Euro 2020(1)

Lineker

• Admin

UEFA has approved rainbow themes in pitch-side advertising boards at Euro 2020, just days after rejecting the Munich mayor’s proposal to light up the Allianz Arena in rainbow colours.

Rainbow-themed adverts were seen at the Johan Cruyff Arena in Amsterdam, as Wales and Denmark faced off in the first round-of-16 match of the tournament.

Volkswagen, Heineken, Bookings.com and JustEat were among the sponsors who changed their advertising, in support of Pride Month and inclusivity.

Booking.com and Volkswagen then confirmed that their rainbow-themed advert would run in all of the round of 16 matches, including Sunday’s match between the Netherlands and the Czech Republic at the Puskas Arena in Budapest — the scene of homophobic displays in all three of its Euro 2020 fixtures thus far.

A UEFA statement said: “Every partner can decide on their respective messages, artwork and activation activities and their decisions to transmit a message of tolerance and inclusion is fully supported by UEFA.

“We firmly believe in equal rights for all, and this includes supporting the LGBTQI+ community within the framework of our Equal Game campaign.

“For further information please contact the respective partner directly.”

A Booking.com statement read: “As a brand for everyone, Booking.com strongly believes in bringing across messages of unity and inclusion, recognizing the role of travel as a force for good in the world.

“With a mission to make it easier for everyone to experience the world, creating a truly inclusive travel platform and experience for all, we believe that football, like travel, has the power to bring us closer.

“We will always be a champion for everyone’s right to #TravelProud, as well as achieving an #EqualGame.”

Volkswagen said: “The change of Volkswagens pitchside advertising to rainbow colours stands for a positive and colourful sign - for respect and responsibility in our society. Volkswagen stands for democratic values and equality.

“We will see these rainbow-ads throughout the whole round of sixteen - eight games in total.”

7 hours ago, Lineker said:

Croatia's Ivan Perisic has tested positive for Covid.

I guess it was more than just Gilmour in the Scotland squad who has the 'rona.

2 hours ago, Lineker said:

Breaking news: UEFA likes money.

15 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Easier QF for Italy, or Ronaldo getting eliminated?

Come on Belgium.

As for this one, surely the Dutch will have too much for the Czechs.

If Schick gets the ball, I can see them winning. Otherwise, I agree.

MY GOD! Patrice Evra + Clap Hat. I never knew i needed this 

VAR took its time in sending him to the monitor but that's the right decision for me. He slaps the ball away!