England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

It's outrageous that he has gotten into the team with Kane, Sturridge, Rashford and Vardy to choose from up top. It's even worse that he was then played centre midfield to accommodate him with Henderson, Alli and Dier to choose from amongst others. 

• Like 1

I heard an interesting conversation about Rooney on a podcast last week. They were discussing how most writers and pundits who don't have a professional footballing background have spent the last couple of years and beyond talking about how Rooney shouldn't be in the team, whereas the ex-professional players have been insisting that he absolutely has to play.

Yeah, and I'm sorry but what do Danny Murphy, Martin Keown, Danny Mills, Dion Dublin, Jermaine Jenas, Lee Dixon, even Alan Shearer and all the rest know at all about a successful England team? None of them were in one, they were part of the same underachieving, exit in the Quarter Finals or earlier England that we're suffering with today.

I think it's also true that most journalists/writers have spent their careers analysing statistics and tactical trends, whereas the aforementioned ex-pros tend to walk into media careers because of their playing days and thus speak on the basis of gut feeling, rather than informed reasoning.

I've also been hearing people suggest that Rooney shouldn't be picked for the England team, but should still travel with the squad to lend his expertise. Granted, I've never been part of a professional football team, but what exactly would that accomplish? If he isn't adding anything meaningful on the pitch when he's captain, what use would he be as some sort of sage/cheerleader?

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Yeah, and I'm sorry but what do Danny Murphy, Martin Keown, Danny Mills, Dion Dublin, Jermaine Jenas, Lee Dixon, even Alan Shearer and all the rest know at all about a successful England team? None of them were in one, they were part of the same underachieving, exit in the Quarter Finals or earlier England that we're suffering with today.

Bloody young'uns :@

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

I think it's also true that most journalists/writers have spent their careers analysing statistics and tactical trends, whereas the aforementioned ex-pros tend to walk into media careers because of their playing days and thus speak on the basis of gut feeling, rather than informed reasoning.

I've also been hearing people suggest that Rooney shouldn't be picked for the England team, but should still travel with the squad to lend his expertise. Granted, I've never been part of a professional football team, but what exactly would that accomplish? If he isn't adding anything meaningful on the pitch when he's captain, what use would he be as some sort of sage/cheerleader?

I think it's just a general reluctance to accept that he maybe shouldn't be in the squad any more - or trying to be a reward for his service to the team. Unlike many of his peers, I can't say I've ever seen Rooney have a game for England where he's looked disinterested or lazy. He's definitely had bad games - and maybe more bad games than good, especially in recent years, but I don't think you could ever accuse Rooney of not trying, which may be where a lot of the reluctance to cut ties completely is coming from.

Just now, Adam said:

My first major tournament was Euro 2000, in which Alan Shearer played and we got knocked out in the group stage by Romania. So I'm right :shifty:

I feel for you. You never saw that build up to the goal against The Netherlands. You never saw that goal that the Dutch scored that meant The Jocks didn't get thru (Oh, happy days, thank you Kluivert), You never saw that save against The Jocks, and you never saw that wonderful goal against THE BLOODY KILT WEARERS. Oh, and the catharsis from Pearce when he scored that pen against the Spanish (my personal all time fave England moment. I remember that celebration/war dance. Still with me to this day). On the plus side you didn't see Gazza missing that goal by a cunt hair and Gareth Southgate missing that pen :<

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, MDK said:

I feel for you. You never saw that build up to the goal against The Netherlands. You never saw that goal that the Dutch scored that meant The Jocks didn't get thru (Oh, happy days, thank you Kluivert), You never saw that save against The Jocks, and you never saw that wonderful goal against THE BLOODY KILT WEARERS. Oh, and the catharsis from Pearce when he scored that pen against the Spanish (my personal all time fave England moment. I remember that celebration/war dance. Still with me to this day). On the plus side you didn't see Gazza missing that goal by a cunt hair and Gareth Southgate missing that pen :<

I mean, I have seen all those things since but I take your point. Hell, I don't even really get amped about Scotland losing because, aside from the Play Off that got us into those Euros back in 1999 we've barely ever played them and they haven't qualified for a single tournament!

I do have a vague recollection of the uproar over Becks getting sent off for that kick at Simeone in '98, but nothing before that.

That Greece game was Becks redemption. I've never seen a player give so much in a game. He was crossing it in and trying to get on the end of it, nobody else seemed to care... and that last nanosecond free kick? Sublime. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, MDK said:

That Greece game was Becks redemption. I've never seen a player give so much in a game. He was crossing it in and trying to get on the end of it, nobody else seemed to care... and that last nanosecond free kick? Sublime. 

this is my fav England moment, which is kind sad, but it was just so fucking glorious. 

"Beckham could raise the roof here with a goal...I don't believe it!" 

The 5-1 against Germany wasn't bad either. 

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

this is my fav England moment, which is kind sad, but it was just so fucking glorious. 

"Beckham could raise the roof here with a goal...I don't believe it!" 

The 5-1 against Germany wasn't bad either. 

Stuart Pearce scoring that pen against Spain and against Germany. The utter emotion coming out of him was incredible.

• Like 2