General Television Thread 2023

I finished watching The Bear and was a little disappointed after all the rave reviews. Performances were good but felt the storyline didn't go anywhere, and wasn't too convinced by it being set in apparently the most stressful sandwich shop in all of Chicago (that also has like 20 members of staff?)

I will give the first few episodes of the next series a whirl as I am hopeful it does improve.

Girlfriend is enjoying Marie Antoinette, which was written by one of the people who did The Favourite with Olivia Coleman. We're about halfway through, and seems a straightforward period drama tbh. I hope for a little more surrealism or farce as The Favourite had. I also expected the interpersonal relationships, factions and politics to be a bit more tense, and it's kinda faltered on that.

Also about halfway through the first series of Search Party and I am liking it! Really funny and love how the characters interact with each other. I could do without one side character having some sort of mental breakdown in each episode though. Like, you can pinpoint the exact moment a cameo turns into someone yelling. 

• Like 1

‘Reboot’ Officially Dead Following Search For New Home

Well I think this fucking sucks.  One of the few new sitcoms I actually liked

• Sad 2

Yeah, I'm really disappointed. Wonder if the cast was too relatively stacked for it to be worth it for other services. Not that it's like huge stars but pretty much anyone out of the top five billed actors on it are recognizable enough to be sitcom leads, so it was pretty much only boom or bust for it. Shame it didn't land on Apple, that's probably the one streaming service that I could have seen it fitting in well on and they're still in the "let's renew anything halfway good/popular" honeymoon phase.

What do y'all think about the Velma show? What fascinates me about the backlash is how much people suddenly seem to care deeply about Scooby Doo. Judging by the reactions, you'd think that it was this beloved, high prestige franchise and every new iteration is a celebrated masterpiece that now has been ruined by Velma and not a franchise that has been notoriously inconsistent and mainly serves as a source for direct-to-DVD drivel in recent years (there have been 19 direct-to-dvd movies since 2013).

I'm not saying the new show good. It is quite terrible. But at the end of the day, It is just another bad entry for the Scooby Doo franchise. It's not the first and it probably won't be the last. It is not worth being outraged about.

I do feel bad for Mindy Kaling though who gets all the blame for the show even though she doesn't appear to be at all involved with the creative side of things.

35 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:

What do y'all think about the Velma show?

I find it's best that I don't.

Just kind of faces real misfortune as being yet more dull culture war fodder while at the same time being the postershow for the trend of grafting established IP onto a premise in order to get the show made in the first place. Bit like if Venture Brothers were forced to be an actual Johnny Quest remake.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Colly said:

What does that mean for the UK? Disney+ has always seemed the obvious fit, I've been hanging onto two seasons of repeats from E4 3 years ago on my TV box.

In Canada and some other territories, King of the Hill is on Disney+, so I'd fully expect the reboot to land there across the board.

The wife and I just finished watching through the entirety of the show, and it held up quite well over the years. Mike Judge hit a homer with the new Beavis and Butt-head as well, so I feel pretty excited for the revival.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Lineker said:

Missed the news that Hulu have picked up the King of the Hill revival. Excited!

I'd @ Cloudy but can't remember his username!

@Lineker

@MalaCloudy Black

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lineker said:

I don't know what they'll do about Luanne. I'm ready for it to be totes emoshe though. 

They'll have to do something about both Luanne and Lucky.

I wonder if they'll recast Kahn? I'm not sure you can have a white guy voicing an Asian character in 2023.

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Hobo said:

They'll have to do something about both Luanne and Lucky.

I wonder if they'll recast Kahn? I'm not sure you can have a white guy voicing an Asian character in 2023.

I'm almost certain Kahn will be recast.

I guess the obvious thing they could do for Luanne and Lucky is to (if the characters are to be aged up as rumoured) have killed them off whilst the show was away, and channel Luanne through Gracie?

When they announced the returning cast it was everyone but Toby Huss so I assume Kahn will either be recast or written out. I do hope they find something for Toby to do, though, given that if it's an actual revival and not a reboot Cotton would be out of the picture as well.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

When they announced the returning cast it was everyone but Toby Huss so I assume Kahn will either be recast or written out. I do hope they find something for Toby to do, though, given that if it's an actual revival and not a reboot Cotton would be out of the picture as well.

Adult Good Hank.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2023 at 20:32, Kazuma KiRuki said:

Legends of Vox Machina season 2 has been fantastic so far. 

I waited for the series to be up before tuning in. It's really great stuff. I know they're talking about quite a bit of future material but even if they were to just stick with campaign one, get that done, and then move on to campaign two it would have so much great material. Really high quality, they've done an amazing job of trimming down so many hours of content in to a digestible and enjoyable series.

22 minutes ago, lanky316 said:

I waited for the series to be up before tuning in. It's really great stuff. I know they're talking about quite a bit of future material but even if they were to just stick with campaign one, get that done, and then move on to campaign two it would have so much great material. Really high quality, they've done an amazing job of trimming down so many hours of content in to a digestible and enjoyable series.

They announced recently that The Mighty Nein is getting made.

Just watched the BBC comedy Whites from 2010, pretty good. Never heard of it before, but I got a recommended video on youtube which included a clip. Alan Davies, Isy Suttie, Katherine Parkinson. Pretty good stuff. Shame it was cancelled. Could have had a nice second season.