General Movie Thread 2021

RPS

5 hours ago, livid said:

Looks pretty fun. Hopefully it's actually decent but the February release date never inspires much confidence. 

This feels like the one time where February releases can't be judged as DOA. But I'm not holding my breath with this, am expecting it will wind up being extremely paint-by-numbers.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/21/entertainment/rust-film-accident/index.html

Terrible tragedy. Alec Baldwin discharged a prop gun on the set of his new film resulting in the death of the film's director of photography and injuring the director. 

It’s absolutely unreal. This has to be human error somewhere and it will have to be addressed, possibly leading to the end of careers and criminal negligence. These things are preventable. It’s a question of who exactly is responsible.

There are an absolutely absurd amount of controls in place when using prop guns, this basically shouldn't happen. But it's happened before and likely will happen against as long as live ammunition is used. Keep the guns empty, add the muzzle flashes in post production, etc. Seems like a sensible solution that we could have had in place universally for years now.

18 minutes ago, damshow said:

There are an absolutely absurd amount of controls in place when using prop guns, this basically shouldn't happen. But it's happened before and likely will happen against as long as live ammunition is used. Keep the guns empty, add the muzzle flashes in post production, etc. Seems like a sensible solution that we could have had in place universally for years now.

That's what I'm saying. Using practical effects with guns at this point is just pure stubborness. 

Turns out it had a live round in it. Further still, a bunch of the crew were protesting unsafe work conditions and were replaced. The prop master wasn't union either. 

54 minutes ago, Josh said:

After reading more about what happened, I hope every producer - including Baldwin - gets charged with an assortment of things, even manslaughter.

It sounds like it's a huge clusterfuck. The last thing I read was that the AD shouted "cold gun" and there was a live round in the gun, and just.. god, everything about this is just awful because it's so fucking preventable.

The family of Brandon Lee has called for the banning of all real 'prop' guns on sets.

And The Rookie, the new Nathan Fillion ABC cop show, has said that they will now be using airsoft guns on set and adding muzzles flashes, etc. etc. in post. 

Multiple people who have worked with Dave Halls, the assistant director who handed Baldwin the gun, have come forward to CNN. They say that he regularly disregarded safety protocols on sets, and one person said she was warned to "watch out" for him while working on a Hulu series because he made the crew uncomfortable with unwanted touching, close physical contact, etc. 

Here's the CNN article

On 22/10/2021 at 21:20, The Redeemer CLDY said:

Turns out it had a live round in it. Further still, a bunch of the crew were protesting unsafe work conditions and were replaced. The prop master wasn't union either. 

The armorer is also only 24 years old and this was only the second movie she's worked on. I blame it on her and whoever the idiot who decided hiring her was a good idea is.

Also, Jim Caviezel spoke at a QAnon convention, so I guess that means he's another celebrity we can add to the list of whackos.

13 hours ago, damshow said:

It's really weird since this surely costs more than just filming it all at once. Now there's the risk of some recasts among other things too.

Overall a very weird decision when everything comes out of the box as a franchise these days.

yea, but Dune is a REALLY hard sell as a movie.  All the internal monologues, politicking, commentary on colonialism etc...

I've never read the books, but I did like David Lynches movie, also the mini series, the many games based off it, and I found the new movie so boring I turned it off

On 21/10/2021 at 20:53, GoGo Yubari said:

I am irrationally annoyed that Mark Wahlberg didn't either grow a mustache or wear a fake one. Doesn't feel like Sully without one.

I agree but I wouldn't be surprised if he has one by the end of the movie.