England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

On 28/09/2018 at 23:22, Adam es Tranquilo said:

What's disgusting about it? They stop having to pay it off like they had been, the big games still will take place there. The money recouped from  the sale can be spent on areas that sorely need it like grassroots football too. Khan is a proven businessman in sport as well.

I saw a list yesterday of the top 30 teams in the FIFA rankings with the status of ownership of their national stadium. You can count on one hand how many are owned by the national FA and until a couple of decades ago England's FA had never owned Wembley either.

Looks like a good move to me.

Bit late to the party but the bit I find disgusting is that it cost £800m to build, approx. £1b in todays money, and it is being sold for £600m. Do I get a bit of that back since I helped pay for it?

Impressive considering the house and land prices in London.

And if that money actually makes it into grass roots football I will eat my own arse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Who the Christ is Mason Mount?

Chelsea player on loan at Derby. 

1 hour ago, MDK said:

Bit late to the party but the bit I find disgusting is that it cost £800m to build, approx. £1b in todays money, and it is being sold for £600m. Do I get a bit of that back since I helped pay for it?

Impressive considering the house and land prices in London.

And if that money actually makes it into grass roots football I will eat my own arse.

Is the lesser price not because they've been paying off the cost of building it for a decade now? 

Lovely image at the end there...but the money being invested in grassroots is what will dictate ultimately whether this was a good move by the FA or not. I hope they see that promise through.

32 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Is the lesser price not because they've been paying off the cost of building it for a decade now? 

Look dont baffle me with economics and shit because it confuses me and makes me a n g e r y.

5 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Lovely image at the end there...but the money being invested in grassroots is what will dictate ultimately whether this was a good move by the FA or not. I hope they see that promise through.

Isn't that logic a bit backwards? So if we'd paid it off in full, we'd give it away for free? 

I'm not against selling Wembley because why would we need to own our national stadium? Far better to sell it and still retain the rights tohave the right to play internationals there indefinitely and have cup finals there indefinitely than own it and try to make money back by having FA cup semis there and other games that draw 1/4 full stadiums

• Like 1

The Rice switch hasn't been confirmed yet but like Grealish before him, it'll be a big mistake if he switches. He'd be particularly snakey too considering he's played 3 senior games and sang the anthem etc.

His dad seemingly wants him to play for Ireland after being brought up in a heavily Irish environment. I know if I somehow end up with an English born son it'd kill me to see him play for England!

10 hours ago, TCO said:

His dad seemingly wants him to play for Ireland after being brought up in a heavily Irish environment. I know if I somehow end up with an English born son it'd kill me to see him play for England! 

He was born in England, played for Chelsea youth and made his debut for West Ham. He is completely Irish and I watched him nosh Le Blarney Stone with my own two eyes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MDK said:

He was born in England, played for Chelsea youth and made his debut for West Ham. He is completely Irish and I watched him nosh Le Blarney Stone with my own two eyes.

I was talking about his father being brought up by two Irish parents in London, not Declan Rice himself. I'd imagine his father instilled his Irishness hard in him as he clearly knew the words to the anthem which is entirely in Irish!

2 minutes ago, TCO said:

I was talking about his father being brought up by two Irish parents in London, not Declan Rice himself. I'd imagine his father instilled his Irishness hard in him as he clearly knew the words to the anthem which is entirely in Irish!

His father was so Irish he bestowed a very Irish surname to him.

• Admin

The Brighton defender Lewis Dunk has received a first call-up to the England squad for the Nations League double-header against Croatia and Spain. The 26-year-old signed a new contract with the Seagulls last week and has now toasted that landmark with a place in Gareth Southgate’s latest squad. Dunk is expected to take the place of Burnley’s James Tarkowski, who is an injury doubt.

Meanwhile Luke Shaw is a doubt for England because of a knock he suffered in Manchester United’s win over Newcastle United on Saturday. The left-back played all of the 3-2 victory at Old Trafford but it is understood he has a minor injury that may rule him out of Southgate’s squad.

Shaw has been in impressive form for United after finally establishing himself as first-choice under José Mourinho, having previously struggled to convince the manager of his worth.

Southgate’s players are due to meet up on Monday with their first match on Friday against Croatia at the Stadion HNK Rijeka, before they face Spain at the Estadion Benito de Villamarín in Sevilla the following Monday.

• 3 weeks later...

To be fair, he is England's and Man United's all-time top goalscorer and yet still doesn't get any real respect. 

He deserves a proper goodbye game. The way people and the media look at Rooney is bizarre. He was an amazing player and is still smashing it in the MLS at 33.

• Like 3