England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

There are some arguments for a break of some kind. However, I'd rather we didn't lose Boxing Day/New Year's Day games to accommodate it if it could be helped. Maybe give the teams the time off straight after the New Year's Day game? (2 weeks off and have the return game be the FA Cup 3rd round?).

I don't care if they have a break in January, as long as it doesn't interfere with the Boxing Day/New Year programs, like you say.

I also hate the early international breaks in the first few weeks of the season. I'd much prefer the opening couple of qualifiers to take place before the season starts, freeing up weeks for the domestic season in September and October, meaning a break could happen whenever they want one in January.

4 minutes ago, Baddar said:

I don't care if they have a break in January, as long as it doesn't interfere with the Boxing Day/New Year programs, like you say.

I also hate the early international breaks in the first few weeks of the season. I'd much prefer the opening couple of qualifiers to take place before the season starts, freeing up weeks for the domestic season in September and October, meaning a break could happen whenever they want one in January.

Just scrap the qualification altogether and just have the best teams in international competitions. Or a lottery.

It should change after the World Cup. With the UEFA Nations League - if we're among the top 12 teams in Europe at the time - we'll play four games against two of the other top 11 teams. I think this does leave a few international windows open with the Euro 2020 qualfying all taking place in the 2019-20 season.

Just now, MDK said:

Even better, FIFA just select the international teams that bring in the most money via sponsorship. I think that is a fair way to do it.

Ah, the Eurovision model.

I'm actually quite looking forward to the Nations League. The format is a bit funky, but not ridiculous and could lead to some interesting games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_UEFA_Nations_League

4 minutes ago, DFF said:

I'm actually quite looking forward to the Nations League. The format is a bit funky, but not ridiculous and could lead to some interesting games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_UEFA_Nations_League

I wish, for one comp at least, they would turn UEFA into a 55 team knockout competition like the FA Cup, with live draws and all. "Ball number 8, Hungary will be playing... ball number 46, Accrington Stanley... hang on, we've got the bags mixed up. Shit. That means Barnsley have a tricky away game against Sweden."

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Adam said:

Yeah, and I'm sorry but what do Danny Murphy, Martin Keown, Danny Mills, Dion Dublin, Jermaine Jenas, Lee Dixon, even Alan Shearer and all the rest know at all about a successful England team? None of them were in one, they were part of the same underachieving, exit in the Quarter Finals or earlier England that we're suffering with today.

Look at that list again, 8 games managerial experience between them. I want a genuinely decent manager to tell me that Rooney sat in midfield constantly slowing down potential counters and forcing passes that aren't on is a better option than putting Dier in and letting everyone else push up. Hell, Jonjo Shelvey could do that and he looks twice as hilarious as Rooney.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

this is my fav England moment, which is kind sad, but it was just so fucking glorious. 

"Beckham could raise the roof here with a goal...I don't believe it!" 

The 5-1 against Germany wasn't bad either. 

The 5-1 is one of my favourite England games simply because it was all Liverpool players scoring the goals. 

But yeh, Beckham against Greece or Owen against Argentina is the stand out moment. I'd be 7 during France 98 so seeing someone go on a run like that and score the way he did was amazing (especially cause he played for Liverpool)

41 minutes ago, Colly said:

Hell, Jonjo Shelvey could do that and he looks twice as hilarious as Rooney.

He isn't allowed to play during sunlight because of reflections.

37 minutes ago, Davidmarrio said:

The 5-1 is one of my favourite England games simply because it was all Liverpool players scoring the goals. 

I don't know if it is my memory playing tricks on me, but I seem to recall even Gary Neville styling on the Germans with a stepover or a spin or something.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baddar said:

Forget dropping Rooney. It's a winter break that's needed. England = World Champions then, for sure. <_<

4 hours ago, DFF said:

There are some arguments for a break of some kind. However, I'd rather we didn't lose Boxing Day/New Year's Day games to accommodate it if it could be helped. Maybe give the teams the time off straight after the New Year's Day game? (2 weeks off and have the return game be the FA Cup 3rd round?).

The current proposal on the table is for the top two leagues to have a winter break but they've said they won't touch Christmas and are planning on having it after FA Cup 3rd Round weekend.

2 minutes ago, Adam said:

The current proposal on the table is for the top two leagues to have a winter break but they've said they won't touch Christmas and are planning on having it after FA Cup 3rd Round weekend.

But wont they just moan about fixture congestion later in the season? 

Just don't play any domestic football at all, then we can win all the trophies.

I hate the fixture congestion bullshit with regards to the national team, it's like we pretend that most major European leagues don't also have 20 teams and a cup competition, while top players barely touch the league cup until the latter stages if even then.