Jump to content

Pro Wrestling Sim


IDOL
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is anyone else playing Pro Wrestling Sim on Steam? I purchased it yesterday after hearing about and following its development for a little while, and I have to say I am pretty impressed with it so far. There is already a budding modding community growing on its official Discord Server, with a number of mods from different time periods, complete graphic packs, and pretty awesome looking skins. It is not as robust or in-depth as TEW 2020 (which may be a good thing for some people) and plays like a sort of beefed up version of EWR. On top of that, the visual presentation of the game is beautiful and it works on both Mac OS and PC. 

I have been toying around with a TNA 2004 game and found a pretty nice skin to match the mod and it really ties things together nicely. 

Screen-Shot-2022-11-11-at-4-23-38-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2022-11-12-at-8-20-17-AM.png

 

Some of the differences between PWS and EWR/TEW that I'm a big fan of so far include:

A notepad complete with a number of formatting options. PWS' notepad feature looks more like Word/Wordpad than Notes which can be a lot handier to organize info.

Screen-Shot-2022-11-12-at-8-24-08-AM.png

Booking Angles is setup really well. One angle segment can be made up of multiple parts, or "beats" as PWS calls them. For instance, here I booked an interview with Mike Tenay interviewing Hulk Hogan (Beat 1, 7 mins) only for Jeff Jarrett to interrupt and have him and Hogan go back and forth on the microphone (Beat 2, 4 mins) before finally ending in a brawl (Beat 3, 3 mins) - This essentially ties together together what would be three different segments in TEW into one. It's a pretty cool way to go about it. Each match/segment can also be given custom names and description which makes it perfect for diary writing, as it stores the info you write there in the show history. 

Screen-Shot-2022-11-12-at-8-07-51-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2022-11-12-at-8-17-27-AM.png

 

Those are just a few notes so far. Here are a couple of screencaps of other PWS skins that totally transform the look of the game to match the time period you are playing:

lNzJFGT.png

Qa3WoUS.png

 

d4dwbLi.png

Sgws887.png

 

oQrkGKh.png

5PslYTN.png

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very nice visuals. TEW has always felt a little behind the times in terms of user interface, not as bare bones as EWR but very outdated compared to the likes of Football Manager, for example.

I'm very intrigued by the idea of story beats, it basically takes the clunkiness out of TEW's piece by piece booking and adds a storyboarding element to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I take it when booking matches/angles/whatever, I can set the time limit vs EWR's clunkier "11 slots, go"? 


And also, how's it work for signing talent? One big turnoff to me with TEW was waiting for guys to get back to me, whereas in EWR it's just signed right away. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't played it but might give it a look as I was wanting to get back into writing and this might be an easier and quicker solution for running through a game than TEW.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mick said:

I take it when booking matches/angles/whatever, I can set the time limit vs EWR's clunkier "11 slots, go"? 


And also, how's it work for signing talent? One big turnoff to me with TEW was waiting for guys to get back to me, whereas in EWR it's just signed right away. 

Yeah, all matches and segments are booked by minutes instead of a set number of slots/segments.

It seems like wrestlers are signed right away like EWR. I noticed Kazarian was missing from my roster while booking the PPV and was able to go to the wrestlers section, sign him and book him in the same night.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, IDOL said:

Yeah, all matches and segments are booked by minutes instead of a set number of slots/segments.

It seems like wrestlers are signed right away like EWR. I noticed Kazarian was missing from my roster while booking the PPV and was able to go to the wrestlers section, sign him and book him in the same night.

 

Nice. 

 

Is there a regional popularity thing? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Mick said:

 

Nice. 

 

Is there a regional popularity thing? 

Screen-Shot-2022-11-12-at-10-29-10-AM.pn

No regional popularity like TEW where there's individual levels within regions of the US, Canada, Mexico, etc... more broke down by continent

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Krabby said:

Are all of those from mods @IDOL ?

yeah, the base game comes with a bare bones fictional universe. 

ss_fdcba52eade5ba13b209bf6bf9ce8125c13d8

bethebooker.net hosts some mods here:

https://bethebooker.net/thread/757/pro-wrestling-simulator-download-index

But mainly, the Official Discord is your best place to find them. There are a bunch of skins in the mods-general channel, and gazwefc has an All American Wrestling Series listed where he has mods from 1989-2003 with graphics packs, plus other mods listed in the server.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, angeluzcr said:

Got me interested,I was thinking about buying TEW but the complexity of it may be too much for me,this seens easier.It's there a demo?

