General Movie Thread 2021

RPS

On 31/03/2021 at 23:44, Lint said:

Really enjoyed Godzilla vs Kong. 

Same here dude

On 01/04/2021 at 00:43, angeluzcr said:

A very good and entertaining movie.If you are a Kaiju movie fan is definitely must see.

I agree, very fun movie

Disney And Sony Reach Windows Deal That Can Sling ‘Spider-Man’ To Disney+ For First Time, Along With Reach Across Hulu, ABC, FX & More

Taken from Reddit

- Starting in 2022, all of Sony's upcoming films will go to Netflix 9 months after their theatrical releases.

- They will stay on Netflix for 1 year, after which they will then move to Disney+ (Sony's R-rated films will go to Hulu).

- Disney+ will also gain the rights to Sony's library, with franchises like Jumanji and Hotel Transylvania going on D+, along with all previously released Spider-Man films.

- The deal lasts until the end of 2026, so it seems Netflix will get the films for the first year and Disney+ will get them for the four years after."

So apparently (Spoilers for Mortal Kombat)

Spoiler

There is no Mortal Kombat tournament in the movie. 

I enjoyed it, mainly because they went all-out with game references, but I'm seeing a lot of disappointment and negative reviews elsewhere.

As far as specifics:

Spoiler

Kano is tremendous throughout.

They made Raiden as unnecessarily confrontational as the games used to, which I enjoyed.

I can understand people's frustrations as they do absolutely no character exposition at any point. They throw in Nitara and Reiko as lambs to slaughter, but also Goro is just there for fodder with no explanation as to who he is or why he's important.

They've baited the hook for a sequel in very obvious ways by saying Johnny Cage will be in the next one.

• Like 1

I enjoyed it!

Spoiler

Main character I was meh on. But all of the game characters were fantastic. It's a shame they killed off Kano, he was probably the best character! Speaking of killing....

They killed off a lot of big names villains already, which is no good if they are planning a sequel (one of the actors signed on for 4 more movies I think?). And Scorpion being a good guy? Crazy!

I did see a funny Easter egg in the background. Graffiti that was a down arrow, right arrow, then LP... which I assume was a special move for someone. 

So just got done with Mortal Kombat and, while it wasn't a great movie, or even a good movie (seriously, outside the action scenes it is really boring), but I'm not disappointed, because it gave me almost everything I wanted!

Spoiler

I wanted Liu Kang to bicycle kick someone and spawn a dragon to chomp some motherfucker in half.  Did I get it?  Yes!

I wanted Kung Lao to bounce his hat off shit a la Captain America and to saw some motherfucker in half.  Did I get it?  Yes!

I wanted Jax to splatter some motherfuckers head with his robo-arms.  Did I get it?  Yes!

I wanted Kano to rip some motherfuckers beating heart out.  Did I get it?  Yes!

I wanted Scorpion to hurl a chain spear at someone and yell 'Get Over Here', then burn some motherfucker by spewing fire from his mouth.  Did I get it?  Yes!

I wanted Shang Tsung to say 'Your soul is mine!'.  Did I get it?  Yes!  (Though maybe a little too much...)

I wanted a pretty bad-ass looking Goro with modern day CG.  Did I get it?  Yes!

So while its not great, or even good (though 'fun' might be accurate), it gave me a lot of the things I wanted from a Mortal Kombat movie, so I can't say I was disappointed by it

• Like 1

Is this how fans in the 90s felt when those Mortal Kombat movies were released? It's not going to win any Oscars, but it's a good cheesy/badly acted action movie just like those were, but with better CGI.

Josh Lawson as Kano was definitely the MVP. 

@Ruki Returns:

Spoiler

Yeah, it's a shame Kano was killed, but Tsung did say death was just another portal or whatever. I fully expect all of them to return. It's a movie about a franchise were no matter how many times you kill these characters, they come back in the next one, after all!

Also the easter egg you're talking about is a Sub-Zero move.

I'm still not completely sold on the Cole character. Kind of feels unnecessary, but I guess I get it. You need that "normal" person to tie the story together for a movie, otherwise it's kind of off-the-rails batshit crazy (well, more than it already is anyway).

Overall - I'll definitely watch the second one. Not in theaters mind you, because I just don't like doing that unless it's for Marvel really, but this was a really fun movie. At one point I paused to get some water, it was an hour in, and somehow it felt like it hadn't been an hour, and like it was over an hour, if that makes any sense at all. But maybe it's because I have the flu right now, who knows!

Regarding Kano:

Spoiler

I'd be amazed if he's actually dead. The gnome (of all things) went into the eye that his usual metal eye implant socket goes, so I'd expect him to be back with his video game accurate look.

RE: Mortal Kombat

Spoiler

I went in just hoping for better than the 90's MK movies and that's what I got. Plenty of characters still to be explored, an actual MK tournament, I am tentatively hopeful for a sequel. The dead characters will almost certainly return, which is good because as everyone else has said, Kano stole the show.

10 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Regarding Kano:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

By all means, as others are suggesting, he can be brought back but it seems pretty unquestionable that he's dead. I mean, that's the whole point behind the mark transferring from person to person and why Sonya has hers.

