General Movie Thread 2021

RPS

6 hours ago, Lint said:

yea, but Dune is a REALLY hard sell as a movie.  All the internal monologues, politicking, commentary on colonialism etc...

I've never read the books, but I did like David Lynches movie, also the mini series, the many games based off it, and I found the new movie so boring I turned it off

I honestly can't imagine seeing Dune anywhere but the cinema - it sounds and looked so good. I was completely caught up in the tone and atmosphere on the new one, in terms of world-building, it's pretty astounding. I didn't really invest in any of the characters emotionally, which (for me) sort of holds it back from being the masterpiece a lot of my friends think it is, but I was pretty impressed and appreciated a lot of the decisions they made.

I was actually really impressed by how comprehensible it is as a film, for something that's lauded as so complicated to adapt. I think because it doesn't try to spoon feed information, or feels the need to explain a lot of things, you don't feel like you're not understanding anything because the film doesn't make it seem important. 

Also watched Lynch's version recently, which I enjoyed. It's obviously flawed but I had a lot of fun. 

• 3 weeks later...

So, me and my daughter watched School of Rock on Friday night. I have been bubbling around two very polarizing thoughts about this movie.

Firstly, it was really fun to watch my daughter enjoy the movie. She is wading into more grown up content because she has been stuck watching the same animated movies with her younger siblings. But we have watched Annie, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, etc. But School of Rock was interesting, because it was the first time I really saw her enjoying something subversive. She turned to me about 20 minutes into the movie and said about Jack Black's character "I feel like he is the bad guy, but I really like him!" It was really cool to see my daughter realizing that the tropes and ideas that exist in movies and TV can be inverted. 

Secondly, this movie was actually kind of fucked up to watch. The word gaslighting is overused, but like... that is the entire premise of the movie. Jack Black gaslights everyone so that he can obsess over music. It got kind of icky when he was purposefully romancing the principal with the expressed purpose of taking the kids on a field trip. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RPS said:

So, me and my daughter watched School of Rock on Friday night. I have been bubbling around two very polarizing thoughts about this movie.

Firstly, it was really fun to watch my daughter enjoy the movie. She is wading into more grown up content because she has been stuck watching the same animated movies with her younger siblings. But we have watched Annie, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, etc. But School of Rock was interesting, because it was the first time I really saw her enjoying something subversive. She turned to me about 20 minutes into the movie and said about Jack Black's character "I feel like he is the bad guy, but I really like him!" It was really cool to see my daughter realizing that the tropes and ideas that exist in movies and TV can be inverted. 

Secondly, this movie was actually kind of fucked up to watch. The word gaslighting is overused, but like... that is the entire premise of the movie. Jack Black gaslights everyone so that he can obsess over music. It got kind of icky when he was purposefully romancing the principal with the expressed purpose of taking the kids on a field trip. 

I don't have much to add but School of Rock is one of my favourite films ever made. I think seeing it as a kid has cemented it as an all-time for me and a lot of friends, it's a comfort food film, I can watch it any time and it's always great fun. He's definitely flawed, but he goes on a journey and ultimately it all becomes about the kids. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I don't have much to add but School of Rock is one of my favourite films ever made. I think seeing it as a kid has cemented it as an all-time for me and a lot of friends, it's a comfort food film, I can watch it any time and it's always great fun. He's definitely flawed, but he goes on a journey and ultimately it all becomes about the kids. 

have you seen the stage musical?

On 28/11/2021 at 13:35, RPS said:

I never saw the Thing before. Wow was that movie great. 

Which one? :shifty:

• 2 weeks later...