The Sir Alex Ferguson Thread (For Manager related news)

Baddar

Some managers, unfamiliar with the stadium, must accidentally walk into the wrong room at some point and the embarrassment just devastates their confidence for months and years thereafter.

1 hour ago, Tigerstyle said:

Lampard has absolutely zero shame

Fuck shame, he's managing his favourite club (again) for 2 months while getting paid well and with no challenging expectations to meet. Who the fuck cares?

Also it's been pointed out that his prior departure happened during the empty stadiums period and so fans never got to give him a goodbye. That'll be nice.

• Like 1

I don't really get the meme out of Lampard going in till the end of the season. 

Bar the Champions League what's the worst that can happen. They play Madrid so if they go out theres no shame.

The league season is just a case of there's so many games left we can't do anything really. 

It's someone who is loved by the fans rather than the last managers staff member so will keep people on side

And for Lampard it's a couple of months pay at a club he played at for a long time. 

• Like 4

I don't see it as a meme, I see it as a manager who's been sacked twice for failure (once at the same club) being brought in to do something at a "big 6" club. If the league is dead why not stick with the manager they've spent reportedly a fortune to take from Brighton and avoid the cost of sacking him and hiring someone else? Someone decent will be coming in summer regardless, so what's the point?

I get entirely why Lampard would take it given his reputation is pretty much nil anyway, but I struggle to see what Chelsea gain bar a daft nostalgia sticking plaster.

• Like 1

The rumour is that a clause in Potter's contract made it cheaper to sack him if Chelsea were in the bottom half of the table - hence him going the very day we slipped into 11th. I guess if they wanted him gone, waiting around until the end of the season only for us to potentially finish 10th and cost them a lot more is an unnecessary risk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/04/2023 at 21:38, Twist said:

Wait until he wins the UCL.

On 05/04/2023 at 21:42, Colly said:

Timing must be near identical to Di Matteo's is it?

Both times Chelsea won the Champions League, they were in Group E. This year? Also Group E. When they won the Europa League the first time? They came into the Europa League from Group E in the Champions League.

Group E = Chelsea win things.

Chelsea are clearly a club with no plan of what they are doing, not unlike Everton really.

As Colly says, why sack Potter just to put Lampard in as interim? I like Lampard, he did okay at Chelsea first time around as manager, and he genuinely was a primary factor in Everton surviving relegation last season, but he has been underwhelming overall and at this stage of the season, what can or will he do to galvanise the team?

The league is done, it'll take a hell of a run now to even make the top 6, and Potter at least showed he could get Chelsea through in Europe - he has experience from Ostersunds at this level too - so I don't see the point sacking Potter now without having a Nagelsmann or Pochettino lined up.

Lampard can happily trot Chelsea along to 8th or 9th and go down to gallant defeat against Real Madrid, but Potter could have done that himself.

57 minutes ago, Naitch said:

Fun fact: Roman Reigns has been the WWE Universal champion for the entire duration of Lampard's absence from Chelsea, plus a further 148 days.

Presuming that Roman doesn't lose the title before Chelsea get a different 'permanent' manager in the summer, he will have reigned through more consecutive Chelsea manager switches than any other WWF/E world champion (currently tied with Bob Backlund).

2 hours ago, Naitch said:

Fun fact: Roman Reigns has been the WWE Universal champion for the entire duration of Lampard's absence from Chelsea, plus a further 148 days.

Only 5 managers have been at their clubs longer than Reigns has been champion. Only Pep, Klopp, Thomas Frank, Moyes and Arteta have been at their clubs longer.

2 hours ago, Colly said:

How many Watford managers has he outlived? 

Six. And the first (Ivic) joined the same month his reign began.

Also, there have been 13 Watford managers since Klopp joined Liverpool. And in case you’re interested, the Watford board take the same approach to Udinese, where there has also been 13 managers in that same period.

Edited by Twist
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Twist said:

Six. And the first (Ivic) joined the same month his reign began.

Also, there have been 13 Watford managers since Klopp joined Liverpool. And in case you’re interested, the Watford board take the same approach to Udinese, where there has also been 13 managers in that same period.

The managerial history section on Udinese's Wikipedia isn't up to date because that's how often they change managers.

2 minutes ago, damhausen said:

The managerial history section on Udinese's Wikipedia isn't up to date because that's how often they change managers.

They’ve had 90 managers in the last 100 years.