General Television Thread 2023

On 02/01/2023 at 12:00, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Lots of new TV to start off the year.

Started watching Kaleidescope. Interested how much of a difference people got between episode orders.

Paul T. Goldman seems pretty fun. 

How is it? I added it to my 'to watch' list after the trailer. 

2 minutes ago, Kazuma KiRuki said:

How is it? I added it to my 'to watch' list after the trailer. 

I would say to find a recommended watch order. I felt like the first episode I watched (Orange) was not a very good start but having re-started and going alphabetical (for podcasting purposes) that episode worked much better as the 3rd one instead.

https://www.vulture.com/article/netflix-kaleidoscope-episodes-best-chronological-order.html

Mrs. Krabby and I finished The Midnight Club; it was good - there was a LOT to like about it, but some of the story beats felt underwhelming. I understand they had eyes on a second season but even so, felt like they dropped the ball some. But overall a high quality series with some fun despite the somber premise.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Krabby said:

Mrs. Krabby and I finished The Midnight Club; it was good - there was a LOT to like about it, but some of the story beats felt underwhelming. I understand they had eyes on a second season but even so, felt like they dropped the ball some. But overall a high quality series with some fun despite the somber premise.

My feelings were quite similar to this. I understand that the stories the characters tell offer some extra details about their backstories and personalities, but the format meant that it was very hit-and-miss. The overarching story was mostly predictable, I thought, and while that isn't a problem in and of itself, the twists were particularly obviously telegraphed.

Episode 7 was the high point of the series, in my opinion. I'm a bit fed up of the "rude and insulting character is actually quite nice really" trope, but that narrative arc was well done.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2023 at 20:18, K said:

lol netflix cancelled 1899 already. swear that show was only five minutes old and everyone loved it. i was gonna watch it this week, won't bother now.

This is why I refuse to watch Netflix originals now. They went from the company that gave cancelled shows a second chance, to cancelling everything that isn't an instant hit.  The Netflix Original tag went from HBO level excitement and quality tag, to being any old shite that could be cancelled in a moment's notice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Benji said:

This is why I refuse to watch Netflix originals now. They went from the company that gave cancelled shows a second chance, to cancelling everything that isn't an instant hit.  The Netflix Original tag went from HBO level excitement and quality tag, to being any old shite that could be cancelled in a moment's notice.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/1899-canceled-at-netflix-why-season-2-isnt-moving-forward/

According to this, only 32% of the people who watched episode 1 completed the series.  I'm sorry but if any show, either streaming or traditional media, lost about 2/3rd of its audience, it wouldn't be long for the world

• Like 2

Finished off The Umbrella Academy season 3 today. I really enjoyed it. Can't wait for next season.

Spoiler

I also really loved how they treated Vanya's transition into Viktor, as well. All the siblings were like "Okay, you're Viktor now, that's cool - we still love you the same." Just great to see someone figuring out who they really are being treated like that.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Krabby said:

Mike Flanagan did a post about what he had planned for Season 2 after it got cancelled.

https://deadline.com/2022/12/the-midnight-club-netflix-cancelled-season-2-plot-mike-flanagan-1235187262/

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Mike Flanagan did a post about what he had planned for Season 2 after it got cancelled.

https://deadline.com/2022/12/the-midnight-club-netflix-cancelled-season-2-plot-mike-flanagan-1235187262/

I did see that but thank you! It was an interesting read, you could feel the disappointment in that blog. I'm glad he wrote that though, some of the stuff that didnt get addressed did so thankful for that as a fan

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lint said:

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/1899-canceled-at-netflix-why-season-2-isnt-moving-forward/

According to this, only 32% of the people who watched episode 1 completed the series.  I'm sorry but if any show, either streaming or traditional media, lost about 2/3rd of its audience, it wouldn't be long for the world

The problem I have with that, is 1899 dropped in November. So 68% of the people who started watching it, did not complete the series.

What's the percentage of people who have it on their list, but hadn't had a chance to watch it yet?

Maybe instead of cancelling shows that quickly, you put them on the back burner for a bit. You don't commit to a second season until numbers improve, but you don't just outright cancel it either.

I've said it before, but the sheer volume of content available means that you cannot be reacting that quickly to trends. There is plenty of shit that sits on my list for months, years even, before I get around to watching it... and then I absolutely fall in love with it.

Full disclosure, I don't even know what 1899 is, but it's the example being used, so I went and found out that it's only been available for two months and already been axed.

• Like 3

I really hate that I can't go back and watch Smallville. Yes, it was dumb CW drama and wasn't the height of TV, but it was dumb fun and a good interpretation of the Superman mythos for the most part. Probably the last one that felt genuine to how Superman should be. Stupid Chloe and Lana actresses being gross sex traffickers makes it impossible for me to rewatch, especially since Chloe was my favourite.

• Like 2

On 05/01/2023 at 19:19, Gabriel said:

The problem I have with that, is 1899 dropped in November. So 68% of the people who started watching it, did not complete the series.

What's the percentage of people who have it on their list, but hadn't had a chance to watch it yet?

Maybe instead of cancelling shows that quickly, you put them on the back burner for a bit. You don't commit to a second season until numbers improve, but you don't just outright cancel it either.

I've said it before, but the sheer volume of content available means that you cannot be reacting that quickly to trends. There is plenty of shit that sits on my list for months, years even, before I get around to watching it... and then I absolutely fall in love with it.

Full disclosure, I don't even know what 1899 is, but it's the example being used, so I went and found out that it's only been available for two months and already been axed.

Aye I agree fully. It was on my list but like, I'm a married man with a job. I got shit to do. I'm watching The Traitors, the swedish language Netflix show about Spotify, some graps here and there, there were a bunch of Christmas specials over the last month to watch. I can't be expected to jump right on a show the second it comes out. I think it's a problem with virality. Stuff isn't seen as worthy unless it's generating memes and getting picked up in the casual press, like Squid Game shit you know.

I know Netflix has done cost benefit analyses and they've worked out it's better for business to cancel shows early, and focus more and more on cheap reality shows and shit, I get it. It's better for business, but i don't think it's better for the industry. It's a real race to the bottom. It's why I get angry when the british government talks about privatizing the TV stations back home. Sure Netflix is successful, but is it... good? 

• Like 4

Honestly, I don't even mind them cancelling so long as they get given a proper ending. Give these shows a film or mini to wrap up. It means people are more likely to watch them later. I don't even give shots to shows that don't have an ending. Carnivale is one of the most raved about shows ever, but I've never watched it because I know it doesn't have a satisfying conclusion. If they're so concerned about giving single seasons to things, make more single season anthology shows.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Benji said:

Honestly, I don't even mind them cancelling so long as they get given a proper ending. Give these shows a film or mini to wrap up. It means people are more likely to watch them later. I don't even give shots to shows that don't have an ending. Carnivale is one of the most raved about shows ever, but I've never watched it because I know it doesn't have a satisfying conclusion. If they're so concerned about giving single seasons to things, make more single season anthology shows.

oh 100%. Like Maniac was amazing. One season, big stars, in and out. done.