General Television Thread 2021

GhostMachine

10 minutes ago, RPS said:

It is certainly unexpected. My only exposure to Michaela Cole was Chewing Gum and I May Destroy You is... very very different. 

I finished the first two episodes. 

She's extraordinary; she had offers for more money from Netflix, but they don't let their creators own their content, whereas BBC gave her 100% ownership. Hopefully we keep investing in her because she's an incredible voice. Between I May Destroy You and Small Axe I think the BBC funded the two best things on TV last year, both very much about the Black British experience as well.

5 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

10 minutes into the new Mighty Ducks series... I hate the rich parents.

My wife had to leave the room when I was watching it. She hates underdog sports movies/shows! I don't care that it was cringy, I'm Canadian, I legally have to consume hockey related media! (Also, I enjoyed it. The 'new kid' reminded me of William Nylander. The flow and the jersey!)

On 26/03/2021 at 20:43, damshow said:

Superstore finale

Hide contents

So are we just supposed to ignore that they basically revealed Elias is probably a serial killer depositing the feet of his victims at his place of work?

Spoiler

You can probably safely guess he got caught since he wasn’t at the BBQ at the end.

• Like 1

On 23/05/2020 at 20:44, Josh Mulaney said:

Yes and no. It’ll give you some closure and some great moments, but there’s only so much time there. I’d also advise waiting a while, as a lot of time goes by between the show and the movie. Taking some time away makes the viewing better.

I took your advice and waited a while! I bought the DVD a few months ago but left it in the drawer until I felt like watching it, and tonight I just felt like it. So I waited ten months - ten years might have been a bit much!

I loved it, thought the film was a wonderful continuation of the series and ended in a very appropriate way. When you look at the themes playing on the weight and effect of time on all the characters and think of the real life Alzheimer's diagnosis of David Milch, it is a rather poignant and emotional experience. Wonderfully acted as expected too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Subject Delta said:

Is it just me or do the voices sound... Off? I can't put my finger on it but all the voices just sound weird.

Seemed fine but you're probably picking up them recording all of it from their homes. 

On season seven of the Office and Ryan is low-key the best character. Wait, Kevin is.

No, Toby. Toby is the best. Or Creed. I don’t know, so many great characters that don’t really have big parts in the grand scheme of things.

Michael Scott is obviously wonderful and I imagine this show does dip in quality without him.

On 26/03/2021 at 16:19, Ruki Returns said:

10 minutes into the new Mighty Ducks series... I hate the rich parents.

Is the coach of The Ducks one of the hockey bros from Letterkenny?  He looks really familiar.

And also, this show is just proving @Maxx right that the Ducks turned heel

Edit: Upon further research, yes, the Ducks coach is the one hockey bro from Letterkenny

9 minutes ago, Ruki Returns said:

He plays such a good hockey douche.

He really does

7 hours ago, Lint said:

Is the coach of The Ducks one of the hockey bros from Letterkenny?  He looks really familiar.

And also, this show is just proving @Maxx right that the Ducks turned heel

Edit: Upon further research, yes, the Ducks coach is the one hockey bro from Letterkenny

#thewarriorsdidnothingwrong

13 hours ago, FLiam said:

On season seven of the Office and Ryan is low-key the best character. Wait, Kevin is.

No, Toby. Toby is the best. Or Creed. I don’t know, so many great characters that don’t really have big parts in the grand scheme of things.

Michael Scott is obviously wonderful and I imagine this show does dip in quality without him.

Once they committed to ending the show I think there was a bit of a jump in quality, not to the levels with Michael but close enough. Season 8 is all over the place as you'd suspect given the lack of Michael, and it's a lot of them clearly trying things out and seeing what works. I found Season 9 mostly better because there was a clear focus on wrapping things up and giving the wonderful cast of characters each their final moments in the sun.

• Like 1

I love the fact they gave every person in the actual Office a character and a personality rather than having random extras in the background all the time too. Obviously they had more episodes to work with than the UK one, but some shows would use extras, it’s much better that they didn’t. Such great casting for all of them too.