EWB's Favorite TV Show 2021: The Voting Thread

GoGo Yubari

Previously, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2020:

better late than never, it's EWB's Favorite TV Show 2021! The Good Place won the last two years but now it's walked through that final doorway and is no longer eligible for selection, so we should almost certainly have a brand-new champion unless there's a very obvious former winner I'm forgetting. Exciting! Gosh! Here's the rules.

THE RULES:

1. You will be drafting a list of (up to) your top fifteen shows of the year. Voting, of course, goes like so; list the shows from 1 to 15, the show you listed at 1 gets fifteen points, the show you listed at 2 gets fourteen points, and so on. That being said, if you didn't watch fifteen TV shows (or fifteen TV shows you actually liked enough to vote for) feel free to just leave the rest of your ballot blank once you run out. That is totally valid! Ballots with one or two shows count just as much as ballots with all 15! It's free real estate!

2. This is a list for your favorite TV shows of 2021, and by that I mean that every show you vote for must have been airing new episodes in its country of origin. For example, multi-time list qualifier My Hero Academia aired new episodes in Japan this year so it's eligible! I would like to thank MHA for continually putting out a new season each year so I don't have to think up a new example.

3. That being said, I do want to insert this new formal rule here: if a show airs new episodes between now and December 31st and does not garner enough votes to make it into the list proper this year, it will remain eligible for next year. This is particularly relevant for The Witcher, but hypothetically if Hawkeye didn't get enough votes this time around the fact that it has one episode left to premiere means it would be fair game for next year's list.

4. Shows don't necessarily have to be scripted comedies or dramas. Reality TV, both competitive and non-competitive? Eligible! Drag Race gets in a lot! Documentaries? Eligible, but I really hope Tiger King doesn't get in again! News satire shows, like recent EWB's Favorite Show institution Last Week Tonight? Eligible!

5. But there is an exception; no wrestling shows. That stuff will all be in the wrestling awards, if there is one this year. That being said, shows like Heels or Dark Side of the Ring which are not wrestling shows but rather shows (scripted and documentary, respectively) about wrestling are in fact eligible for consideration.

6. And finally, you don't need to tell me you've edited your list up until I post saying that voting is closed, because that's when I'll start tallying everything. Then if you really, really want to make a change you should probably let me know, and I may or may not allow it. 

AND DON'T FORGET BEST NEW CHARACTER IF YOU'RE INTO THAT SORT OF THING: It's that fun side event that a couple people vote on every year, limited to characters who made their debuts as full-fledged characters on either a new or returning TV show this year! All you have to do is add something like "Best New Character: (character name)" at the end of your ballot for the new character you enjoyed the most this year! (And as a potential clarifier depending on how things go; portrayals of historical figures on fictional/scripted TV shows are fair game, actual real people on non-fictional shows like documentaries or reality TV will not.)

The past winners up to this point are: Bob Newby (Stranger Things), Nora West-Allen (The Flash), Robin Buckley (Stranger Things), Nadia Vulvokov (Russian Doll), Baby Yoda -- er, Grogu (The Mandalorian), and Catherine (The Great). Who will win this year? Will more than one character get multiple votes this year? Only your level of interest in this side thing can answer those questions!

This will be open until probably some point in early-to-mid January when hopefully my workload starts actually lightening up, so get voting between now and then!

I'm gonna have to use the Netflix/Prime account features where it shows you a log of what you watched, then try and remember anything from D+ too. 

I don't watch a lot of TV, so I don't have a large list to choose from. These are the ones that stick out in my mind. 

1. Chucky

2. Star Trek: Lower Decks

3. Creepshow (Shudder / AMC)

4. I Think You Should Leave

5. Survivor

The only reason I didn't post mine was because I knew it'd just merge with the main post and I needed to go to bed. So here's mine, with the caveat that it's definitely not finished in terms of positioning if I can find the time to catch up on stuff.

1. Hacks
2. Succession
3. Mythic Quest
4. The Great
5. Search Party
6. The Other Two
7. My Hero Academia
8. Mare of Easttown
9. What We Do in the Shadows 
10. Only Murders in the Building
11. Squid Game
12. Stargirl
13. Hawkeye
14. Girls5eva
15. Heels

Best New Character: Deborah Vance (Hacks)

(Honorable Mentions: Ava Sharpe, The Shade, Agatha Harkness, Han Min-yeo)

This won't be a final list will be edited once I remember some others more than likely 

1.) The Witcher

2.) Dopesick

3.)  Wandavision 

4.) Loki 

5) Hawkeye

6.) Sex Education

7.) The Wheel Of Time 

8  Its A Sin

9.)  Luicifer 

10.) You 

11.) Marvel What If 

12.)  Falcon and The Winter Soilder 

13.)  Star Wars: The Bad Batch 

14.) Elite

15.) Riverdale

Best new character: Agatha (Wandavision)

Ok done:

1. Taskmaster
  2. Taskmaster NZ
  3. We Are Lady Parts
  4. Only Murders in the Building
  5. Dark Side of the Ring
  6. Starstruck
  7. Ghosts
  8. Time
  9. Feel Good
  10. Vigil
  11. Mythic Quest
  12. AP Bio
  13. The Cleaner
  14. Ted Lasso
  15. Heels

Special mention: No More Jockeys. It's a YouTube series, and i think would pass all the tests for being a "television show", but for some reason I feel like it doesn't count cause it's free youtube only? But it's one of the best things to come out in the last couple years and I love it.

