General Movie Thread 2021

RPS

Fear Street: 1978 was an excellent follow-up to Fear Street: 1994.  I think you can totally see the twist coming, but I've seen other people say they were surprised by it.  Otherwise, it was a great tribute/remake of 80s slasher films. 

5 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Both movies are great, but I liked 1978 more than 1994. 

Yea, 1978 was much better then 1994 I think as well

I'm the other way around. I'm a sucker for horror movies set in a camp (Friday The 13th, The Burning, Madman, Sleepaway Camp, etc.), but I really hated the characters. They fell into the trope of late-80s slashers, where you make all the characters terrible so that the audience doesn't mind seeing them die. Even the two sisters were just horrible to each other for way too long.

I still enjoyed the movie, and I really liked the first one (the Intruder-esque kill in the grocery store was a highlight), so I'll be watching the final part tonight for sure.

Fear Street 1666: Better then 1994, not as good as 1978. Solid way to end the trilogy.

Gunpowder Milkshake: Store brand John Wick. I love Karen Gillan as an actress, but she can't carry a fast paced action movie like this.  Though there is one scene where Lena Headey is jumping through the air, dual wielding pistols that made me think "She would've made a great Lara Croft"

On 16/07/2021 at 22:36, Lint said:

Fear Street 1666: Better then 1994, not as good as 1978. Solid way to end the trilogy.

Gunpowder Milkshake: Store brand John Wick. I love Karen Gillan as an actress, but she can't carry a fast paced action movie like this.  Though there is one scene where Lena Headey is jumping through the air, dual wielding pistols that made me think "She would've made a great Lara Croft"

In total agreement about 1666. Saw the twist coming, though, as there were some subtle clues in the other two movies and one of the comments in 1666 nailed it as happening. 

Haven't seen Gunpowder Milkshake yet, but Heidi saw the trailer before I did, and told me about it. I got total female John Wick vibes from the trailer. 

If anyone has Paramount Plus, we're a good ways into Infinite, and its great so far. Aside from giving me Highlander vibes. Its about immortals....sort of

Spoiler

they're reincarnated with memories and skills from their past lives, rather than actually being immortal

....and they just had to go ahead and give Mark Wahlberg a katana. I won't be finishing it until tomorrow, though. 

Edited by GhostMachine

4 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

In total agreement about 1666. Saw the twist coming, though, as there were some subtle clues in the other two movies and one of the comments in 1666 nailed it as happening.

I think some of the "subtle clues" where more plot holes, until you see 1666 and then they made sense

The clues I am talking about:

Spoiler

In 1994, the Sheriff was a bit too casual about everything, and in both 1994 and 1978, the killers never went after him. He only seemed in danger in 1978 because the killers were persuing who he was with.

How do people keep up with what films are coming out these days? Apparently there's a film called Jungle Cruise starring The Rock and Emily Blunt coming out next weekend, and I had never heard of it being made until I saw an ad on the side of a bus. And god knows what I've missed on Netflix, Prime, etc, etc

35 minutes ago, Colly said:

I used to use the coming soon bit on IMDB but probably haven't looked in a year since I've no intention of going to a cinema anytime soon.

It's easy to see what's coming out in the cinema, but no one seems to curate that AND everything brand spanking new being piled on streaming services. Film has also fallen into the content for content's sake trap, it feels.

8 hours ago, GA! said:

How do people keep up with what films are coming out these days? Apparently there's a film called Jungle Cruise starring The Rock and Emily Blunt coming out next weekend, and I had never heard of it being made until I saw an ad on the side of a bus. And god knows what I've missed on Netflix, Prime, etc, etc

Twitter and just generally paying attention to the trades like Deadline, Variety, etc. 

Part of the issue you may be having is that glut of stuff that was supposed to come out last year now finally being released, which Jungle Cruise was supposed to initially come out in 2019 even. And despite things being released in theaters, covid stuff has still muted some marketing pushes that I think otherwise would be getting more steam. 

Gunpowder Milkshake is an incredibly fucking fun movie. Pulpy, funny, and great action. If you like really arch action movies like Kill Bill, I highly recommend it. Be warned: a shit ton of blood.

14 hours ago, Josh said:

Gunpowder Milkshake is an incredibly fucking fun movie. Pulpy, funny, and great action. If you like really arch action movies like Kill Bill, I highly recommend it. Be warned: a shit ton of blood.

I disagree.  I didn't like it.  I thought it was dull, rather poorly edited (that bowling alley scene was rough.  Its like they filled the pulled punches to edit around, then forgot to edit around them), and Karen Gillan just didn't have the charisma to pull off the "stoic action hero".  I really wanted to like it, but just found it disappointing

Meanwhile, Jackass Forever!

I am unreasonably excited for Jackass Forever. I was one of the people who thought "nah, they're too old and I've grown out of it" but I watched the trailer and reverted to being the literal child I was when the last one came out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lint said:

I disagree.  I didn't like it.  I thought it was dull, rather poorly edited (that bowling alley scene was rough.  Its like they filled the pulled punches to edit around, then forgot to edit around them), and Karen Gillan just didn't have the charisma to pull off the "stoic action hero".  I really wanted to like it, but just found it disappointing

Meanwhile, Jackass Forever!

Official registration of my “disagree to all.”

• Like 1

A big challenge with Dune is, as David Lynch ran into, cramming everything into a movie version. It's a book with a lot going on and a lot that has to be explained. However as this is going to be a two-parter that will come close to or exceed a total of 5 hours of runtime I think it won't need to be heavy-handed in its exposition.

The next challenge is making everything look as magical as Dune has looked in people's heads for years. It's set on a desert planet but there's a glow to so much of it thanks to the spice. I think modern effects can get us there. 

Then you gotta hope the script and dialogue sounds natural. A big problem as Dune used dialogue to expose a lot, i.e. it can be a bit unnatural. And Lynch's film fell into that trap. So that's the part I haven't seen yet give me confidence, because the trailers have shown so little of it.

Some elements (especially Baron Harkonnen) have not aged well and even David Lynch rewrote much of Harkonnen in his film. I've read that character is being even further updated for this version. I'm worried they'll try to make him a "complex villain" when at his core he's evil and knows he's evil and doesn't care because it feels good. The female characters were primarily plot devices in the novel, and that's likely going to be changed a bit in this film. Giving them more complexity and initiative at the least.

Overall I think this will be a great film and it's my hope enough people watch it that the second part gets made immediately and perhaps further sequels. It'll also be likely different enough from the novel where, excluding the main storyline beats, you can return to the book and get a different telling of the story.