I thought the movie was okay overall, not quite as cheesy as I remember the first movie being but fun with all the fight scenes and fatalities. Fan servicey as all hell, to a fault I'd say though because those one liners became really grating after a certain point. It was cute at first, especially when it's coming from Kano during the fight at Sonya's place because you can kind of get away with it from him but then you start getting it pretty much all the time from more 'serious' characters like Liu Kang. Just feels a little out of place. Kano on the whole got annoying as well as he seemed to speak entirely in references but I think his heel turn redeemed him a little bit.

Cole is an entirely new character then? I had no previous knowledge of him which would be understandable given I've only really played MK1 and 9, I figured 9 was fairly comprehensive between the cast of characters and the story mode so he probably would have come up. Plus, you'd think a good guy would be more prominent, I didn't know some of the baddies here like the bat lady and the guy Nathan Jones was playing but it's a bit easier for them to be lost in the shuffle.

@tristy makes an interesting point about Cole being the audience surrogate, him being the fish out of water learning about this crazy world and cast of characters. I think most of the heroes had that element about them though, Kano especially being all 'holy shit, you shoot fireballs?!'

Spoiler

I mean, I'm a Mortal Kombat fanatic. It's easily my favourite game series. I was stoked about this movie and decided to cave and spend the 25$ (💀) to watch it on Apple. 

I really enjoyed it overall. I hated seeing characters like Mileena and Goro be relegated to fodder, but I mean... what can you do? I personally marked hard for Nitara, and even though she dies quick... this was a good use of a known character who is fairly unimportant to the overall lore. Ditto for Reiko (who I was surprised was there, I assumed when I saw the huge guy with a hammer that it was Tremor). 

Reptile got a raw deal, again... but that was a good use of him. In fairness, they can easily retcon this and make it so it was Chameleon all along... who actually was transparent in the games a lot more than Reptile. 

Cole... meh... I mean, it didn't hurt the show to have him but I did find him a tad trope-y and a little dull overall. 

Kano will likely be back in the sequel. Sub-Zero will too and burning him to a crisp and showing him blackened with the smoke effects constantly are going to transform him to Noob and we'll see the brother Sub-Zero come in. 

This was by no means a stellar movie, but for a B-Movie Action type of thing, it was solid and catered to the fanbase overall. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the franchise in the years to come. And honestly, I wouldn't hate seeing Cole appear as DLC in the game to tie in. 

Re: Mortal Kombat

Spoiler

Sub-Zero's history also differs from the games: Bi-Han was Sub-Zero in the first game but he wasn't evil. He was murdered by Scorpion, who believed he was avenging the murder of his family and clan. Bi-Han's younger brother has been Sub-Zero since the second game. 

After he died, Bi-Han became Noob Saibot, and is definitely evil. 

Quan Chi actually was behind the slaughter of Scorpion's family and clan, but manipulated him into believing Sub Zero did it.

• Like 1

Oscars

Spoiler

Anyone watch tonight... ? ... Been a weird year, and I can't say I've seen a lot of what was nominated.

Glad to have seen Chloe Zhao get the win, Nomadland looks good and it's on my to-watch list. It winning best picture was no big surprise either, imo. Though I was shocked they didn't end the show with the best picture category.

Anthony Hopkins is a legend, and by all accounts did a great job in The Father, but winning over Chadwick Boseman was criminal. I suspect they put it on last in the hopes of the big heartfelt ending, but that backfired hard and fell even more flat with Hopkins not having a speech at all and Joaquin Phoenix looking he couldn't give less of a shit to be there and do this.

Frances McDormand was a surprise as well, though likely not undeserved. I really assumed Andra Day had it in the bag. Though Viola Davis was phenomenal in Ma Rainey's Black Bottom and I would not have been upset.

Daniel Kaluuya is a solid actor and I was happy to see him win, though I've not seen the film. I am unfamilair with Minari at all, but Youn Yuh-jung had a really entertaining and endearing speech. Gutted for Glenn Close, I thought this was her year and she was a highlight of Hillbilly Elegy (which I'm surprised didn't nab more nominations.... I loved it)

Side note, I can't understand how Borat was nominated for Best Screenplay (seeing as the nature of the film is largely not... scripted and dependent on the other participants' reactions).... and that goes for Maria Bakalova getting nominated. I mean no disrespect to her because that is no easy feat for any actor to go through... but ..... a film of that genre doesn't sit well with me as an Oscar Nominated contender in those categories specifically.

I hated that the ceremony didn't show examples of the work for the technicians... I want to see the costumes, hair and makeup, visual effects, production design, etc.

Spoiler

I can't get on board with everyone online wigging out like it was some sort of highway robbery.  Of course I'd have liked to see the feel good moment with Boseman.  But that's not what the Academy is supposed to be voting on.  It's supposed to go to the best performance and it was a loaded category from that standpoint.  Personally I could've seen any of Boseman, Hopkins, or Ahmed winning.  All were brilliant and would've been deserving winners.

That said, they did themselves no favors by doing the awards in the order they did.  They clearly hedged on Boseman being the overwhelming bettors favorite and that made it a pretty awkward and abrupt end to the show.

That's the thing exactly, was the ending. Clearly they were banking on it. 

Which... serves the producers right to try and benefit from it, imo. I've worked for too many of those types to feel anything other than annoyed or contempt for what they tried to do.