General Television Thread 2021

GhostMachine

2 hours ago, Pooker said:

I only got 4 right. Was a lot harder this year, plus I didn't know who quite a few of the people where.

i figured out:

Spoiler

Dwight Howard (Octopus) immediately. Clues were too easy. Toni Braxton (Pufferfish) right before she got eliminated. Faith Evans (Skunk) by her second performance. Katherine McPhee and David Foster (Banana Split) by their second. And Jewel (Queen of Hearts) by her third. Heidi thought Cupcake was a man (Billy Porter, maybe), and we both thought Hamster was Gabriel Iglesias. I'll also flat out say that I doubt anyone got Johnny Rotten as the Jester. That was a MAJOR shocker! (I did figure Cupcake was one of the surviving Pointer Sisters right before she was eliminated, but don't count it.)

But have you noticed that all 6 winners have been actual singers? (Wayne Brady is too damn talented!)

3 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

i figured out:

Reveal hidden contents

Dwight Howard (Octopus) immediately. Clues were too easy. Toni Braxton (Pufferfish) right before she got eliminated. Faith Evans (Skunk) by her second performance. Katherine McPhee and David Foster (Banana Split) by their second. And Jewel (Queen of Hearts) by her third. Heidi thought Cupcake was a man (Billy Porter, maybe), and we both thought Hamster was Gabriel Iglesias. I'll also flat out say that I doubt anyone got Johnny Rotten as the Jester. That was a MAJOR shocker! (I did figure Cupcake was one of the surviving Pointer Sisters right before she was eliminated, but don't count it.)

But have you noticed that all 6 winners have been actual singers? (Wayne Brady is too damn talented!)

Spoiler

I forgot about Dwight, I did know that one. Also got Larry the Cable Guy, Rob Schneider, Willie Robertson, and Skunk. My wife was amazed because she said I pulled Larry the Cable Guy out of nowhere. Robertson I knee from the start.

3 hours ago, Pooker said:
  Hide contents

I forgot about Dwight, I did know that one. Also got Larry the Cable Guy, Rob Schneider, Willie Robertson, and Skunk. My wife was amazed because she said I pulled Larry the Cable Guy out of nowhere. Robertson I knee from the start.

Spoiler

I never would have gotten Willie Robertson, as I've never been a Duck Dynasty fan. Was not surprised Todrick Hall was the Bull, but I'm not majorly familiar with his work as a singer. 

Around 6 PM SNL announced that they’d still be doing their annual Christmas show tonight but there would be no live audience and a limited cast.

Supposedly they taped some sketches with the limited cast but with everything being written with a live audience in mind, nobody could really get into it so they just scrapped the episode and sent nearly everybody home.

Kenan Thompson was the only cast member left joined by Paul Rudd (the host), Tom Hanks (who had flown in to induct Rudd into the 5 timers club), and Tina Fey.  It essentially became a clip show with old Christmas sketches and the only new content being the digital shorts that were recorded earlier in the week.

A very March 2020-esque uncomfortable feeling to it.

On 18/12/2021 at 23:07, CM Busch said:

>Tom Hanks (who had flown in to induct Rudd into the 5 timers club)

>A very March 2020-esque uncomfortable feeling to it.

i hope this doesn't mean i'm about to learn about another spawn of tom hanks and have a white walker winter or whatever 

6 hours ago, Josh said:

We finally signed up for Apple TV+, as I got 3 months free with my new phone plan. We intend to get around to a lot, but we’ve watched a few episodes of Schmigadoon! so far and love it.

You need to watch Mythic Quest immediately.

And I guess Ted Lasso, too. I guess.

--

Anyway, I'm on the last season of Shameless and why does everyone always say it goes down in quality in the later seasons? I've honestly liked all 10 seasons so far, even though Fiona got really annoying right before she left the show. I'm definitely on Team Lip, though. He's the most put together and mature, even moreso than Fiona. I'm about to start season 11, but I'm not too thrilled that COVID is a thing for this final season. It's really odd to watch these characters wear masks and talk about stuff we're still dealing with in reality.

16 hours ago, tristy said:

You need to watch Mythic Quest immediately.

And I guess Ted Lasso, too. I guess.

--

Anyway, I'm on the last season of Shameless and why does everyone always say it goes down in quality in the later seasons? I've honestly liked all 10 seasons so far, even though Fiona got really annoying right before she left the show. I'm definitely on Team Lip, though. He's the most put together and mature, even moreso than Fiona. I'm about to start season 11, but I'm not too thrilled that COVID is a thing for this final season. It's really odd to watch these characters wear masks and talk about stuff we're still dealing with in reality.

I found the show tended to dip a bit in quality at points, but it always came back around as soon as they put more emphasis on different characters. Kev and V were highlights of the final seasons, and though the last season does focus on Covid, it's easily the most well done look at life in the age of that virus that I've seen.

• Like 1

I'm watching the last 2 episodes of season 4 of F Is For Family then moving on to season 5.

But while I'm here, I gotta say, the last two episodes of season 4 have so many quotable, (fucked up), hilarious moments.

Spoiler

"Your name is Walt, you have four kids, and what really makes your soda shoot is my tongue up your -- "
"Okay, okay! You can ride! That's the last time I shit where I eat."
"And you never paid for that, either!"

• Like 1

Fuck Wheel of Fortune. :angry:

A few nights ago, they had someone solve the final puzzle, but didn't give them the prize because they paused too long before saying the final word even though she finished before time ran out. Seriously. The prize was an Audi Q3 SUV.

People on Twitter were NOT happy, and some media outlets called the show out on that bs. I watched the show, and Pat Sajak wasn't happy, either, but had to follow the show's rules. 

Guess what? Audi is giving her an Audi Q3, anyway. :w00t: Unlikely to happen, but I also hope they drop out as a sponsor.

I really enjoyed the final season of F Is For Family. I didn't realize it was only 8 episodes so when I got to episode 8 I was expecting 2 more - I should have cottoned on that it was wrapping up when

Spoiler

Big Bill's friend explains "Bach 16" to Frank at the bar on Christmas day. And then Frank goes to the cemetery, plays it for his dad, and he doesn't get angry; there's no outburst; there's no tirade and fuck yous. It's just this solemn acceptance.

And then that final family dinner. Beautiful.