UEFA Nations League 2020/21

Lineker

Scotland beating Serbia by the tiniest margin to qualify for Euro2020 then losing 1-0 to Slovakia and Israel to finish 2nd in their Nations League table by two points is very Scotland. I wish I could say any of it appeared tactical, but nope. Qualifying for the World Cup is going to be an impossible task.

Wales are looking good. And weirdly Gibraltar bossing their group.

And we have entirely different set of semi-finalists this time around. The Nations League is hard to follow, but at least it's not massively predictable.

• Like 2

I know it's the sort of competition people forget about when their team is eliminated, but I like the Nations League. It's more interesting than the one-off friendlies you'd normally get. Having said that, it seems that they're sandwiching in such friendlies as well, which I don't think is a good idea.

• Like 2

Aren't the friendlies mainly just there to fill in the fixture gaps for teams without a Nations League game? I get dropping them to an extent to reduce possible Covid exposure, but otherwise I'd imagine international coaches will want to keep the squad together for the full period with the Euros in 6 months, rather than flying in and out for one game.

I say this as someone who didn't even watch the Nations games let alone any friendlies...

• 2 weeks later...