England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

What a difference 14 years makes.

On 05/06/2004 at 17:23, MDKingdom of Saudi Arabia said:

I was waiting for Vassell to get his hat-trick. I think we should bring him on with about 25 minutes to go and let him run against tired defenders when it comes to Euro '04

Shut up you mug.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PanamAdam said:

Darius Vassell, running!?

Leave it.

1 minute ago, Moses Julep said:

If you’re gonna quote old threads can you at least quote Dukes’s meltdown during WC 2006?

Give me time.

6 hours ago, Switzerlineker said:

There's a really good programme on BBC Two at 9pm tonight called Managing England: The Impossible Job. Well worth a watch.

I'm watching it on catch up on iPlayer (ruddy license fee, what use is it, eh?) and I realise how much I like Sven and Woy.

If you ever want an insight into how efficient the internal processes of the FA are, today I recieved my certificate for my level two qualification that I passed last September.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Something I've been wondering recently as they've been showing the 1990 World Cup semi final against West Germany a lot recently is that the England fans were all waving Union Jack flags and that was the norm before that. It seems the there was a sudden switch to the St Georges Cross at Euro 96. Does anyone know why? Was it planned? I've heard it was because it was in England, but so was the 1966 World Cup and I've also heard it's because we were in the same group as Scotland but we played Scotland loads of times before that.

Less so though, from my window I can see 3 St George's crosses (one brilliantly on an actual flagpole) and not one of them is a massive racist. Euro 96 made it so that normal people could actually fly one again. And of course now the Union Flag is the flag of knobheads, whether Farage or Rangers ultras...