Games Wot I (or We) Complete in 2022

Liam

I've had it on my PS wishlist for awhile now. Hoping it drops to $20 in a sale so I can pick it up. I really wanted to play it when I saw a review by one of the youtubers I really like (who also got me into 13 Sentinels)

I do feel like it can be a bit repetitive, but that might also be because I was putting at least an hour into it every day for a couple of weeks. The fighting system is decent for the most part and it is challenging enough to make it feel that you've done well when you complete a chapter.

Beat Shining Force (Genesis Emulation) using a character randomizer. 

The game is divided into 8 chapters, with about 3 to 6 battles per chapter. And throughout the course of the game, you get about 30 characters, and you pick 11 of which will join your main character in battle. The game came out in like '92 or '93, so there's been a lot of theorycraft in the game over just which characters are optimal. Some can end up being absolute units, others would be units if you didn't get them so late in the game. The randomizer changes that. 

And it's more or less the same. Some early battles might be easier (not that they're tough to begin with) thanks to having a flier earlier than when you get them, but it wasn't anything earth shattering. 

• Like 1

On 14/04/2022 at 23:30, GoGo Yubari said:

I generally try to keep track of this in a draft in my gmail so here's what I've gotten to credits on thusfar in 2022:

1. Astro's Playroom. Fun little showcase of the PS5's new features, one of the best pack-in new console games in a good while. Very short, of course, so this was sort of a freebie.

2. Psychonauts. Started it in early fall and between heavy work and how absolutely frustrating some of the platforming was it took me about five months to actually complete it. Very much a game where how into the world I was managed to trump how unfun it was to play. Looking forward to playing Psychonauts 2, which from what I've heard keeps the great world/story but also nails the gameplay better!

3. Yakuza 3. Definitely the worst Yakuza game I've played but the other ones were the Kiwami games and Yakuza 0 so yeah, obviously the less thorough remaster was going to not be as good. But if that was the worst of the series, as I've heard, I'm definitely going to have a perfectly good time getting through the rest of it because I still enjoyed my time with 3 just fine. The story felt like a little perfunctory to be honest, unlike Kiwami/Kiwami 2/Yakuza 0 there weren't really loads and loads of crazy twists and turns, you could pretty much predict all of the big beats a mile away. Looking forward to getting to Yakuza 4 later on in the year.

4. Death's Door. Kind of felt like an isometric Hollow Knight to me, though with less customization. All the combat/boss fights are about movement and pattern recognition in a way that did feel fun, at some points frustrating but not in a "this is impossible" way. I do think other than the magic spells you can unlock that there wasn't really a strong feeling of progression with the way you incrementally make your character stronger, I could barely notice a change at times. Story is very good, a kind of deliberately sparse thing about death and its place in the overall life cycle, basically a "if you really want to delve into the nooks and crannies of this game there's a ton of worldbuilding for this world where crows work as like deputy grim reapers but you don't have to" thing. I got to credits and there's a whole slew of stuff post-credits but I only got up to a certain point via walkthroughs, I liked the game but didn't love it so much that I felt like I really wanted to scour the maps for torches to set on fire and stuff like that.

5. Nobody Saves the World. Basically has the energy of an '00s game that you'd play on a browser in flash, but also like one of the best ones of those you could stumble across. The story and the characters are absolutely nothing special at all, and way the game handles feels pretty stiff, but the core mechanic of the game works like gangbusters. Basically you can unlock various forms and those forms have further special abilities and buffs you can unlock and upgrade, and then you can basically mix-and-match those unlocked abilities with other base forms and there's enough of those and enough dungeons to play through that it always feels like you're progressing something. Just a very successful brain-turns-off game. I'll probably stop thinking about it entirely a month from now but as a thing I could jump into and kill half an hour at a time it was very good.

Up next is hopefully the FF7R DLC, unless I stumble headlong into another Game Pass game and get sucked up in it.

• Like 2

Just divided the Mafia remaster. Had played 2 and 3, and really liked both. Got around to this one and while I enjoyed the story, it's very linear which is a shame since it seems there's a pretty big world available. Makes sense a it's near a 20 year old game at this point. Story wise, I really liked it. Ending caught me by surprise as it actually did tie in the first and second game. 

Really gave Days Gone the old college try but really just couldn't maintain interest and will be scratching it off the list and moving on. Thinking of playing something light next, maybe finally trying to complete Maneater.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

Well doesn't this put my wasted life into context. 😅

Tbf, most of my gaming is done on consoles or League of Legends (which doesn't register on Steam). I also have a bad habit of not sticking with a single game for large periods of time. 

Diablo!

However, this is the first time I beat it using the Sorcerer. As a kid I didn't really have the patience to use the class. The ending fight was a bit anticlimactic, it was like "OH, so you like shooting fire at people, eh?" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Completed Detroit: Become Human on stream. Partial success but an excellent game.

Is that on YouTube anywhere to watch on demand or anything?

• Like 1

Elden Ring. 

What a game. The frustrating lows and the joyous highs make the game so enjoyable. Finally beating a boss after several attempts and progressing your character is just fun. Easy to lose hours into the game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krabby said:

Is that on YouTube anywhere to watch on demand or anything?

The play through is spread over numerous hour and a bit sessions. They'll be found in this collection: https://www.twitch.tv/collections/uJqGsYRFlBZ5pQ

The first Detroit video is here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1434156137?collection=uJqGsYRFlBZ5pQ

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

The play through is spread over numerous hour and a bit sessions. They'll be found in this collection: https://www.twitch.tv/collections/uJqGsYRFlBZ5pQ

The first Detroit video is here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1434156137?collection=uJqGsYRFlBZ5pQ

Awesome thanks! I will have to check those out, I've seen part of it but want to watch the whole thing. Love lets plays of those games!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Krabby said:

Awesome thanks! I will have to check those out, I've seen part of it but want to watch the whole thing. Love lets plays of those games!

I'm working through Heavy Rain at the moment, which has a lot of those similar decisions to make.

About to start Road 96 this week, definitely looking forward to that!

• Like 2