Pro Wrestling Sim

IDOL

4 hours ago, Benji said:

I in particular love the grades for body condition, it makes it much clearer that a particular body part is in a state of degradation than trying to decide if 70 is okay, but 69 (nice) is clearly troubling. Would love for them to add custom grade images like TEW used to have. Letting people add stuff like stars to their grades with custom skins was a cool little thing.

Compared to EWR/TEW, where the skins are built with a series of image files, the skins for PWS seem to be more like building the CSS/skin of a website, I don't think you can replace things with other images, but it has been confirmed that the grades will be editable in an upcoming update, likely after the one that adds it.

There has also been an update with the grades, they look a lot better, as well as an option to add the colour system to the current blue rating bars.

Spoiler

Isbfm3D.pngZjv6oz0.png

• Like 3

I really like the system that is place that obfuscates the "true" value of a match until your production levels are higher. I don't know if I love that they have to be entirely at the max before you get the 'true' value, but regardless it's something that's on the right track.

It means I can run a 2011 scenario, run an indy promotion and put on some matches that the crowd 100% loves, have it be rated low (because we're using barebones) and the game tells me that if this match took place with full production values in place, it would have been rated ____ instead.

As said, the system still needs some tweaking but I like being able to book the promotion how I should instead of having to min/max to be seen as successful. It takes a bit of rewiring your brain to go "oh shit, a 44% is actually a great result for that segment" but you DO still get to see that the workers and your promotion rose in popularity due to said segment.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Skummy said:

There's a lot around the stats that I think has been historically misunderstood - in the early days of EWR I remember someone thinking that the "Speed" stat literally meant how fast a wrestler was, and there were countless arguments along the lines of "Kane just did a Hurracanrana, increase his Speed stat", because people were interpreting it in terms of a pretty narrow list of moves or characteristics, rather than "how good is this wrestler at performing in a speed-based match".

But then you're left to interpret what a "speed-based", "brawl-based" or "technical-based" match is, and, in TEW, when "brawling" becomes "hardcore", where "Puro" comes in, and where "flashiness" comes in - what does a wrestler with really good aerial skills but zero "flash" look like? Some of it is a lot more intuitive than others. One of the reasons I've never got on with GM Mode in WWE games is that a lot of these things are very narrowly defined and rigidly constrained - certain "styles" of wrestler work well together and others don't, and certain matches are only going to work for a certain style; but there's no reason two brawlers can't have a great Ladder match, it would just look very different to a ladder match between two high-flyers.

I think anything that moves away from just mimicking EWR/TEW's approach to stats is a good thing in terms of making other games stand out, and offer something different. I'm not sure if the balance is right here - perhaps Wrestling Skill, Entertainment and Psychology are a little too broad, and Agenting being a skill in its own right feels unnecessary, and also a bit of a cheat code in a way; I'd rather have to take a gamble on whether someone's likely to be a good agent based on the balance of their other stats, and it's unlikely that someone with a really strong grasp of Psychology and Skill could also have low stats as an Agent, in my opinion.

To the list of stats above, I would maybe consider breaking out "Entertainment" into some sub-categories, though that might be broken down elsewhere. I'd want Consistency added, and I've been arguing for a while that TEW should have a Creativity stat, so would like that included here as well. 

I've not seen enough from this game yet to make me want to play it, and I think it is still maybe using the language of EWR and TEW a little too much to feel like it has enough of its own identity to stand out for me, but I'm keeping an eye on it all the same.

With regard to 'agenting', the way the game is set up you don't select an agent for each match (at least that I've seen, I might have missed it but I don't think I have).

Instead you hire workers as 'Staff' and their agenting skill contributes to the backstage morale in the company. So you'll get a boost for having staff members with high agenting skill.

• 3 weeks later...

So now that I've gotten the game and had a little time to sit and play it, I am enjoying it for the most part! But, uh... Just a quick question. 

What are people's suggested scenarios? Someone sent me a gigantic mega pack of a ton of AAW scenarios, and they're okay, but they kind of uh... They kind of feel like the old EWR RaveX databases, if you know what I mean. Is there some other good scenarios I should be looking for, or is AAW the standard?

On 31/08/2023 at 21:39, Sean O'Game said:

So now that I've gotten the game and had a little time to sit and play it, I am enjoying it for the most part! But, uh... Just a quick question. 

What are people's suggested scenarios? Someone sent me a gigantic mega pack of a ton of AAW scenarios, and they're okay, but they kind of uh... They kind of feel like the old EWR RaveX databases, if you know what I mean. Is there some other good scenarios I should be looking for, or is AAW the standard?

If it's not on the workshop, I'd suggest looking over on BetheBooker, although any mod from 88-03 by gazwefc would be in that mega download of AAW. BasicThuganomics Compactverse and Herd85's mods are good options. I think there is a "live" mod on the workshop by gazwefc that is literally updated daily if you want really current.

https://bethebooker.net/thread/757/pro-wrestling-sim-download-index

Can someone give me the elevator pitch for this game? Admittedly, it's probably been 20 years since I played EWR, but I love the idea of this. What sets it apart? How easy is it to install the mods? I'd want to have a modern database, is that easy to obtain and install?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zero said:

Can someone give me the elevator pitch for this game? Admittedly, it's probably been 20 years since I played EWR, but I love the idea of this. What sets it apart? How easy is it to install the mods? I'd want to have a modern database, is that easy to obtain and install?

Best way to put it is that it fits between EWR and TEW, it's not as simplified as EWR and not as complex as TEW, in short take EWR and add seeing other promotions results, an expanded game world, being able to book a show to length rather than set segments and better graphic options than EWR and TEW as it allows the PNG format, those kind of features.

Installing mods the old way is basically the same as EWR and TEW of downloading the files and putting them in the right folders, you have options on the game start screen that will open the correct folders needed, and that's the hard way, the game has steam workshop support so you can just follow the mod you want in the workshop and it will automatically install everything, including the graphics and will update when the mod gets updated, the workshop is a bit sparse right now but there is a modern "live" database that is updated nearly daily, as well as mods for 1988, 1998, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2016, , and if you don't want it to get updated you can choose to download the mod to your PC through the workshop section in game.

It's bigget drawback is that it's still in eary access, so there is a lot of bugs and issues present, but for the most part it's totally playable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Krabby said:

@TheWho87 

1. What kind of issues are there, in general?

2. How good is the 2016 database and does it start at the brand split?

1) Nothing that should majorly impact playing it, some of the recent stuff brought up in the bug thread was things like AI booking the main event twice and tag champs listed for one person instead of two, so nothing major, it's more to take note that it is still a work in progress, and it gets updated 1-2 times a month.

2) As for databases, I haven't played too many myself so can't really comment, did install it and it starts January 1st.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Benji said:

That's awesome. Any idea what AI he's using for the people?

It's in the AI thread here

For the logos he has been using https://www.bing.com/create (When you create an image, click on it and you'll have the option to download the larger image)
And for the people he has been using https://dezgo.com/txt2img

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

Is anyone still playing this? If so what is the state of the current game? I've been looking at it and think it looks really nice. It looks a lot less tedious than TEW can be?

EDIT: Also what would be the best current day mod?

1 hour ago, RazorsEdge said:

Is anyone still playing this? If so what is the state of the current game? I've been looking at it and think it looks really nice. It looks a lot less tedious than TEW can be?

EDIT: Also what would be the best current day mod?

I booked a segment :shifty: