General Television Thread 2021

GhostMachine

I've been spending hours watching all the Muppet content on Disney+

I forgot how much I loved The Muppets

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lint said:

I've been spending hours watching all the Muppet content on Disney+

I forgot how much I loved The Muppets

So far I've watched Bruce Forsyth and Stallone of the classic series. I don't know what I was expecting but it holds up really well.

They're bringing back Party Down?! Fantastic!

Also, started watching Kim's Convenience a few days ago. Very fun show, Paul Sun-Hyung Lee is really, really great.

• Like 1

Bought an iPhone 12 Pro Max this week, so now I've got Apple TV+ for a year...

I binged Ted Lasso in a few hours. It's a perfectly fine show, but I don't get why everyone was going nuts for it. Sudeikis was great, of course, but I'm just kinda meh on the whole thing.

Mythic Quest is great, though. Tons of great talent in here - Charlotte Nicdao is the stand-out, you've got McElhenney, Danny Pudi, Ashly Burch (!!!!), David Hornsby, F. Murray Abraham, etc etc - and the "A Dark Quiet Death" episode is just fantastic.

Anything else on here worth checking out? I'm mildly interested in Tehran, but looking through the rest of their original shows nothing really jumps out at me. I'll watch Cherry next week when it's released (it IS free to stream, right? I've noticed most, if not all, of the movies on here you have to buy/rent).

On 06/03/2021 at 02:29, Owen said:

Also, started watching Kim's Convenience a few days ago. Very fun show, Paul Sun-Hyung Lee is really, really great.

It got cancelled today :( The current season (which has already been filmed) is going to be the last one. Heartbreaking. Zero closure then, huh. I'm not too sure how the current season will wrap things up, though, as I'm only halfway through season 3 as is... hmph.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Owen said:

It got cancelled today :( The current season (which has already been filmed) is going to be the last one. Heartbreaking. Zero closure then, huh. I'm not too sure how the current season will wrap things up, though, as I'm only halfway through season 3 as is... hmph.

NO! Fuck that shit, why is it that all the good shows always get cancelled before its time (I mean not all, but enough of them) :( 

• Like 1

On 07/03/2021 at 12:18, tristy said:

Bought an iPhone 12 Pro Max this week, so now I've got Apple TV+ for a year...

I binged Ted Lasso in a few hours. It's a perfectly fine show, but I don't get why everyone was going nuts for it. Sudeikis was great, of course, but I'm just kinda meh on the whole thing.

Mythic Quest is great, though. Tons of great talent in here - Charlotte Nicdao is the stand-out, you've got McElhenney, Danny Pudi, Ashly Burch (!!!!), David Hornsby, F. Murray Abraham, etc etc - and the "A Dark Quiet Death" episode is just fantastic.

I think enjoyment of both shows ultimately boils down to the same varying degree of earnestness that you either enjoy or you don't. Ted Lasso is a bit more obvious but also way more coherent in its execution. Mythic Quest tries similar things but in a way very much from the guys that created Always Sunny. 

It's pretty obvious which one is run by Bill Lawrence and which one is run by Rob McElhenney. 

Edited by livid

I've got two eps left of Ted Lasso and think it's okay. I think it takes a while to settle into what the show is; it's not really a comedy, more of a feel-good, light-hearted drama in my eyes. It also takes a little while to get over the portrayal of a football club, which is a bit all over the place. 

That said, with each ep that passes by, I feel myself being more won over by its charm. It's not the show I thought I was getting considering the hype, and I'm thrilled for the people who love it, but it's an easy thing to stick and switch off to. 

I've also got a couple of episodes left of The New Pope, which is as extravagant and decedent as you'd expect from Sorrentino. I don't think its hit the heights of The Young Pope yet, but the last two eps are deliciously poised.

Also been watching The Terror, after it finally landed on iPlayer. It's such a strange, beguiling show, which I both admire, but also still feel that 5 episodes in, hasn't fully gripped me. 

• Like 1

I'm in the first few episodes of S2 of The Crown, and what I'm really left wondering is what you Brits think about the show if you've watched it. Because, to me, as an American, the concept of a Queen or King is... weird, and all of the rules, like the divorce stuff, just seems really archaic. Obviously American politics is no stranger to the idea of religion in politics, but I was quite shocked to learn that the King/Queen is the leader of the Church as well (I'm assuming that's true and not something made up for the show?). Just in general, British politics fascinate me. America has our own legacy families, but the idea that all of these Kings and Queens are from one bloodline (right?) and rule over a nation is fascinating (if not a little scary).

But yeah I'm really curious about how others view this show, since most of the board is from the UK and probably already have opinions on the Queen, or Churchill, etc.

9 hours ago, tristy said:

I'm in the first few episodes of S2 of The Crown, and what I'm really left wondering is what you Brits think about the show if you've watched it. Because, to me, as an American, the concept of a Queen or King is... weird, and all of the rules, like the divorce stuff, just seems really archaic. Obviously American politics is no stranger to the idea of religion in politics, but I was quite shocked to learn that the King/Queen is the leader of the Church as well (I'm assuming that's true and not something made up for the show?). Just in general, British politics fascinate me. America has our own legacy families, but the idea that all of these Kings and Queens are from one bloodline (right?) and rule over a nation is fascinating (if not a little scary).

But yeah I'm really curious about how others view this show, since most of the board is from the UK and probably already have opinions on the Queen, or Churchill, etc.

I am near the end of season two at the moment and am really enjoying the show, think it's quite well put together and seeing events and happenings depicted that we learned about in school and such is interesting.

As far as the concept, it is just ingrained in our culture, and basically all of the main royals are like ubiquitous celebrities that everybody knows about. I've become much more anti-monarchy in the last few years than I ever was, I don't think we really need it but it brings a lot of money in tourism and in reality, aside from some weird conventions the Queen doesn't really do anything meaningful in terms of politics, or as far as I know the church either.

Our main church in Britain is the Church of England, which the sovereign is head of because it was literally created by Henry VIII because he wanted to divorce his first wife and marry Anne Boleyn, and the Catholic church forbade divorce at the time. So he broke Britain away and created his own church, made himself the head of it and did as he pleased. I reckon that religion and the church plays a much bigger general role in the lives of American people than it does ordinary Brits though, I might be wrong. That's just my outside observation, because religion seems baked into the fibre of the United States' very existence and meaning whereas that isn't so much the case in modern Britain.

A lot of the stuff depicted in The Crown is obviously covering the 50s and 60s (where we're up to anyway) and so things like divorce and getting actively involved in the government are not really things anymore. But yes, as a concept having a ruling monarchy is very odd and in the modern age many more people think it is pointless or just shouldn't be a thing, but we've all grown up with it as a thing so it isn't strange to us.

I am very keen to get to the stage where they're covering Princess Diana, because Diana was a huge looming presence over my childhood in British culture both before and after she died. So the way they portray all of that is very intriguing to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you! That was very informative. And like yourself, I’m excited to get to the Princess Diana season. It’s one of the reasons I started the show, actually.

so King Henry VIII created his own church because he wanted a divorce, and then down the line, they also went anti-divorce? That’s weird and kind of funny.

I do think we get hung up on "hey, monarchy is weird" too much in the UK, especially given that most of Scandinavia still have it whilst also having far better parliamentary democracies and standards of living. I'd quite happily have kings and queens forever if we weren't run by idiots.