Not really, but there is the option to refund if you've played less than 2 hours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, TheWho87 said:

Not really, but there is the option to refund if you've played less than 2 hours.

Thanks, ifound some video tutorials about it on youtube.That might help me decide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Popularity not being broken down by region is going to make historical scenarios difficult to balance, I'd have thought, but if the game's focus is more on just running one of the larger promotions in a post-territory era, I suppose it would still work out okay.

Is that "wrestling skill" stat broken down into any smaller components under the dash, so to speak, or is that all there is? I can see the logic behind breaking out Entertainment and Wrestling Skill as the top-level stats, rather than having distinctions that are poorly described or hard to define ("Puroresu" being one that always annoyed me in TEW), but "Wrestling Skill" is surely even harder to quantify? 

 

EDIT: I'm reading through the reviews on Steam now, and will likely end up giving this a go. What seems promising is that there are fairly regular updates and new features, which, if they carry on post-Early Access, could see shape up to be a more fleshed out game than it currently looks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/11/2022 at 10:57, Skummy said:

Popularity not being broken down by region is going to make historical scenarios difficult to balance, I'd have thought, but if the game's focus is more on just running one of the larger promotions in a post-territory era, I suppose it would still work out okay.

Is that "wrestling skill" stat broken down into any smaller components under the dash, so to speak, or is that all there is? I can see the logic behind breaking out Entertainment and Wrestling Skill as the top-level stats, rather than having distinctions that are poorly described or hard to define ("Puroresu" being one that always annoyed me in TEW), but "Wrestling Skill" is surely even harder to quantify? 

 

EDIT: I'm reading through the reviews on Steam now, and will likely end up giving this a go. What seems promising is that there are fairly regular updates and new features, which, if they carry on post-Early Access, could see shape up to be a more fleshed out game than it currently looks.

“Wrestling skill” seems to be all there is as an average of brawling, technical and flying (I think that was what someone said on how it was calculated when converting from TEW files, not 100% sure)

I agree that it would be better served broken down a bit more into those skills 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, IDOL said:

“Wrestling skill” seems to be all there is as a average of brawling, technical and flying. I agree that it would be better served broken down a bit more into those skills 

Does the "wrestler style" play into anything 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah so the contract offers on this are all a bit shit. You can't change the amount you're offering as far as I can see and it doesn'tseem to matter what perks or card position you put on the contract, they'll accept it - which has led Rick Rude and Big John Studd to both sign 5 year deals to be enhancement talent in a 1991 WWF game.

 

EDIT: And you can literally make one match shows and suffer no penalties. I put on an episode of Prime Time Wrestling that was one 90 minute long match (Shawn Michaels v. Randy Savage) and it scored 80% and got popularity boosts for them both and the WWF.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ADG said:

Yeah so the contract offers on this are all a bit shit. You can't change the amount you're offering as far as I can see and it doesn'tseem to matter what perks or card position you put on the contract, they'll accept it - which has led Rick Rude and Big John Studd to both sign 5 year deals to be enhancement talent in a 1991 WWF game.

 

EDIT: And you can literally make one match shows and suffer no penalties. I put on an episode of Prime Time Wrestling that was one 90 minute long match (Shawn Michaels v. Randy Savage) and it scored 80% and got popularity boosts for them both and the WWF.

If you are on discord, definitely bring these points up. The developer has been very active since launch in working things out that are brought up

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/11/2022 at 22:25, IDOL said:

If you are on discord, definitely bring these points up. The developer has been very active since launch in working things out that are brought up

This. Don't play the game thinking it's a finished article, it's very much still in dev. It has a lot of potential. I'm mostly in love with how much faster and more efficient it's editor is over TEW 2020. I've often said TEW's biggest problem is the fact it's editor is so slow and unhelpful to scenario makers. You just have to look at how the amount of historic scenarios for each iteration has fallen off over the years. TEW is still miles ahead of it, but it's also a near finished article that's had twenty odd years to get there, it will always likely be number one, but there's always room for a healthy competitor to help show it where it could be even better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This may be me missing something, but is there a way to filter your roster by brand? And if not, does someone want to recommend it in their Discord? :shifty: Running a WWF/WWE game with 100+ people gets a little cluttered without being able to split up my RAW and SmackDown folk on my roster screen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. To learn more, see our Privacy Policy