent frame rate. Handheld Witcher sounds fantastic on paper.

Maaan, they're going to have to hide a second Switch inside the game cart for the Witcher 3 if they think that they're going to get anything approaching a stable framerate for Crookback Bog.

1 hour ago, 9 to 5 said:

Really?! I am a cynic with E3 and there are at least two first day buys for me and could be talked into more/some down the line. 

To be fair, I’ve always been pretty selective with my tastes. Currently, I have RDR 2 (who doesn’t though), Hitman 1&2, a few smaller indie games (did y’all hear I liked Witness? :shifty:), some Jackbox games, GTA V, and Horizon: Zero Dawn. And I’ve yet to even touch Horizon because...I’m not motivated? And I’ve surprisingly found I wasn’t *that* into GTA. I enjoy watching the AH Let’s Plays, but actually playing is like...too loud and busy.

That may actually be what keeps me away from so many games: too loud and busy. It’s how I feel about pretty much every FPS, Smash Bros., a bunch of fighting games, etc. etc. RDR 2 actually can have a zen-like quality to it when you’re just wandering the map, hunting, picking herbs, finding treasure, etc. - punctuated by the occasional gunfight. (And the campaign story is just too damn good.) Hitman is a very focused, take all the time you need thing. The Witness is a similar feel, but with cool scenery and puzzles. And on and on.

The one cool announcement was indeed Gamepass, but I just have a PS4. So.

I'm really excited to see what Blair Witch is like... Avengers looked a tad disappointing... I'm not sure if I'll like Cyberpunk based on the trailer, but Keanu Reeves has me at least somewhat interested in it.

Game Pass Ultimate was a cool announcement too. Aside from that, nothing really stuck out for me.

3 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I think Cyberpunk is going to be amazing. Cool concept and a great team working on it. Plus Keanu of course :lol: 

I'm just typically not into those types of games, but I'll definitely give it a try.

I also just realized that Blair Witch is a day one Game Pass game... and my wife is interested... so going Game Pass Ultimate will be a very easy sell.

2 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

I'm just typically not into those types of games, but I'll definitely give it a try.

I also just realized that Blair Witch is a day one Game Pass game... and my wife is interested... so going Game Pass Ultimate will be a very easy sell.

It is?!? Awesome! Game pass is the best thing ever!