England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

In all seriousness, I think Gareth Southgate deserves the chance to build this team up in his own way, and take us to the World Cup. He's done a good job, I enjoyed our playing style tonight against a top team who are used to retaining the ball. The end isn't great but we can learn from it, I think there's a lot to be encouraged by.

On 13/11/2016 at 11:03, MDK said:

All of this talk about us being shit, but we've only lost 3 games since the '14 World Cup. 

I mean, we're not shit, we're not Lichenstein or something, but there's been very little in the team in the way of clinical finishing prior to Southgate taking over. We're significant underachievers, which is arguably worse than just being shit. Both us and Italy have really fallen by the wayside over the past decade or two, makes me wonder if there's a correlation since both were famous for their defensive style through the 90s, and our biggest problem has often been the lack of finishing too.

6 hours ago, Benji said:

I mean, we're not shit, we're not Lichenstein or something, but there's been very little in the team in the way of clinical finishing prior to Southgate taking over. We're significant underachievers, which is arguably worse than just being shit. Both us and Italy have really fallen by the wayside over the past decade or two, makes me wonder if there's a correlation since both were famous for their defensive style through the 90s, and our biggest problem has often been the lack of finishing too.

I don't think either nation's style of football has progressed enough with the times in the last decade or so. Frankly, we should have performed far better under Sven with that squad, it was superb right through the team, but it never quite materialised on the big stage.

Italy to their credit have won the World Cup and reached the European Championship Final in the last 10 years, but yes there may be something in that.

Personally I am getting extremely fed up of the wider population's desire to pull England down at every single opportunity. This Rooney story, what does it matter? How dare he go to a wedding after the Scotland game instead of staying in watching Eastenders and going to bed at 10. Load of crap.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Adam said:

Personally I am getting extremely fed up of the wider population's desire to pull England down at every single opportunity. This Rooney story, what does it matter? How dare he go to a wedding after the Scotland game instead of staying in watching Eastenders and going to bed at 10. Load of crap.

I didn't even hear about that. Sad state of affairs if that is news.

2 minutes ago, MDK said:

I didn't even hear about that. Sad state of affairs if that is news.

One guess which rag ran the story.

Sadly, other outlets then justify said rag by reporting on it and ultimately causing Rooney to "apologise" for his behaviour. What a load of tripe.

Just now, Adam said:

One guess which rag ran the story.

Sadly, other outlets then justify said rag by reporting on it and ultimately causing Rooney to "apologise" for his behaviour. What a load of tripe.

The Sun or Daily Mail?

He shouldn't have to apologise for going to a wedding for fucks sake. 

1 minute ago, MDK said:

The Sun or Daily Mail?

He shouldn't have to apologise for going to a wedding for fucks sake. 

Ding ding ding.

It even just got reported on the ITV Evening News. He's gone to a wedding, some sad twat has run to The Sun with a picture, and they've then gone "ROONEY STAYED OUT TIL 1AM AFTER THE GAME, THE BASTARD!"

(or words to that effect)

I'm sick to death of it. Everyone must always be pulled down to the ground, any way possible.

• Like 2