General Television Thread 2021

GhostMachine

1 hour ago, GhostMachine said:

COBRA KAI season 3 was good. Slightly better than 2, i feel. But it ended on yet another cliffhanger....

Well they already announced it was renewed for S4

Some thoughts

Spoiler

Eli/Hawks slow burn face turn through the season was interesting.

Tory is a goddammed psychopath. 

KUMIKO!  CHOZEN!  TYPHOON BELL GIRL!

So many nice little fakeouts during the season, with the not-Ali in the hospital, and the not-Kreese jock in the flashback (who, fun fact, was played by Martin Kove's son!)

Seriously, where are the cops?  All these people should've been arrested, many times!

Yea it was a bittersweet occasion for me on a personal level. Season 1 of Cobra Kai was amazing and I couldn't wait for Season 2 and right after Jessica broke up with me is when it came out, so it was something to get lost in to take my mind of everything. Then I eventually got Michelle really invested into watching it with me when it moved to Netflix a few months ago. But we only got up to Episode 8 of Season 2 before she passed away, so it was one of many things that felt incomplete. So obviously I felt bad that she didn't get to see the end of the season and now Season 3. But as hard as its been in a lot of ways, its once again been something to brighten up a dark, uncertain time in my life. Anyway...

Spoiler

And yeah there are some definite logic holes in it for sure. But the writing and storytelling is so good otherwise and I enjoy the hell out of it and can re-watch it multiple times and never not feel entertained. I know some people aren't big into the soap opera aspects of it with the teenagers, but I guess I'm just a romantic who enjoys some of those heartwarming moments of young love. And there's plenty of comedy and action to offset it anyway.

Maybe its because most the characters from the 80's movies became less prominent over the past 30 years that its refreshing to see them back on our screens in that universe, not just rehashing the same stories as the movies, but expanding it and making each character feel important, and adding nuances to each character arc without overshadowing everybody else. They all have shades of gray that adds depth to their stories (though Kreese is definitely a very dark shade of gray lol). It just comes through how big of fans of the franchise the writers are and its not just another nostalgic cash grab by a big movie studio. 

I actually didn't hate Rise of Skywalker as much as a lot of people did, but I can understand people's criticisms of it and The Force Awakens and especially The Last Jedi. But Cobra Kai seems to get a lot of things right that the sequel trilogy of Star Wars didn't, though the Mandalorian is definitely making up for it now.

And hot damn does Elisabeth Shue still look amazing. Tamlyn Tomita too. Great seeing Chozen be redeemed, even if he's the only bad guy who literally tried to kill Daniel before lol. But outside of Hilary Swank returning as Julie Pierce, he's the only real remaining tie Daniel would have the Miyagi-do karate teachings of the past so I get it.

Here's hoping Thomas Ian Griffith returns as Terry Silver next season, seeing him now with his hair, he really would be "Silver" lol, but if they can't get him out of retirement, the guy who played him in the flashbacks could definitely do a convincing job. And damn Robby, "You were the Chosen One! It was said you would destroy the Cobra Kai, not join them!" :P

Cobra Kai S3

Spoiler

Is anyone shocked that Robby joined Cobra Kai? I was calling that shit all the way back in S1. He just has the face of someone you know is going to be a bad guy. Also something predictable was Johnny and Daniel joining forces to fight Cobra Kai. That should have happened this season, not the next. They were clearly building towards that in S2, then it all fell apart and we had to rebuild (again). That... wasn't fun. I just wanted them to get to the point where they team up and fight Cobra Kai, but no, we have to wait another year (or more, who knows with COVID).

I'm not connected to these characters like most, since I've never seen the movies, but the show does a good job explaining who they are to people like me. I liked the flashbacks for Kreese's backstory, makes you sympathize with him, but then he turns around and does some horrible shit, so you can't like him for too long. Which is good.

Dee Snider is terrible. But, they were correct in making that scene take place infront of maybe 200 people since that's about his limit on gigs these days I'd imagine.

Overall, I'd rate this season as the third best, behind S2 and then S1. I just wasn't feeling it, it's not what I was expecting to happen. The story moved at a glacial pace after they spent a handful of episodes rebuilding Johnny's psyche, Miguel get feeling in legs again, and Daniel's weird self reflection trip to Japan. Sorry, but that last part is just Daniel being a bad father and husband. He fails at getting the automotive company to come back to do business with his dealership, so he sulks and extends his stay, meeting with an ex-girlfriend and doing karate with yet another former rival. Sure, it pays off in the end because of the good he put out into the world like 30 years ago, but imagine yourself in Amanda's shoes. Your husband fails, stays longer in Japan to find himself or whatever, meanwhile you're stuck in California with your daughter fighting a bunch of dudes and a crazy chick. And the kicker? HE DOESN'T BRING BACK A GIFT FOR HIS WIFE! Just a bag for his daughter and some weird Kit-Kats for his son (speaking of - where the fuck his son this season?!).

