England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

Jon Flanagan was unlucky that he got two serious injuries back to back which has basically fucked him up (he was never gonna be a world beater but it has set him back massively) 

He'd be lucky to be a starter in a Prem team now. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gazz said:

Doubt it.

This has always been England's problem though for years, decades even. We're absolute world beaters at every age group up to under 21's, then those players generally never get the proper opportunities to progress into top level first team football, they stagnate and we end up with a good to average senior team. If you look at the England squad from the 2013 tournament, there's only six players that you could argue have been given a fair crack at Premier League football (Dier, Ward-Prowse, Kane, Stones, Lascelles and Barkley) and four of them have gone on to become England regulars.

This team has reached a World Cup final, though. That should do some of them wonders, especially if they win. 

12 minutes ago, Adam said:

There's nothing quite like England v Scotland is there? I remember the Euro 2000 play off being the first international match I ever watched. Quite keen to see how Rashford and Livermore do today.

I love England vs Scotland. Probably my favourite fixture because there is nothing better than playing your neighbours as well as the history of the fixture. I still fondly remember beating the Jocks in Euro '96, the penalty save, the Gazza goal, the celebration and the look from Andy Goram to Gazza (who were team mates at the time) that silently said "Ye dare sae anything, I'll cut ye".

Big chance for Kane there

• Like 1

Aye this fixture is probably THE rivalry of international football as well.

Kane should have done a lot better, Lallana did very well. England look a bit timid at the moment, Hart looks quite shaky and I'm not sure that we know quite how to deal with Scotland's pressing. Robertson & Tierney will be dangerous all game at wing back.

41 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Scotland got a smash-and-grab victory here.

They'd deserve it at this stage. England look lacklustre.

Dier is awful, what is he in the team to do? Smalling has been really shaky as well. I at least have been impressed by Walker and Lallana, and Livermore has grown into the game more. Why is Rashford on corners? Does he take them for United? All being rubbish so far today.

I feel like the Hampden crowd is getting to the England players which isn't a good sign.

Absolutely amazing. The second is even better than the first, what a pair of goals.

England deserve everything they get. Been so timid, unwilling to take the game on. Frankly incompetent at the back and benign up front. Joe Hart, Chris Smalling and Eric Dier particularly need dropping immediately.