General Television Thread 2021

GhostMachine

12 minutes ago, Forky said:

Funny that you mention that as I'm actually going through the actors/actresses from the show and am on her profile now. I have not yet watched WandaVision yet but plan to watch what is up this weekend. Is it good?

I really like it. Like, even just on a purely conceptual level it's the kind of stuff I'm extremely into but I think it's nailing the balancing act of being a show that's pulling off pastiches of classic sitcoms and the way that form evolves and still being a superhero show that's clearly tying into and building on like seven or eight years of canon.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Forky said:

So I'm rewatching Buffy The Vampire Slayer for like the millionth time and I decided to check to see what Alyson Hannigan was doing now.....only to realize that she's going to be 47 years old this year. How fucking old does that make me feel.

Also apparently she's just doing a Penn & Teller Magic competition show and some small side gigs here and there.

She's also going to be in a Disney+ movie that comes out in February (I believe) about a super powered squirrel that also has Danny Pudi and Ben Schwartz!

1 minute ago, St. Dubb said:

She's also going to be in a Disney+ movie that comes out in February (I believe) about a super powered squirrel that also has Danny Pudi and Ben Schwartz!

Actually that is what made me first go "Holy shit I'm old" when I looked at it and she was playing the little girls mom. I mean I know she had kids but I just never thought of it. Willow Rosenburg is a Mom now.

I've been watching a lot of Middleditch & Schwartz clips and compilations/edits on YouTube and fuck, I forgot just how much I loved every episode of their comedy special on Netflix. "Parking Lot Wedding" (which is the first episode, IIRC) still reigns as my favorite.

Ben's "oh nnnooo..." at the Short Paul voice gets me every time, as does the physical comedy of "Short Paul" jumping to stomp his cigarette out. It's so good.

• Like 2

My wife and I recently, finally gave Steven Universe a go, after many recommendations. We adore it. We finished the main series and the movie and are now in the midst of Steven Universe Future.

It’s all this perfect mix of silliness, world building, action, and emotional depth. It’s also unique for being a regular ol’ kids’ cartoon that regularly addresses topics like puberty, queerness, and sex, either directly or metaphorically. It all adds up to a highly entertaining and soul-soothing experience. Plus great music!

So, since we’re almost done, does anyone have recommendations for a show that will fill this unique void when we’re done? We’re really gonna miss it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Josh Mulaney said:

My wife and I recently, finally gave Steven Universe a go, after many recommendations. We adore it. We finished the main series and the movie and are now in the midst of Steven Universe Future.

It’s all this perfect mix of silliness, world building, action, and emotional depth. It’s also unique for being a regular ol’ kids’ cartoon that regularly addresses topics like puberty, queerness, and sex, either directly or metaphorically. It all adds up to a highly entertaining and soul-soothing experience. Plus great music!

So, since we’re almost done, does anyone have recommendations for a show that will fill this unique void when we’re done? We’re really gonna miss it.

Kipo maybe?

So here’s an unfair and weird thing about me: I have suuuuuch a hard time trying anything resembling anime. Looks like Kipo fits that bill. I may still give it a try.

I really don’t know why I have such an anti-anime bias. Maybe its more mainstream popularity came about just a little too late to hit me at the right age? That’s certainly true of Pokémon.

I can’t say I think Kipo looks like anime at all. Maybe “draws some influence from”, but. I also have been watching anime since I was like 11 or 12. 

I can see where the comment comes from, having never seen any of this show until now, when I googled the art. Like, to me it's unmistakably western animation but some of the character design clearly pulls from anime a little.

6 hours ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

I can’t say I think Kipo looks like anime at all. Maybe “draws some influence from”, but. I also have been watching anime since I was like 11 or 12. 

I think there's been a major wave of American animation that feels like it's anime-influenced because cartoons in America had an extremely rough run from the 70s all the way into the mid-00s. So for a lot of people the association of "cartoon with a serialized narrative" pivots immediately to anime. That's basically what Netflix has decided anime is. It's created a bit of a confusing situation with terminology because you gotta find a way to separate, say, Blood of Zeus from Big Mouth.

• Like 4

I find that people also generally shorten 'Animated series' to just Anime for ease of use, which again makes things confusing when trying to talk about it. Western Anime on the other hand rustles a lot of jimmies for a lot of anime fans, because of course it would.

I'm personally just happy that slowly but surely animation is becoming accepted in the west as more than just a vehicle to sell toys to impressionable kids, or just as pulpy kiddie stuff.

I think the discussion really started with TLA, at least from my perspective. And I can still remember all the "TLA is not *real* anime" whenever people talk about favourite anime and it invariably comes up.

6 hours ago, damshow said:

I think there's been a major wave of American animation that feels like it's anime-influenced because cartoons in America had an extremely rough run from the 70s all the way into the mid-00s. So for a lot of people the association of "cartoon with a serialized narrative" pivots immediately to anime. That's basically what Netflix has decided anime is. It's created a bit of a confusing situation with terminology because you gotta find a way to separate, say, Blood of Zeus from Big Mouth.

This isn't what you were speaking about at all, but my god, Blood of Zeus is super awful.