General Television Thread 2021

GhostMachine

So I do watch television, I promise. Just some thoughts on shows we've watched....

The Blacklist - This started out fun, I really like James Spader a lot. But the show got increasingly silly and it grew tiresome that somebody was in trouble/kidnapped every episode. Whatever, we gave up after awhile.

The Boys - Fucking brilliant. 

Cobra Kai - So much fun, so much fucking fun. I loved this. It was so absurd and campy, but it's based off an 80s movie so it needs the absurdity and campiness. Loved it, should have watched this sooner. 

Ren and Stimpy - This show is funnier today to me than when I was a kid. The gross out humor isn't quite for me anymore but it's the other dumb shit I can't help but love. My kids love it. 

Barbarians - This was really good, really enjoyed this. Maybe not up there with the Last Kingdom (one of my all-time favorites) but still a very good little series for fans of Vikings/Last Kingdom (different era and venue but I think would appeal to fans of those shows)

Thats about it actually. 

The Morning Show's pilot is not great and has some laughably bad dialogue but it improves as the season goes on. It's basically like a soapy version of The Newsroom. The cast has their moments but Billy Crudup is great and is clearly having a blast. 

On 17/03/2021 at 17:16, VerbalPuke said:

So I do watch television, I promise. Just some thoughts on shows we've watched....

The Blacklist - This started out fun, I really like James Spader a lot. But the show got increasingly silly and it grew tiresome that somebody was in trouble/kidnapped every episode. Whatever, we gave up after awhile.

The show really went stupid at the end of last season, and has gotten even worse. Elizabeth Keen is now a criminal, and is worse than Reddington. I think once this current storyarc ends, she's also going to be an idiot.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

The show really went stupid at the end of last season, and has gotten even worse. Elizabeth Keen is now a criminal, and is worse than Reddington. I think once this current storyarc ends, she's also going to be an idiot.

Glad I cut bait then honestly. 

On 18/03/2021 at 11:47, livid said:

The Morning Show's pilot is not great and has some laughably bad dialogue but it improves as the season goes on. It's basically like a soapy version of The Newsroom. The cast has their moments but Billy Crudup is great and is clearly having a blast. 

But The Newsroom is a soapy version of The Newsroom. :shifty:

Looks like TJ Miller wasn’t the only creep/weirdo on Silicon Valley - Thomas Middleditch is accused of groping several women and there’s already stories out there about him forcing his ex-wife into an open relationship and talking to film crew members about how “dumb” she is and he should have never married a fan.

Ben Schwartz has already scrubbed mentions of him from his Twitter - notable since they had their improv comedy show on Netflix.

I remember Alice Wetterlund, who recurred on season 2 of Silicon Valley, saying shortly after the TJ Miller stuff broke out that that it was a really toxic work environment and it wasn't just him. So I think I was always a little prepared for a story like this to come out.

EDIT: Unrelated, but my dad and I watched through the two seasons of Warrior on HBO Max and that show is great. If you like martial arts stuff/pulp cable shows give it a look.

19 hours ago, tristy said:

Looks like TJ Miller wasn’t the only creep/weirdo on Silicon Valley - Thomas Middleditch is accused of groping several women and there’s already stories out there about him forcing his ex-wife into an open relationship and talking to film crew members about how “dumb” she is and he should have never married a fan.

Ben Schwartz has already scrubbed mentions of him from his Twitter - notable since they had their improv comedy show on Netflix.

I was reading this wondering how Ben Schwartz would react. Their improv work together was great. Ah well, Schwartz can move on to bigger and better things.

Probably time to retcon "Silicon Valley" from cultural consciousness too. There are other shows.

Curious now if CBS does anything about "B Positive" or if, since it's CBS, they don't care since their main audience can barely use Facebook.

Speaking of, we watched Flora and Ulysses on Disney+ with the kids the other day and it was surprisingly good. Basically Schwartz plus his entire Ducktales cast being daft with some lovely Disney heartwarming ness.

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

It's unbelievable, isn't it? Still processing it six months later. 

It is certainly unexpected. My only exposure to Michaela Cole was Chewing Gum and I May Destroy You is... very very different. 

I finished the first two episodes. 

• Like 1