Pro Wrestling Sim

IDOL

Is anyone else playing Pro Wrestling Sim on Steam? I purchased it yesterday after hearing about and following its development for a little while, and I have to say I am pretty impressed with it so far. There is already a budding modding community growing on its official Discord Server, with a number of mods from different time periods, complete graphic packs, and pretty awesome looking skins. It is not as robust or in-depth as TEW 2020 (which may be a good thing for some people) and plays like a sort of beefed up version of EWR. On top of that, the visual presentation of the game is beautiful and it works on both Mac OS and PC. 

I have been toying around with a TNA 2004 game and found a pretty nice skin to match the mod and it really ties things together nicely. 

Screen-Shot-2022-11-11-at-4-23-38-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2022-11-12-at-8-20-17-AM.png

Some of the differences between PWS and EWR/TEW that I'm a big fan of so far include:

A notepad complete with a number of formatting options. PWS' notepad feature looks more like Word/Wordpad than Notes which can be a lot handier to organize info.

Screen-Shot-2022-11-12-at-8-24-08-AM.png

Booking Angles is setup really well. One angle segment can be made up of multiple parts, or "beats" as PWS calls them. For instance, here I booked an interview with Mike Tenay interviewing Hulk Hogan (Beat 1, 7 mins) only for Jeff Jarrett to interrupt and have him and Hogan go back and forth on the microphone (Beat 2, 4 mins) before finally ending in a brawl (Beat 3, 3 mins) - This essentially ties together together what would be three different segments in TEW into one. It's a pretty cool way to go about it. Each match/segment can also be given custom names and description which makes it perfect for diary writing, as it stores the info you write there in the show history. 

Screen-Shot-2022-11-12-at-8-07-51-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2022-11-12-at-8-17-27-AM.png

Those are just a few notes so far. Here are a couple of screencaps of other PWS skins that totally transform the look of the game to match the time period you are playing:

lNzJFGT.png

Qa3WoUS.png

d4dwbLi.png

Sgws887.png

oQrkGKh.png

5PslYTN.png

• Like 7

Very nice visuals. TEW has always felt a little behind the times in terms of user interface, not as bare bones as EWR but very outdated compared to the likes of Football Manager, for example.

I'm very intrigued by the idea of story beats, it basically takes the clunkiness out of TEW's piece by piece booking and adds a storyboarding element to it.

I take it when booking matches/angles/whatever, I can set the time limit vs EWR's clunkier "11 slots, go"? 

And also, how's it work for signing talent? One big turnoff to me with TEW was waiting for guys to get back to me, whereas in EWR it's just signed right away. 

5 minutes ago, Mick said:

I take it when booking matches/angles/whatever, I can set the time limit vs EWR's clunkier "11 slots, go"? 

And also, how's it work for signing talent? One big turnoff to me with TEW was waiting for guys to get back to me, whereas in EWR it's just signed right away. 

Yeah, all matches and segments are booked by minutes instead of a set number of slots/segments.

It seems like wrestlers are signed right away like EWR. I noticed Kazarian was missing from my roster while booking the PPV and was able to go to the wrestlers section, sign him and book him in the same night.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, IDOL said:

Yeah, all matches and segments are booked by minutes instead of a set number of slots/segments.

It seems like wrestlers are signed right away like EWR. I noticed Kazarian was missing from my roster while booking the PPV and was able to go to the wrestlers section, sign him and book him in the same night.

Nice. 

Is there a regional popularity thing? 

32 minutes ago, Krabby said:

Are all of those from mods @IDOL ?

yeah, the base game comes with a bare bones fictional universe. 

ss_fdcba52eade5ba13b209bf6bf9ce8125c13d8

bethebooker.net hosts some mods here:

https://bethebooker.net/thread/757/pro-wrestling-simulator-download-index

But mainly, the Official Discord is your best place to find them. There are a bunch of skins in the mods-general channel, and gazwefc has an All American Wrestling Series listed where he has mods from 1989-2003 with graphics packs, plus other mods listed in the server.

• Like 1

Popularity not being broken down by region is going to make historical scenarios difficult to balance, I'd have thought, but if the game's focus is more on just running one of the larger promotions in a post-territory era, I suppose it would still work out okay.

Is that "wrestling skill" stat broken down into any smaller components under the dash, so to speak, or is that all there is? I can see the logic behind breaking out Entertainment and Wrestling Skill as the top-level stats, rather than having distinctions that are poorly described or hard to define ("Puroresu" being one that always annoyed me in TEW), but "Wrestling Skill" is surely even harder to quantify? 

EDIT: I'm reading through the reviews on Steam now, and will likely end up giving this a go. What seems promising is that there are fairly regular updates and new features, which, if they carry on post-Early Access, could see shape up to be a more fleshed out game than it currently looks.

• Like 2

On 14/11/2022 at 10:57, Skummy said:

Popularity not being broken down by region is going to make historical scenarios difficult to balance, I'd have thought, but if the game's focus is more on just running one of the larger promotions in a post-territory era, I suppose it would still work out okay.

Is that "wrestling skill" stat broken down into any smaller components under the dash, so to speak, or is that all there is? I can see the logic behind breaking out Entertainment and Wrestling Skill as the top-level stats, rather than having distinctions that are poorly described or hard to define ("Puroresu" being one that always annoyed me in TEW), but "Wrestling Skill" is surely even harder to quantify? 

EDIT: I'm reading through the reviews on Steam now, and will likely end up giving this a go. What seems promising is that there are fairly regular updates and new features, which, if they carry on post-Early Access, could see shape up to be a more fleshed out game than it currently looks.

“Wrestling skill” seems to be all there is as an average of brawling, technical and flying (I think that was what someone said on how it was calculated when converting from TEW files, not 100% sure)

I agree that it would be better served broken down a bit more into those skills 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IDOL said:

“Wrestling skill” seems to be all there is as a average of brawling, technical and flying. I agree that it would be better served broken down a bit more into those skills 

Does the "wrestler style" play into anything 

Yeah so the contract offers on this are all a bit shit. You can't change the amount you're offering as far as I can see and it doesn'tseem to matter what perks or card position you put on the contract, they'll accept it - which has led Rick Rude and Big John Studd to both sign 5 year deals to be enhancement talent in a 1991 WWF game.

EDIT: And you can literally make one match shows and suffer no penalties. I put on an episode of Prime Time Wrestling that was one 90 minute long match (Shawn Michaels v. Randy Savage) and it scored 80% and got popularity boosts for them both and the WWF.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ADG said:

Yeah so the contract offers on this are all a bit shit. You can't change the amount you're offering as far as I can see and it doesn'tseem to matter what perks or card position you put on the contract, they'll accept it - which has led Rick Rude and Big John Studd to both sign 5 year deals to be enhancement talent in a 1991 WWF game.

EDIT: And you can literally make one match shows and suffer no penalties. I put on an episode of Prime Time Wrestling that was one 90 minute long match (Shawn Michaels v. Randy Savage) and it scored 80% and got popularity boosts for them both and the WWF.

If you are on discord, definitely bring these points up. The developer has been very active since launch in working things out that are brought up