General Television Thread 2021

GhostMachine

2 hours ago, Adam said:

Pride is a good British film that covers the AIDS crisis in the 80s, although it's not the main focus of the plot. It's got Dominic West, Bill Nighy, Ireland Staunton and Andrew Scott in it, and I'd highly recommend to anyone.

Doing a group watch of this today! I've seen it but it's definitely worth a re-watch.

• Like 1

So after I May Destroy You (my choice), It's a Sin (hubby's choice) we started a new show - Fleabag. Man oh man is this one good. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RPS said:

So after I May Destroy You (my choice), It's a Sin (hubby's choice) we started a new show - Fleabag. Man oh man is this one good. 

Fleabag is so good. Not long either. I powered through it when I watched.

I May Destroy You is on my watch list thanks to your recommendation. Finishing up season 1 of Shadow & Bones and then I'll hop into it.

I loved It's A Sin. It's not a happy story but I did think they did a decent job putting in moments of queer joy. 

Getting ready to watch THE STAND, on Paramount+. 

I have the original THE STAND mini-series on DVD, as its one of my favorite Stephen King adaptations. This new version better measure up.

Also, just watched the latest episode of THE CHALLENGE ALL-STARS on there, and am not happy at all regarding who went home. Would have watched it when it was added Thursday night, but have Paramount+ through Roku, and it was having issues running through Roku for a few days.

The Morning Show on Apple TV+ isn't what I was expecting AT ALL, and now I'm really into it. I thought it would be a comedy/drama and man oh man is it most definitely not that. Reese Witherspoon is a welcome surprise in this, she's really good. Much like Kirsten Dunst in On Becoming A God, I never thought either of them would A) do TV roles or B) excel at them, but they both proved me wrong.

Jennifer Aniston is just there, though. Billy Crudup is just chewing up scenery in every shot he's in with dialogue and I fuckin' love it.

• Like 1

Starting Mare of Easttown on HBO Max and GOD there are so many little Eastern PA references I love it.  In the first episode someone even talks about going to Allentown and I was like "Yea!!!"

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RPS said:

Welcome to the British revolution. 

Do Small Axe after! 

1 hour ago, Lint said:

Starting Mare of Easttown on HBO Max and GOD there are so many little Eastern PA references I love it.  In the first episode someone even talks about going to Allentown and I was like "Yea!!!"

I really liked the first two episodes, it's incredibly well cast and Kate Winslet is so good in it. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I really liked the first two episodes, it's incredibly well cast and Kate Winslet is so good in it. 

Having lived in that area, I know a few people like the characters in the show.  Kates accent seems to be a little off to me.  She sounds like she says home as "haome" or something similar, and that sounds off, but she also says water as "wooder" and that is just spot on

12 hours ago, Jimmy said:

You boy's done it - all caught up on Line of Duty, ready for the finale!

Hide contents

Carmichael is infuriating. I just can't with her. 

....was it as disappointing for you guys as it was for me?

40 minutes ago, Kaney said:

....was it as disappointing for you guys as it was for me?

Spoiler

Massively so. People comparing it to Game of Thrones are well wide of the mark in my opinion, but yes it was a let down. Perhaps they built it up too much, happens to an awful lot of these dramatic serial shows.

I still enjoyed the journey immensely, even if they didn't stick the landing.

4 minutes ago, Adam said:
  Hide contents

Massively so. People comparing it to Game of Thrones are well wide of the mark in my opinion, but yes it was a let down. Perhaps they built it up too much, happens to an awful lot of these dramatic serial shows.

I still enjoyed the journey immensely, even if they didn't stick the landing.

Spoiler

Yeah, the comparisons to Game of Thrones are wild to me.

This still stayed true to the show, it just wasn't a particularly dramatic or cathartic episode. I thought it was sensible - I think it could've been brave, but it felt like they were playing it safe within the perimeters of trying something daring, which was an anti-ending of sorts, which sought to make a political point, while also trying to give closure to characters we love - and then got caught in an in-between. 

I think it didn't help that everyone was so hyped for it, and to an extent, everyone in the show seemed to be hyping it up. It's not an end that needing hyping. 

Ultimately, before this season, what was particularly great was that each season operated as a stand alone season of TV that also added to a bigger, wider picture. This season - that was absolutely more about connecting the dots, just didn't feel as complete or well worked.

I don't think it's a bad ending, I don't think it tarnishes anything, they just didn't quite land it.

• Like 2

Really good rendition of a Dolly Parton song with some sketches of the cast members and their mothers. It's rather lovely.

Been running through Line of Duty last couple go weekends. Season 4 just finished.

Spoiler

Really enjoying it, only had two complaints. First was the awful camera zoom in they used in season one and two that made me feel like I was watching The Office. Second was Thandiwe Newton being her usual utterly dull self. Other than that, great show.

Gutted James/Jamie didn't get a proper chance to become a regular though. Really liked him. Ditto I would like more of the Asian lady who I forget the name of.

It annoyed me that they had Thandiwe point out the failures of diversity in policing but then have largely relegated POC and women to side characters and villains in the show. Show runners need to practice what they preach y'all.

• Like 1

Donald Glover talking about TV shows being afraid of being canceled (as in, by the network) and Twitter & mainstream outlets picking up on it and saying he's "critiquing cancel culture" is some peak 2021 energy. 

• Like 1