The 2023 NHL Thread

Toe

So, those more in the know about the NHL and the state of teams, are there any rumors out there about Utah getting a team? I know the Jazz's owner recently met with the NHL commissioner and he tweeted out that Utah getting an NHL team is "in motion." So, are we looking at an expansion team? Or a team relocating? What are the fans thoughts on a team coming to Utah?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pooker said:

So, those more in the know about the NHL and the state of teams, are there any rumors out there about Utah getting a team? I know the Jazz's owner recently met with the NHL commissioner and he tweeted out that Utah getting an NHL team is "in motion." So, are we looking at an expansion team? Or a team relocating? What are the fans thoughts on a team coming to Utah?

As it stands there's a ton of rumors the Coyotes will move, as they currently play in a college arena and can't get an arena plan in the Phoenix area squared away.

Houston has come up as a location, and obviously the NHL would love a team in the 4th largest city in the US. Salt Lake City definitely wouldn't be surprising, especially as it's growing.

Ottawa recently had its owner pass away and has a precarious arena situation as well, but doesn't feel as likely that they'll move anywhere. At least for right now.

Maybe more expansion is on the horizon, they had no trouble getting 2 more teams the last time around. Going for another 2 before the end of the decade wouldn't at all be surprising.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, damhausen said:

As it stands there's a ton of rumors the Coyotes will move, as they currently play in a college arena and can't get an arena plan in the Phoenix area squared away.

Houston has come up as a location, and obviously the NHL would love a team in the 4th largest city in the US. Salt Lake City definitely wouldn't be surprising, especially as it's growing.

Ottawa recently had its owner pass away and has a precarious arena situation as well, but doesn't feel as likely that they'll move anywhere. At least for right now.

Maybe more expansion is on the horizon, they had no trouble getting 2 more teams the last time around. Going for another 2 before the end of the decade wouldn't at all be surprising.

Nice, thanks for the information. Team wise, how good are Phoenix and Ottawa? Expansion would be awesome too, especially if we could do what the Las Vegas team did in their first couple of years.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pooker said:

Nice, thanks for the information. Team wise, how good are Phoenix and Ottawa? Expansion would be awesome too, especially if we could do what the Las Vegas team did in their first couple of years.

Ottawa is rebuilding, Arizona is also rebuilding but more of a "always rebuilding" situation. They've basically been bad forever with rare exceptions.

• Like 1

I won't go so far as to say that Darryl Sutter is entirely to blame for the Flames shit season, but I don't see their group winning under him after the way it went.

I do think that his best days as coach are behind him, if only because the players are different now. Beyond that, his need to play veterans over younger guys has historically been an issue with player development, but this season may have actually cost the current roster several points that could have been the difference in getting into the post-season.

I believe Brad Treliving did a great job as Flames GM, but when you call up a Pelletier to add some fire to the frontlines and he winds up in the press box in favor of a slower veteran with poor production, it shows a distinct lack of togetherness for the GM and the Coach.

It doesn't matter who gets the GM job as long as Darryl is coaching... unless they just double down and don't give him those veteran options with his roster.

I'd like to see Craig Conroy take GM, Mitch Love to coach the team and Dustin Wolf getting back-up duties next year. I also want the team to give the young guys some rope and see what they can do. Create a more lively environment that the players want to be in, and I believe that Huberdeau and Kadri will have major improvements to their play.

The Flames have fired Darryl Sutter.

Exit interviews from the players and Treliving's leaving seem to have been enough to convince ownership that they needed to move on after a year where they vetoed any coaching change in-season and looked to be running it back with Sutter.

Sutter is a great coach. Treliving did an admirable job as GM. On paper, the team is a solid one. Personalities just didn't jive and everything went to shit.

Now it's time to bring up Mitch Love to coach at the NHL level and see if we can get better out of the players under a coach who won't hesitate to play the young guys that he developed at the AHL level.

Vladar is likely easier to move due to contract stuff (money, term, no-trade's, etc), but I really don't care if it's Vlad or Markstrom who gets moved to make room for the rise of Dustin Wolf. Four straight goalie of the year awards, two of which at the highest level under the NHL. He needs to be playing for the Flames next season.

Ideally, for me, Markstrom asks for a change of scenery and we can shore up more cap space by moving him out. I'm comfortable thinking that a Wolf/Vladar tandem absolutely out-performs the Markstrom/Vladar tandem. Marky is a great leader though, so if it's Vladar who goes, it doesn't open as much space, but still gets The Wolfman up where he belongs and immediately upgrades the tandem.

I feel like the new coach has to be Mitch Love though. We've got guys on the final year of their deals that Tre wanted to be able to keep long-term, who weren't happy with their situation last year under Sutter and want to see what happens first. Give them a coach that can get the most out of them and create a positive environment and next summer won't be about scrambling to replace core guys again.

With the right person behind the bench, I believe strongly in the team that Treliving assembled.

• Like 1

Actually disgusting.

Anaheim comes second in both the Crosby and Bedard lotteries to failing big-market teams.

Nothing sus going on there...