Cobra Kai season 3 thoughts:

Spoiler

Eli/Hawk's face turn was inevitable, but it came too late, I thought.

Of the Cobra Kai kids, I see Kyler continuing to be a problem even if CK is disbanded. He was a bully before learning martial arts, and attacking Miguel's back when they invaded the Christmas party just showed what a piece of shit he is. If the Karma Bus hits anyone other than Kreese, its going to be Kyler. (ie, he ends up paralyzed, dead or in jail.) Tory is nuts, but she can be dealt with. Kyler is just plain trash.

I don't see how they can continue the story with Kreese for more than one more season. The show has had way too many contrivances already. If that was Terry Silver Kreese called at the end, I cannot see how he can be much of a threat unless he throws his money around. Daniel now knowing the pressure point secrets gives him a serious advantage over both assholes in a fight. And if he teaches Johnny and the kids.....

Enjoyed seeing Kreese's back story, but knowing why he became a douchebag doesn't really make him more sympatheric.

5 hours ago, LUKIE said:

Anyone watched The Watch yet?

Gonna catch the first two eps tonight.

I thought it started this weekend. But apparently two are already out. Neat! Let me know how it is! I'll probably watch it this weekend.

• Like 1

Or if you'd rather not, here's an MBMAM animatic that lays it out.

Tim Allen can fuck off and take his right-wing bullshit with him.

• Thanks 2

On 09/01/2021 at 14:12, Ruki Returns said:

I thought it started this weekend. But apparently two are already out. Neat! Let me know how it is! I'll probably watch it this weekend.

I enjoyed the first episode. There were some jarring moments and the pacing of it was a little weird. There was only one thing that I really don't understand:

Spoiler

Carrot is a human that is adopted by dwarves and basically has issues with the clan being afraid of him due to his size, and thus he is sent away to the Watch.

Cheery is also a dwarf, but is human sized, and comes across as a trans character even though the original character was her as a dwarf embracing her femineity which doesn't exist in dwarven culture. It's contradictory to Carrots story, and just doesn't make much sense.

13 hours ago, LUKIE said:

I enjoyed the first episode. There were some jarring moments and the pacing of it was a little weird. There was only one thing that I really don't understand:

Reveal hidden contents

Episode 2 was a lot better. One thing:

Spoiler

I guess it is peoples perceptions of characters but when they introduced the Librarian I literally just wanted an Orangutan, not an anthropomorphic orangutan. I feel that was detrimental.

Caught up with Cobra Kai. Bloody brilliant. Need some more.

Spoiler

Had the Hawk face turn spoiled, but was still pretty satisfying. Just a shame there wasn't more of Kyler and Tory getting battered. But, spose that's for next season. 

Last couple of seasons there were moments when you'd root for Miguel and Robby, but the latter was a bit of a prick the entire season. Guess he'll be in for a late face turn next season. 

Was pretty obvious that Daniel and Johnny would end up joining forces, but still pretty cool to actually see. 

Also it did kind of make me laugh that both dojos had a random midget kid that got battered at various points in time. Especially when the one got thrown through a window when he went outside because he heard a cat.

• Like 1

So I'm rewatching Buffy The Vampire Slayer for like the millionth time and I decided to check to see what Alyson Hannigan was doing now.....only to realize that she's going to be 47 years old this year. How fucking old does that make me feel.

Also apparently she's just doing a Penn & Teller Magic competition show and some small side gigs here and there.

I didn't realize that Alexis Denisoff was on Legacies. I might actually check him out in that and see how close it is to his Wesley character.

Speaking of Buffy actors, it's been so long since I've seen Emma Caulfield in anything (apparently by design, she stepped away from acting to raise a kid) that I didn't recognize her as Dottie in WandaVision at all.

2 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Speaking of Buffy actors, it's been so long since I've seen Emma Caulfield in anything (apparently by design, she stepped away from acting to raise a kid) that I didn't recognize her as Dottie in WandaVision at all.

Funny that you mention that as I'm actually going through the actors/actresses from the show and am on her profile now. I have not yet watched WandaVision yet but plan to watch what is up this weekend. Is it good?