NHL 2021

SeanDMan

Montreal Canadians also have expressed interest in bringing in Tony DeAngelo. If he seems familiar it is because he made a name for himself for tweeting his support of the capital rioters and other Donald Trump initiatives and for getting suspended and cut for fighting with a teammate.

Pretty sure their next move is to bring in Jake Virtanen.

5 hours ago, SeanDMan said:

Montreal Canadians also have expressed interest in bringing in Tony DeAngelo. If he seems familiar it is because he made a name for himself for tweeting his support of the capital rioters and other Donald Trump initiatives and for getting suspended and cut for fighting with a teammate.

Pretty sure their next move is to bring in Jake Virtanen.

And Voynov.

And in other goalie news, Holtby being bought out.

Teams looking for a tandem or backup goaltender would be smart to wait out the market a little bit this off-season. There are going to be good tenders left who will take smaller deals just to get the opportunity to cash in next off-season.

Chicago gets a top goaltender with a big hit here, but it's just one more season and then they can re-evaluate the crease next year. Vegas gets $7 million off the books and re-ignites the Jack Eichel chatter.

Leafs signed Petr Mrazek, then the Hurricanes signed Frederik Andersen. That's kind of fun. The Leafs are now spending less on their goaltending, and I would not be surprised to see Andersen play well in Carolina. 

Calgary has signed Blake Coleman to a six year deal worth $4.5 a year. While I am not a fan of the term, given the mileage on the player, Coleman has a proven track record of being exactly the type of guy needed for the team. He's won the Cup, he plays hard every game, and he holds himself and his teammates accountable. When you talk locker room culture and a need to be harder to play against, Coleman is a perfect fit.

I believe they also came to terms today with Nikita Zadorov, who is a huge bruising defenseman capable of playing big minutes.

Johnny Gaudreau hasn't been moved, which leads me to believe that they either have an extension or trade lined up. There's no way Tree goes into the new season with Gaudreau on an expiring deal.

Ideally, in my mind, we re-sign Gaudreau and move Monahan. It's a sell-low on Monahan for sure, but I honestly don't think his value increases while he's wearing the flaming C. Move him now, recoup what you can. These Tkachuk rumors though... I only move him if he expresses a desire to play elsewhere. If he's interested in staying long-term, I keep him no matter what. Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Lindholm are the only forwards I'm not even considering moving unless they want out.

Crazy prediction... the reason everything is quiet on Johnny Gaudreau right now is that Tree is trying to swing a deal with Buffalo for Jack Eichel that will include multiple pieces going both ways, including Gaudreau and Monahan both to the Sabres.

2 minutes ago, damshow said:

My hunch for awhile has been that an Eichel trade will see proven players going the other way as opposed to a lot of future assets. It'll be a team trading from a position of strength to get a true superstar center to build around for the next decade.

That's what I was thinking. Buffalo doesn't want to be a shit team forever, and no team is going to give up the farm right now for a question mark. But in a tight cap situation, the Sabres could probably get a package of solid NHL bodies that can help them both immediately and in the development of their own prospects.

Calgary is supposedly still very much in on Eichel, and Gaudreau's No Move Clause has kicked in. It's modified though, and he had to submit a list of five teams he'd be okay to move to. I figured that if he didn't sign an extension right away, that it meant Treliving is kicking tires on what a trade looks like.

Maybe packaging him and Monahan together convinced Johnny that Buffalo should be on that list. Moving both guys would mean that we would need to go hunting for another winger, but if the Flames could get that included in the deal or get Buffalo to eat more salary going that way, that would go a long way in helping re-shape our team.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, damshow said:

The Coyotes are getting the boot from Glendale after this upcoming season. I know Bettman will do everything in his power to not lose the Phoenix metro area, especially since he doesn't have a team in Atlanta or Houston. But man, this market just doesn't work.

#BringBackTheThrashers

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Toe said:

I don't want to alarm anyone, but my dream last night involved the Canadiens making the Stanley Cup Finals again.

I feel like they're going to be fighting for the playoffs and could just as easily miss as make it this year... but if they reach the post-season, don't be surprised if they go decently far.

There's a rumor going around that Jack Eichel may finally be moved as part of a three team deal involving the Kings and Flames. Of course, it's coming from Eklund, so grain of salt and all that because he has a history of making a mountain out of a mole hill in order to gain page views and subscribers... but this fits in with what I was thinking Treliving was working on early in the off-season.

I can't see Tree letting the Kings get the best player in the deal, so I'll go out on a limb and say that if this happens, Eichel will be coming to Canada. I am not sure who else goes where, but it would make sense that Buffalo would be interested in one or both of Gaudreau and Monahan.

Treliving also has to know that he's on the hot seat this season. So if a deal materializes, I would expect Calgary gets another forward or two out of LA or Buffalo in the exchange to off-set the fact that we would be down at least two of our major forwards with Eichel missing the beginning of the season. It's playoffs or bust for Calgary this year. They can't be trotting out a garbage lineup while waiting for Eichel to be ready.

Also, if Tree can free up some cap space, I'd love to see him fuck with Vancouver and offer-sheet Petterson. He has to know that he's not going to be around to draft in June if the team doesn't bounce back this year. Now is the time to spend prospect capitol and cash to try and save his job.

Sorry, Eichel is not coming to Calgary, he played for Buffalo not Vancouver.