General Television Thread 2021

GhostMachine

5 minutes ago, FLiam said:

Nope. Can’t say I have.

Whats it on? 

HBO so I’m guessing HBO Max. 7 seasons IIRC. Made by Armando Ianucci, though he didn’t run the show in the last season. I feel like some of the meaner jokes probably haven’t aged super well but I’d still say it’s a good show worth a watch

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FLiam said:

Finished The Office (US). That was emotional. Now I have no idea what we'll watch every night. 

You just start back over on Episode 1, or at least that's been my methodology for the last 8 years.

• Like 2

If you dig The Office, Parks and Rec is an easy successor. The Good Place gets further away, but it’s even better than those. Maybe you’d dig Community?

On a different (partly related) note, my wife and I have been watching Ghosts (British ensemble comedy) and Rutherford Falls (the latest Schur-run show.) Both are tremendous in very different ways.

• Like 2

Rewatching Scrubs for the first time in a long while and it holds up a lot better than I assumed. Takes a season to pick up, and there's some questionable stuff that wouldn't fly in today's environment that made me feel a bit uncomfortable, but other than that it's solid.

Definitely a fall off in quality in season six and seven when it does that sitcom thing of people having babies, but season eight picks back up and fixed a lot of errors they made in the show's constantly extended lifespan, and gives great closure.

Season nine is okay, definitely better than people give it credit for, but I feel like I said that first time I watched it too. Definitely feels like a different show though.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, St. Dubb said:

You just start back over on Episode 1, or at least that's been my methodology for the last 8 years.

Literally this. Parks is a good shout too. 

Recently watched New Girl on Netflix too. It is pretty dumb, but it filled that 20 minute episode comedy void for a while. Would recommend.

21 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

Recently watched New Girl on Netflix too. It is pretty dumb, but it filled that 20 minute episode comedy void for a while. Would recommend.

Shut your mouth, Schmidt and Cece is the greatest love story of our generation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Josh Mulaney said:

If you dig The Office, Parks and Rec is an easy successor. The Good Place gets further away, but it’s even better than those. Maybe you’d dig Community?

On a different (partly related) note, my wife and I have been watching Ghosts (British ensemble comedy) and Rutherford Falls (the latest Schur-run show.) Both are tremendous in very different ways.

Already done Parks and Rec but The Good Place might be a good shout. 

• Like 1

Definitely go with The Good Place. We'll talk to you in a few days once you've binged the whole show.

2 hours ago, Cymbols said:

New Girl is such a weird show. I think it's really good for a lot of reasons but it already feels like it's from a bygone era. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to fill that 20 minute sitcom, but man, my early 30s are radically different than their early 30s. And I feel that's the case for everyone born in the late 80s vs early 80s.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bad News Jericode said:

Are all the episodes out? We started watching Motherland because we weren't sure.

Side note, Motherland is great and I can't believe this is the same actress who portrays Carmichael in Line of Duty.

Finale is Monday in the UK, so now's a good time to start. Really enjoyed it week-by-week, feels like event television. 

Yeah the Friends reunion was lovely. Fits the whole vibe of the show, whack it on and forget about your problem for a while type thing. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Finale is Monday in the UK, so now's a good time to start. Really enjoyed it week-by-week, feels like event television. 

Ahh sweet, we finished Motherland series 1 yesterday but I know the subsequent seasons are shorter, so we'll probably burn those off over the bank holiday weekend and start Mare of Easttown then.

• Like 1

Merle Dandridge is making the jump from being the voice and face of Marlene in The Last of Us to actually playing her in the live action HBO series.

• Like 1