England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

I think if Rooney is going to be on the pitch he might as well be played as a striker. And please, can we at least try going back to 4-4-2? I'll even accept 4-4-1-1.

And that non-goal that Walcott scored would have been a brave call from the linesman if he didn't flag it

• Like 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37271746

Allardyce added: "I think that he holds a lot more experience at international football than me as an international manager.

"Using his experience with a team, and playing as a team member, it's not for me to say where he's going to play.

"It's up to me to ask whether he's doing well in that position, and contributing.

"I must admit, he did play a little deeper than I thought he'd play today, but I was pleased with his performance."

"Wayne played wherever he wanted to. I can't stop Wayne playing there," said Allardyce.

:lol:

The FA wanted a Yes Man, they've got the biggest one of all.

Edited by therockbox
  • Like 3

I've always liked Allardyce but if he's going to say stuff like that, I don't want him as England manager. What on earth is that? Just let Rooney be the manager if he's going to be allowed to do whatever he likes.

I've never heard anything like it. Never before have I seen a manager say he's just letting the captain do whatever he likes. Not your job, Sam? I'm afraid it is exactly your job to tell the players where and how to play.

I try not to care too much because it's England, it's nothing new. But the longer that they fuck this up at the very top level - in the boardroom and the first team coaching/playing staff - the more the geniuses in suits will continue to try and fiddle with (see: ruin) the game at the level that I love. It isn't Donny Rovers, Leyton Orient and Notts County's fault that England are shit, but I'm sure they'll try and find a way to say that it is when we inevitably blow the 2018 World Cup in typical fashion.

• Like 2

Thing is, if Rooney is given a free role, and both he and the England team are playing well, there wouldn't be much of an issue, but yesterday they were pretty awful every time he dropped really deep. There was nobody filling in for him. It was the same at United under LVG. If he was a "striker", it was a wasted spot because he'd drop deep so often that we'd be short going forward. 

• Like 1

Baddar's pretty much correct. Rooney can be devastating - in the right system. Him dropping back would not be an issue if someone then moved forward to fill any potential gap. We have some fantastic attacking footballers playing at club level in this country, players that could fill those gaps. For whatever reason, it doesn't happen and it's going to be the biggest issue for England in an attacking sense until Rooney retires.

And then I suppose we'll need to find another United player to scapegoat for our lack of success internationally.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, therockbox said:

Rooney hasn't been devastating for a long, long time.

Exactly, when was the last time he was even the main threat at United? 2012?

Let's not turn this into a pissing contest between clubs either. Rooney isn't a scapegoat in my opinion, near enough the whole team has got it in the neck for our Euros disaster, whether rightly or not. Sterling is right up there as well, Walcott has been for a long time. Hart, Kane, Henderson...I could go on. I think most people acknowledge the problem is far more than just one player, but Rooney's role in this team is certainly one of the biggest issues and it doesn't look like it's going to be resolved any time soon.

• Like 1

I think Lallana was the only player close to be considered having a good game, and even then he was a bit headless chickeny.

• Like 2