• Like 1

1. Succession
2. Mare of Easttown
3. Sex Education
4. It's A Sin
5. The Great
6. Time
7. Ted Lasso
8. Feel Good
9. Wandavision
10. Squid Game
11. Starstruck
12. Line of Duty
13. Staged
14. Loki
15. Brand New Cherry Flavour

Using COVID to catch up on TV, including Sex Education which continues to be great and Time, which is just really good British TV. Using this as a marker as hoping to do a bit more catching up - I would say this feels like a fairly weak year for TV in my opinion. I really need to finish The Underground Railroad.

I've had a hopeless year with TV, I think my watching habits have totally changed and I mostly watch YouTube channels now. I haven't seen a single one of the shows above 75% on Rotten Tomatoes, and the only thing mentioned in other Best Of 2021 lists I've read through that I've seen is Bo Burnham: Inside, and I'm not sure I'd want to vote for that.

Jimmy's list reminds me that I did watch the entirety of Line of Duty this year, but I'm not sure the latest season was really the strongest. Maybe I should try and get some things watched over the next week or two!

2 minutes ago, Adam said:

I've had a hopeless year with TV, I think my watching habits have totally changed and I mostly watch YouTube channels now. I haven't seen a single one of the shows above 75% on Rotten Tomatoes, and the only thing mentioned in other Best Of 2021 lists I've read through that I've seen is Bo Burnham: Inside, and I'm not sure I'd want to vote for that.

Jimmy's list reminds me that I did watch the entirety of Line of Duty this year, but I'm not sure the latest season was really the strongest. Maybe I should try and get some things watched over the next week or two!

Ha I did the same, and the final season was probably my least favourite, but it still delivered some good build-up before a so-so finale. If I'd been watching any other year, it would've definitely been a lot higher on my list, had a blast binging it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I would say this feels like a fairly weak year for TV in my opinion. I really need to finish The Underground Railroad.

Really? I've felt like it's been non stop bangers. Feels like a really strong year to me. Even just the terrestrial stuff has been amazing. This Way Up/We Are Lady Parts/Feel Good/Time/Starstruck.

• Like 1

1. What We Do in the Shadows

2. Midnight Mass

3. The Wheel of Time

4. Squid Game

5. WandaVision

I really thought I'd seen more than that. I checked several online databases to find out if I'd missed something, but apparently I hadn't. I don't consider Squid Game or WandaVision to be shows I particularly liked, but they'll simply get points by default.

1. Arcane: League of Legends (honestly surprised how good this was)

2. Squid Games

3. Witcher

4. Brooklyn 99

5. WandaVision

6. What We Do In The Shadows

7. Loki

8. Ted Lasso

9. Mythic Quest

10. Hawkeye

11. Falcon & The Winter Soldier

12. I think you should leave

13. Reservation Dogs

14. Mighty Ducks

15. What If

1. Succession
  2. Ted Lasso
  3. Feel Good
  4. Squid Game
  5. Taskmaster (NZ)
  6. Taskmaster
  7. POSE
  8. The Other Two
  9. Only Murderers In The Building
  10. WandaVision
  11. Arcane
  12. It's A Sin
  13. The Flight Attendant
  14. I Think You Should Leave
  15. Survivor

Honorable Mentions: Master of None, Mighty Ducks: Game Changers, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Young Rock

1. The Rookie

2. 9-1-1

3. Stargirl

4. Squid Game

5. Lucifer

6. Only Murders In The Building

7. Chicago Fire

8. The Connors

9. SWAT

10. Masked Singer

11. The Flash

12. FBI Most Wanted

13. Survivor

14. FBI 

15. Dancing With The Stars (would be higher if they got rid of Tyra Banks!)

Best new character: The Shade (Stargirl) 

Edited by GhostMachine

2 hours ago, damshow said:

I definitely have 15 shows but I also have a few weeks where I'm going to catch up on more shows and hopefully finally watch Mare of Easttown and maybe get current in Succession. So uh, yeah, bug me when I have 2-3 days left before you close voting.

Yeah I'm basically in the same boat. I need to catch up on some stuff that I neglected earlier in the year.