General Television Thread 2023

We started a re-watch of Monk last night and discovered that a Monk movie just came out on Peacock last week.

I also reminded myself that Monk is a show that boasts guest stars such as Willie Nelson, Korn, Meat Loaf and Snoop Dog. As well as having an episode written by Jon Wurster from the Mountain Goats.

Not to mention two Randy Newman songs were written for it.

• Like 2

From behind the spoiler cut of my Scott Pilgrim Takes Off thoughts:

The only thing that it can't really give me (probably!) that the movie failed to give me is the reveal of what an unreliable narrator the comic version of Scott is.

Spoiler

Hmmm, well, no, they did sort of do that after all, just not with that Scott. Not entirely sure how I feel about that.

Overall feelings on it are I think it's very good and I think it was worth doing the way they did it. It's more interesting seeing the piece of pop culture that depicts a specific sort of person/humor of the 2000s/turn of the 2010s try to reckon with it in the 2020s, as much as I'd have liked a more faithful comic adaptation (but like the show pretty much addresses, there's stuff in there that a contemporary audience would probably be pretty unhappy with!). The animation is gorgeous, and I think the voice acting gets better across the board the longer they go with the series.

That being said, the sweet spot for me was the middle portion, where it was just Ramona reckoning with her own actions and the series shining more of a light on the exes. Once Scott showed back up I started drifting from it, which is why I only finished it now. Future episode had some really fun stuff (Scott and the twins' awful band was great).

The final episode, for the most part, felt a bit too neat from the perspective of everyone but Scott and Ramona who have the same sort of "we'll probably fuck this up but we'll try anyway" ending. I also just hate, hate, hate time travel stories at this point so it turning into a time travel thing was never going to work for me.

• Like 2

'What We Do in the Shadows’ Sixth Season Will Be Its Last

Sad, but I'd rather see the show go out while its still good, rather then hang around long after the wells run dry

• Like 4

The bit at the end...

Spoiler

Mortys fear proves groundless, because Rick very obviously does care about him enough to carry his picture with him in his wallet. Sweet little moment that shows Rick really does give a shit in spite of every attempt to indicate otherwise.

• Like 2

The Guardian names The Bear top of their Top 50 TV Shows of the year list, and I'm glad because whilst I don't watch a ton of brand new tele, I have recently gone through this entire series (bar the finale) and have absolutely loved it.

The quality of the acting, dialogue, scene-setting and visuals are just so brilliant and I've really enjoyed the second season's character deep-dives, particularly for Marcus and Richie.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam said:

The Guardian names The Bear top of their Top 50 TV Shows of the year list, and I'm glad because whilst I don't watch a ton of brand new tele, I have recently gone through this entire series (bar the finale) and have absolutely loved it.

The quality of the acting, dialogue, scene-setting and visuals are just so brilliant and I've really enjoyed the second season's character deep-dives, particularly for Marcus and Richie.

I had no idea there was a second season of Time

On 20/12/2023 at 14:58, Lint said:

'What We Do in the Shadows’ Sixth Season Will Be Its Last

Sad, but I'd rather see the show go out while its still good, rather then hang around long after the wells run dry

I had no idea that they were already on it's 6th season. The streaming service here only has until season 3, of which I watched the finale thinking that it was the final episode of the series, and cried a couple of times.

Glad at least I still get another 3 seasons when it finally comes out on Hotstar. 

17 hours ago, Captain Kirk said:

Slow Horses Season 3, another great season. Gary Oldman is fantastic in it again, can’t wait for Season 4.

Just smashes through that in 2 days. Brilliant stuff and will defo feature highly in my end of the year list. 

We've now moved onto A Murder at the End of the World. Slow / steady pacing and slightly overlong epsiodes aside, it's good and interesting enough to continue. 

• Like 1

Watching Squid Game: The Challenge. Currently near the end of Episode 3: War.

Spoiler

Love how they thought it was going to be Tug of War, but ended up being Battleship. 2 of my favorite players got eliminated, though. (Bryton and Figgy.) TJ may be too positive, but he was a beast as a Captain.