General Television Thread 2021

GhostMachine

The Flight Attendant on HBO Max is really good! I saw the "twist" about the killer happening, but it was still fun - and still had some surprises in store even after some viewers potentially connected the dots too early. I didn't see a need for Megan's subplot, but I guess that's going to be explored further in the second season. But I've never really liked Rosie Perez's acting, so.... I don't know.

And the ending is kind of vague - maybe it's because it was 7am and I was sleepy so I wasn't getting it all or whatever, but...

Spoiler

is Miranda coming for Cassie, or was it a friendly "see you soon" type thing? Cassie kind of smirks at the very end outside the dinner, but I don't know. Miranda really has no reason to come after her, unless she's now of the opinion that Cassie is a loose end that needs to be fixed (since she's the obsessive, "I need to fix my mistakes" type according to the show.

I'm not sure I want to see Cassie become a human asset for the CIA, either. But I guess they need to justify a 2nd season and a new story for her, so... I dunno, it's necessary I guess.

• Like 2

I thought the first two episodes of The Underground Railroad were stunning. Barry Jenkins has done such a wonderful job so far. 

Also enjoying Starstruck and The Investigation, both on iPlayer. The latter had kind of gone under my radar, but as a massive fan of Tobias Lindhom and Pilau Asbaek's other collaborations, A Hijacking and A War, I knew I'd do be into it. 

Isn't Michael the greatest boss of all time? Whatever happened on that show Lost? Will be there be a third season of Fleabag? 

This is your general discussion thread for TV Shows. Feel free to discuss the latest and greatest as it pertains to TV shows and any other miscellaneous news that does not fit elsewhere. 

• Like 1

Somehow this looks cheaper than the original, and while US remakes can be better than they used to be (Office, Shameless) I don't hold out much hope in this case. Tl:dr, everyone should watch Ghosts (not this one).

11 hours ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

@RPS I finally dived into I May Destroy You and finished it in like three days. Incredible stuff.

Is the finale not perfectly done? 

Spoiler

That first fake out with them killing the rapist actually had me for a minute. 

1 hour ago, RPS said:

Is the finale not perfectly done? 

Hide contents

That first fake out with them killing the rapist actually had me for a minute. 

Spoiler

Yeah, same. I thought it might be setting up a second season with them having murdered the guy, so I was glad that it ended up being a fake out. 

9 minutes ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, same. I thought it might be setting up a second season with them having murdered the guy, so I was glad that it ended up being a fake out. 

Spoiler

Yeah. I liked how it ended and no second season. 

I thought Bella's stance on forgiveness, revenge and resolution was really interesting. She envisioned three scenarios in which she attempted to find resolution from her rapist and instead opted not to and focus on herself. I saw some critiquing Bella (and Coel) view on forgiveness and tolerance in the face of "inscrutable" acts and how it could tie into BLM, cancel culture, etc. I sort of disregard that, because I do not think Coel needs to provide a satisfying narrative of how we deal with wide, systematic problems. In the show itself, Bella needed a way out of the trauma spiral she was in and found it by simply walking away from revenge and opting instead to find resolution within herself. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RPS said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I agree. The system and society put her in a situation where there couldn't be justice, not Bella. 

On 15/05/2021 at 11:01, GhostMachine said:

I'm not happy Prodigal Son has been cancelled, but I sort of understand it. The current season has been rather all over the place.

I feel you on this. It took me about 4 episodes to get into it last year, and get past the obvious Silence Of The Lambs type comparisons. But, then it really took off. Payne and Sheen were a delight to watch. The mother was a tad too over the top.

I did like how they ended season 1, however, season 2 was a tad too dull for me.

I didnt even realize Catherine Zeta Jones was in it until 2 or 3 episodes later. 

4 hours ago, million$$man said:

I feel you on this. It took me about 4 episodes to get into it last year, and get past the obvious Silence Of The Lambs type comparisons. But, then it really took off. Payne and Sheen were a delight to watch. The mother was a tad too over the top.

I did like how they ended season 1, however, season 2 was a tad too dull for me.

I didnt even realize Catherine Zeta Jones was in it until 2 or 3 episodes later. 

They're apparently trying to shop it around to see if another network or streaming service will pick it up. Hope so, since it ended on a cliffhanger. 

Finished The Office (US). That was emotional. Now I have no idea what we'll watch every night. 

We have occasionally been flicking Frasier on, so maybe we'll continue with that.

I really want the wife to watch Six Feet Under with me though. Genuinely the best TV show I've ever watched from start to finish.

• Like 1