General Television Thread 2023

‘Reboot’ Canceled After One Season at Hulu

Damn, this actually kinda sucks.  Show was really enjoyable

On 28/01/2023 at 07:15, Lint said:

Think it was episode 4 or 5 that the show finally really clicked for me.  I thought it was just OK before that, but yea, the relationship between Stede and Blackbeard really upped the show

Yeah, started getting there with them and I'm sold by end of episode 7. Great stuff.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Lint said:

‘Reboot’ Canceled After One Season at Hulu

Damn, this actually kinda sucks.  Show was really enjoyable

Yeah, I'm bummed out about this one. First season already felt like it ended abruptly, too. Was an incredibly strong cast, maybe so strong that not getting "big hit" numbers did it in.

5 hours ago, K said:

Just finished the Traitors AU. Very different vibe from the UK version. Way more tactical. I think the challenges weren't as interesting, but the metagame was much more nuanced.

I didn't like the American version nearly as much, largely because I found almost every single contestant incredibly annoying.

Going with people who had prior reality TV experience was an interesting choice, but one that feels like it could have been saved for a future series rather than right off the bat - in series one, no one really knows what to expect yet, whereas the reality TV angle could have added a twist for a subsequent series when people go in thinking they've got it figured out. As it was, it was as if the entire series was made up of that magician prick from the UK version.

What really annoyed me throughout was people constantly talking about trustworthy someone was, or how "she wouldn't play us like that", as if they weren't all playing a game called Traitors. It doesn't matter how nice someone is, or how much you're mates, you're all playing the same sodding game. 

We watched and liked the US version too but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the UK one, and yes, so many of them were annoying.

Failure to grasp what the game was about when it came to "trust" irked me in both versions tbh. You may become very good friends with a traitor but that doesn't make them any less of a person for not completely outing themselves and killing the whole point of it.

7 hours ago, K said:

i havent seen the US version, they dont have a great track record for adaptations so I didn't bother. Try the AU one if you can find it.

The US version was.....okay. But all the people I liked were gone by the halfway point, and

Spoiler

one of the traitors got himself eliminated by being stupid.

Strong finale for Happy Valley. Thought it was a bit more nuanced than some other shows would have gone for. 

The final episodes of the first US run were taped in 2003, though they slowly released "new" episodes into 2007 with previously unreleased stuff.  But a lot of people my age in particular really loved that run and were pining for it to come back for years.

I remember being so excited when it came back in 2013.  Admittedly though, the nostalgia blast wore out kinda quickly for me and I didn't watch much, especially when they kept trying to awkwardly shoehorn celebrities into every episode.

Still, kudos for getting another decade out of a show that had been dormant for so long.

19 hours ago, DFF said:

Strong finale for Happy Valley. Thought it was a bit more nuanced than some other shows would have gone for. 

I had no idea there was a third series??? Wasn't series two like ten years ago??

Really enjoying Lockwood & Co. on Netflix. Really solid YA spooky thriller/mystery. Elements of Buffy, Supernatural, and a hint of Ghostbusters, but very much a British show at the same time. 

• Like 1